Driving Service for a day?

jimantha

My group of 6 is looking to get a driver to take us out to Rum Point Beach for the day.. maybe take us to some local shops in the late afternoon, or what not.

Anyway, in Roatan there's a couple tour companies where they will provide you with a driver for a nominal fee... I'm not seeing anything like that for Grand Cayman.

I've heard that we can wait until we hit port and just get a driver at port, but I'd rather not leave it that up to chance.

So... who can I contact?

Nothing in Cayman comes with a nominal fee. :rolleyes:

Prices can be quite steep for a taxi so the general recommendation is to rent a car to get to Rum Point. Most of the rental companies offer passenger vans as an option.

I was afraid this is what I was going to hear. My group doesn't want (read older group members) to have to drive on the other side of the road. My husband and I are open to the idea, but I've been asked to locate a driving service.

My MIL says that we should be able to hire a taxi driver for the day for $150.. any possiblity of this happening?

My MIL says that we should be able to hire a taxi driver for the day for $150.. any possiblity of this happening?

For a van-load of 6 people, to go all the way out to Rum Point and then wait for you for the return trip? You might find someone, but it would likely cost more than that.

A taxi to take a party of 2-3 people from George Town to Rum Point (or the reverse) with no waiting time is approx. $80 US plus tip. So, at the very least, I would guess that it would be $160...plus however much extra for the additional passengers and the wait time...

If there's only a few ships in port that day, you might be able to negoiate a deal with one of the drivers outside the port area. Sometimes if it's slow they'll work for less than they would if it was really busy. If you want to arrange something in advance, I'd try contacting a couple of the companies that advertise island tours, see if they could do something for you.

My group of 6 is looking to get a driver to take us out to Rum Point Beach for the day.. maybe take us to some local shops in the late afternoon, or what not.

Anyway, in Roatan there's a couple tour companies where they will provide you with a driver for a nominal fee... I'm not seeing anything like that for Grand Cayman.

I've heard that we can wait until we hit port and just get a driver at port, but I'd rather not leave it that up to chance.

So... who can I contact?

Roatan is a poor place GC is a rich place. Big difference!

For $69.00 pp This company will take you wherever you want to go for a day.

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanIslandsTour.htm

Also, since your MIL thinks it should only be $150, did you ask her where she got this idea? Maybe she has a contact?

Just thought of something else,

Or, you could go to Kaibo instead. They run a water taxi at $25.00 per person return trip (min. 6 people).

http://www.kaibo.ky/2010/05/water-taxi-special/

Even if they are willing to do a special daytime trip (it's usually a service for the dinner crowd) you'll need to get to one of their pickup points.

Camana Bay is probably the easiest (it's a mall on a back road that parallels SMB). It would be about $5 or so per person each way for a taxi. You'd have to get one of the stores or restaurants there to call a taxi for the return trip, so leave plenty of time to get back to the port.

Even if they are willing to do a special daytime trip (it's usually a service for the dinner crowd) you'll need to get to one of their pickup points.

Camana Bay is probably the easiest (it's a mall on a back road that parallels SMB). It would be about $5 or so per person each way for a taxi. You'd have to get one of the stores or restaurants there to call a taxi for the return trip, so leave plenty of time to get back to the port.

Well I thought it might be worth trying to contact them and see if they would do a daytime trip. I stumbled on this myself while trying to figure out how to get to Rum Point. As we are only 4 we have decided to rent a car. I have driven on the opposite side and that doesn't bother me. What bugs me is now I can't have any frou frou drinks:rolleyes:.

Roatan is a poor place GC is a rich place. Big difference!

For $69.00 pp This company will take you wherever you want to go for a day.

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanIslandsTour.htm

Also, since your MIL thinks it should only be $150, did you ask her where she got this idea? Maybe she has a contact?

She did it over 10 years ago and they only went to smb.... which is why I'm highly skeptical. I fully understood that it was a pipe dream for that amount of money. I'll try contacting a couple of the tour companies and see if any one on my roll call would be interested too.

Archived