No cabin numbers that end in 13?

FastEddy

I just noticed that there are no cabin numbers that end in 13 on the ship we are sailing on. I then checked a few other ship deck plans and could not find any there either. A search of the web yielded no answers as to why. No floor 13 is pretty obvious why not, but a cabin number ending in 13 seems to be a stretch to me. I didn't know the cruise lines were THAT superstitious.

I just noticed that there are no cabin numbers that end in 13 on the ship we are sailing on. I then checked a few other ship deck plans and could not find any there either. A search of the web yielded no answers as to why. No floor 13 is pretty obvious why not, but a cabin number ending in 13 seems to be a stretch to me. I didn't know the cruise lines were THAT superstitious.
Perhaps it is due to triskaidekaphobia.

Silly stupid superstitions. :rolleyes: I never understood why so many buildings don't have a 13th floor either, like anyone can't figure out the "14th" floor is really the 13th? :confused:

Having been in the Navy, I can tell you that sailors are one of the most superstitious groups of people in the world. We have certain customs and traditions that we dare not break.

One that I remember was that every time our ship left port, a crew member would, without making a big fuss over it, toss a Susan B. Anthony silver dollar off the stern -- this goes back to Roman and Greek sailors who would toss a silver item overboard as they left port as an offering to Neptune/Poseidon for a safe voyage. I will be doing the same when our ship leaves port this weekend.

Archived