If return flight is late, what to do in town (FLL). luggage concerns?

wrxrob

For our first cruise, the flights available to return home are later in the day (i.e. 8pm departure). What can you do in that timeframe, and where do you keep your luggage?

For instance, I'd like to explore the town a bit, but I'm not so fond of having to roll around the luggage wherever we go. Does it give time to rent a car for the day? and if so, can you rent one from the port?

What do you do in FLL when only a late return flight is available?

We had an 8:30 flight after Oasis. We rented a van, loaded up the luggage and drive to South Beach via some lunch. Nothing exciting, but we had just left Oasis, just time killers. If you are sailing RCI they had a luggage valet program that takes your bag to the airport, takes care of your boarding pass and you just show up at the airport and meet your bags at home.

thanks for the info on luggage valet. We are looking at the Ruby Princess. From a quick search, it looks like they offer DHL luggage valet that ships it from your home :eek: to the port for $90:rolleyes:

I'd rather just have it shipped from the boat to the airport, and checked.

Thanks for the info. never heard of luggage valet, so will research further :)

Just going to throw another idea out there...there are a lot of hotels in FLL...you can see if one will let you get a day room. If you can get one close to restaurants and things you can take a taxi there and drop off your things...go to lunch, do a little sightseeing or whatever and then go back to the hotel and hang at the pool, rest...etc until its time to head over to the airport...

The Luggage Valet Service is not free and does not help with your valuables and/or carry on/off luggage. On the other hand, you can get a one day rental car in south Florida for less then $50 for a single day. You can use this card for your transportation and luggage storage. Sounds like a good deal to me. In the end its cheaper then using the luggage valet service plus whatever transportation you will still need for your day and to get to the airport.

Hank

thanks for the info on luggage valet. We are looking at the Ruby Princess. From a quick search, it looks like they offer DHL luggage valet that ships it from your home :eek: to the port for $90:rolleyes:

I'd rather just have it shipped from the boat to the airport, and checked.

Thanks for the info. never heard of luggage valet, so will research further :)

The luggage valet I was talking about takes your luggage from the ship to the airport for you for $20/pp. I do not know if Princess offers this so perhaps you can ask on the Princess board or ask your travel agent to find out. I have used it on Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

We simply took a cab from the port to the airport - did an early checkin with our luggage but did NOT go thru security. Caught a cap and did sight seeing.

I also remember the aiport in Fort. Lauderdale had a place to "store" luggage - there was a line up but looked like another option

Archived