First Timer - Glory Summer 2011 - Tons of ?'s

JenPett

Hi,

I am looking to book my first cruise with my family on the Glory in either July or August to Canada. It will be the first cruise for all of us. I have been reading up on the ship, but have some questions.

We will be traveling with my (then) 2 year old son. I have a few questions about the Camp program. 1. Will he be able to participate? (I know that he meets the age requirements, but are there age-appropriate activities for him?) 2. Is there a "play room" that has toys, mats, etc.? 3. Did you feel comfortable leaving your child there? Will they allow parents to stay until the child is comfortable?

Now about the stateroom. I am also concerned about bathing my son. He is used to taking a bath. From what I gather, only the suites have a tub. Is it worth the $$$ to go with the suite? I assume it is more room than the other staterooms, which may come in handy when he naps and goes to bed earlier than us. Do the rooms have DVD players?

Does anyone have any information about the port parking prices? What do you do with your luggage? Do you have to take a bus to the ship from the parking lot? If the cruise leaves at 5:00pm, what time can you actually board the ship?

Okay, I apologize for all of the questions. I want to make sure that we are making the best decisions for our vacation this summer.

JenPett

Hi,

I am looking to book my first cruise with my family on the Glory in either July or August to Canada. It will be the first cruise for all of us. I have been reading up on the ship, but have some questions.

We will be traveling with my (then) 2 year old son. I have a few questions about the Camp program. 1. Will he be able to participate? (I know that he meets the age requirements, but are there age-appropriate activities for him?) 2. Is there a "play room" that has toys, mats, etc.? 3. Did you feel comfortable leaving your child there? Will they allow parents to stay until the child is comfortable?

Now about the stateroom. I am also concerned about bathing my son. He is used to taking a bath. From what I gather, only the suites have a tub. Is it worth the $$$ to go with the suite? I assume it is more room than the other staterooms, which may come in handy when he naps and goes to bed earlier than us. Do the rooms have DVD players?

Does anyone have any information about the port parking prices? What do you do with your luggage? Do you have to take a bus to the ship from the parking lot? If the cruise leaves at 5:00pm, what time can you actually board the ship?

Okay, I apologize for all of the questions. I want to make sure that we are making the best decisions for our vacation this summer.

JenPett

Camp- you ar correct that the age will be fine but your child may or may not want to go. There are times that camp is not in scession that they will let you go in and stay with the child so they can play with the toys and such. But as far as you staying with them I don't believe you can stay more than a few minutes while there are other kids in there. An the camp area on Glory when we were on her was appropriatly suited for kids although I don't remember if they had mats there were a good bit of toys toplay with.

On the bathing part I believe my son had some of his first showers on a Cruise Ship. The showers have the "hose" that you can bring down to their level. this allows for a little more comfortable experience...I don't see popping the extra $$$ for a bathtub...plus your child may love the shower.

No DVD palyers in the rooms.....although the Glory was recently refurbished and I believe they put flat screens in the rooms and there may be a place on the TV to hook one up...don't quote me on that though.....but if you have one that will fit in your carryon try it and see.....we have taken a portable DVD palyer and it works pretty good for entertainment purposes.....not much cartoons on the TV either.

Can't help with the port parking much as we have not cruised from Miami yet. But most ports will let you in the terminal around 11 a.m. We like to get on ASAP to start our Vaca.

Hope this helps some......One more thing Bring an Umbrella Type Stroller as this will come in Handy!!! Plus it folds up nicely and tucks away.

Have Fun!!!

Hi,

There is parking right at the port, it costs $ 30 a day. (http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html )

I usually go late since I work a half day and then go to the port. I would it think boarding would start about 11:30 or 12 as I have done with cruises out of Florida. I will find out since I will be going again this summer and leaving on a Saturday this time.

You might want to check the boards under ports, I think someone mentioned staying at a hotel in NJ and then having free parking there while they cruised which is another option.

JenPett

If you do it I am sure you will have a great time I have done this cruise at least 6 times.

I am doing my first Carnival Glory cruise in June to Canada. This is what I have found out. (I started cruising with my boys when the youngest was 2 also)

There will be age appropriate activities for your child. They want happy parents that want to come back again and again to cruise. We are NCL cruisers (until June) with our boys and they loved loved loved (yep 3 loves) the kids area there. I am sure it is the same on pretty much every line. There were kids to play with and it was hard to get them to leave. Now at 8 and 10 they like to skip it because they are jsut too cool! LOL They will most likely not let you stay there with him for safety reasons, but he may surprise you and go eagerly in. Of course you will be nervous and check on him all the time, but it gets better.

About the bath, I would not spend the extra on a suite, just do the shower thing. My boys loved the shower after cruising. Still would take baths, but they started as showers and when the tub fillled up it was a bath. LOL You know your child best though so that is your call.

I have read the port parking prices are pretty pricy. I believe I read it was $150 for parking for 5 days there. OUCH. I founf that out after we booked so I am setting money aside to cover that cost. I am sure someone else will know for sure about the price.

We learned that booking a balcony room was worth the extra price while your son is napping you have a nice place to relax. If you are like me, they sell a big section cup wedgie that you put ont he door and the door will not slide open. We made a rule that they were not to go on the balcony without an adult for any reason, and that worked out. I am sure there is a lock on the door too. It was fine, but you know your child the best.

Good luck with your decision. I will keep reading to see what else you find out about the ship.

One thing I did with our youngest son (4 at the time) before our first cruise was to show him pictures of the Camp Carnival area on the Carnival website. He couldn't wait to see the real thing. For the 2-5 age group, they will give you a phone or beeper to call you if needed.

Cabins - I second the suggestion that you get a balcony to give you a place to hang out while your son is napping. There is a lock on the door.

Parking - It is $30 per day in New York. Expensive, but it is convenient. Since we travel with our kids, it works out cheaper than public transportation. When you arrive, park your car and drop off your luggage with the porters who will be there (if they're not right at the parking area, they will be down at the boarding level - there's a large elevator from the parking area down to boarding). Make sure all of your checked bags have tags with your name and cabin number - Carnival will provide those in your documents. We try to arrive around 11:00 for boarding in New York (they start the boarding process around 11) - the goal is to be on the Lido deck having lunch by noon or thereabouts. Cabins will be available at 1:30.

Hope this helps - the Canada cruise was our first cruise too, and we were hooked!

• 1 month later...

Carnival Glory to Canada will be our very first non-caribbean cruise. I am excited but also nervous. I'd love to hear about this cruise from past cruisers. We've never been on Glory and in fact haven't been on a Carnival ship since 04'. This will only be our 3rd cruise.

It's just me and my wife (we get married two weeks before this cruise, it's a honeymoon surprise) and we are easy to please.

Any info shared would be great!

Archived