US Airways, Lost Luggage, What do you pack in your carry on just in case?????

Linda2433

Flying US Air actually United but have to check in at US air and i Believe it is a us Airways Plane??? from Hartford, CT to Philadelphia to Ft. Lauderdale for cruise on 4/16. Flying in day before Getting nervous about all the lost luggage in Philadelphia. I already keep in my carryon anything I couldn't live without, any jewelry, meds etc. What do you put for clothes/shoes in case your luggage does get lost? There is only so much room, I am getting ready to take an extra carry on or something. Never had luggage lost, what does one do when this happens, where do you buy all the clothes you need for the trip? Help, really getting nervous about this happening. Thanks for any suggestions.

We pack a day's worth of clothing and two days' worth of underwear. We also carry medications, toothbrushes & toothpaste & some toiletries with us. We fit it into either a knapsack or large gym bag without too much trouble. Using a giant Ziploc or travel bag that you can squeeze the air out of will reduce the bulk of the clothes.

If worst comes to worst, you can find replacement stuff when you arrive at the port city. Another reason to fly in a day early, I suppose.

When you give your bags to the ships' porters, be aware that they may not arrive in your cabin until after dinner. You might therefore wish to have your dinner clothes & anything you need to get ready plus a swimsuit (if you're planning on a swim or suntan prior to embarkation) with you instead as you board the shi.

Our luggage was lost on our second cruise. My husband and I had packed everything into one suitcase. We checked it at the airport and didn't see it again until 3 weeks after the cruise. Unfortunately, I had not put a lot of thought into packing a carryon. I did have a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for each of us and a change of underwear. But that was it.

This was a bad itinerary to have no luggage as well. The first day was Grand Caymen. Great! Except the cruiseline assured us our luggage would catch up with us and we'd have it that night. So we didn't buy anything. Luggage didn't show up. Then we went to Roatan - not a lot of shopping, Belize - also not a lot of shopping, a sea day, and our last day was Cozumel. Good shopping in Cozumel, but it was a little too late at that point.

So, having lived through this once - this is what I now pack in my carry-on:

2 pairs of shorts for me, 2 pairs of shorts for my husband

at least 2 t-shirts or tank tops for me and 2 t-shirts for my husband

swimsuits for both of us

sandals

face soap

face lotion

makeup

one casual/semi formal outfit that can be worn to the dining room for each of us

And of course anything else I can stick in there - but those have to make it.

When this happened I just had my black shoes and black socks from the plane. This is not a good look with shorts. And I had a really hard time finding shoes to fit. I never did - I finally bought a pair of sandals on board that were two sizes too big - they were better than nothing.

I bought the world's ugliest and least flattering swimsuit on board, another pair of shorts and a tank top. My face broke out terribly because I didn't have my normal face soap and had to use the harsh stuff in the cabin. Then I didn't have any makeup to cover this up. I had nothing to wear to the dining room except my jeans I had worn on the plane. I got lots of nasty looks wearing jeans and a t-shirt to dinner every night. We were traveling with family - but the other two women traveling with me weigh about 80-100 lbs more than I do so I couldn't borrow anything from them. Their feet are also 4 sizes bigger than mine.

It was pretty bad. Not my favorite cruise. We did make do, but it was tough. And I have learned my lesson! We did have cruise insurance, so the insurance reimbursed us for everything we bought, but with such bad shopping ports there wasn't much to buy. (don't get me wrong, I loved Roatan and Belize - but there wasn't much shopping to be done!) The ship also gave us free laundry service - so at least we didn't have to wear dirty clothes the whole week.

Anyway - really sit down and think about what is the bare minimum you could survive with!

I guess I just can't imagine trying to buy all the things I would pack in a few short hours before I needed to board the ship, plus you would need to buy luggage to bring the stuff home so they could lose it again. If luggage doesn't make it to Ft. Lauderdale on Fri. how long have people had to wait to get theirs and how many never did get their stuff back?

I always split our clothes into different suitcases - some dressy, some casual for both of us in both suitcases. Besides the essentials (prescriptions, contact lens/glasses) I carry our swim suits in our carry on whether it's a land or cruise vacation. Lost luggage is a lot easier to deal with if you are sitting next to a pool while you are waiting for it to show up.

I would just get to the airport 2 hours early so tht your bags have plenty of time to pass thru the security system and make it on your plane in time. they were saying on the news here that the reason luggage was lost is due to heightened security and the bags taking too long to get thru the xray machines.

This is an important subject having been someone who's luggage was lost last August after a visit to my family in Mexico for a wedding. I usually never do a carry on...I'd never had a problem. But this time it was. I always put (2) days of clothes, several undies/socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, medications, any film or cameras, jewelry, makeup. And anything that's important.... Anything that if the luggage never came back to you, you would be devestated or upset about...... I'm a nurse and was very stupid by not putting my meds or film/camera in my carryon.....Will never do that again...... lol......And not just for the possible lost luggage but if the airport has tampered with my luggage.. On this same trip, when my luggage came to me, it had been messed with. I not only had garbage in my suitcase but a ladies I.D. that wasn't mine and she was a VIP flyer for a foreign airline..Not even remotely related to the airline I was on....very strange........

I would just get to the airport 2 hours early so tht your bags have plenty of time to pass thru the security system and make it on your plane in time. they were saying on the news here that the reason luggage was lost is due to heightened security and the bags taking too long to get thru the xray machines.

I would just add that it is my experience that luggage is delayed or lost during those really short layovers...ya know the kind where you run from one end of the terminal to the other and barely make your connecting flight. The luggage isn't able to make the same journey as quickly. That is when your luggage ends up on a different airplane than what you're on...and then sometimes bad things happen.

I would just add that it is my experience that luggage is delayed or lost during those really short layovers...

Yes, this is my experience too. In fact it happened to us last week - all our checked bags did not make it onto our plane. Luckily it was our return flight home from our cruise so who cares at that point! We were home!

Anyway, I was just going to say that there are shops on the ship that carry a pretty good assortment of 'cruise wear' in my opinion. The clothing prices weren't outrageous and especially if insurance will reimburse you then that wouldn't be as much an issue. If I was faced with this problem, I would buy a few things in those shops and not waste my port days running around trying to shop for clothes. My 2 cents! :) (of course DO pack the things others are listing in your carry-ons)

ok, pack alot in the carry on. I have a decent size carry on for jewelry, meds, makeup etc. A bathin suit, won't really fit all these clothes everybody is saying to pack. What kind of carry on is the best to pack all this stuff in and will it fit under the seat infront of me on the plane?

When we travel my hubby carrys on a garmet bag and his backpack (counts as his personal item). I do a 20" carry on with wheels and my backpack (since my purse is inside it, it counts as my carry on).

Garmet bag has both my formals, my hubbys suit and shirts plus that nights dinner clothes. It also has one pr of each of our shoes (in outside pockets). I stick our swim suits and a change of undies in the bottom of the bag.

In his backpack he has his MP3 player, small bottle of suntan lotion, his cell phone, tooth brush, tooth paste (travel size), our snakes, medicine and face wash. With extra room we will it with odds and ends.

My wheeled carry on has ALL the camera's (we take 3 - don't ask) film (40 rolls - again don't ask), my MP3 player (it use to be a CD player with CDs), water cameras, throw away cameras, a hand held gaem, walkie talkies, and our portable DVD player. If there is any room I will stick something in it. You can get these as cheap as $20 at WalMart. But remember you get what you pay for. I have a $50 one that is sturdy!!!!

My backpack has my purse, tooth brush, tooth paste (travel size), a small thing with the makeup basic, small bottle of sun tan lotion, all docs, cell phone, and jewelry!! We bought our backpacks at WalMart for $15 each. It is the BEST thing I have bought!!

We use the backpacks in port as well.

We have been lucky (knocking on wood) that our suitcases have only been "lost" once (on our last cruise), but it was on our way back. However, the airport we flew into was 3 hours away. We were told they were hoping they were on the next flight coming in, and they were. On connecting flights you want at least an hour layover. Anything under that and you are "taking a chance". It is true if you only have 30 minutes then you can bet it would take your suitcase at least 45 to an hour to get to the next flight.

I book with AA and I can go in and pick everything from our flights (with the connections) to our seats.

We lost our luggage once and yes it was US Air and a connection in Philadelphia! We flew in the afternoon of our cruise (I know, I know, never again) and had 2 sea days before we got to St. Martaan. We had NO carryon. We had absolutely NOTHING! Just the jeans and long sleeved shirts we wore on the plane.

It was a Carnival cruise and they comped us each formal wear, including shoes. The shoes didn't fit, but they were much better than the tennis shoes we'd boarded in. We went on a shopping spree in the gift shops: shorts, dress, sandals, makeup, toiletries, bathing suits, work-out clothes, etc. The only thing they didn't have was underwear. We washed them out in our cabin each night.

All turned out well, though. Our luggage caught up to us in St. Martaan and US Air reimbursed us for ALL our purchases.

i didn't realize you were allowed to take on two carry on's. I thought each person was allowed one and then a woman could bring her pocketbook, which i would just carry a huge one. So my husband could bring a garment bag and a carry on? I feel like switching my plane out of Philadelphia to someplace else,wish i had known all this back last May when I booked, plus United or Us Airway keeps changing the flights, we were suppose to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale by like 2/3pm, now we don't get in until 6pm on Fri. but we do have a 2 hour lay over in Philadelphia so hopefully the luggage will make it on our plane to Ft. Lauderdale. This has always been my worse nightmare about flying that my luggage does make it where I am going.

Most airlines allow two checked pp. Then a carry on and a "personal item". Check your airline web site to be 100%. It should state one carry on and a personal item. The personal item would be your backpack. I take all we are allowed. I didn't either till I saw this site. As a tip they listed the backpack.

Here is what US Air has on carry ons:

Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece per customer, plus a personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop, small backpack, diaper bag or camera case. The personal item cannot exceed total overall dimensions of 36 inches, and the other item of baggage cannot exceed the following maximum dimensions:

http://www.usairways.com/customers/travel_policies/baggage/#Checked%20Baggage%20Allowance

Hope this helps.

I really should not say this, but our luggage has never been "lost". You also have to know that if you have a long time for connection, the airlines have been known to put your luggage on the next outgoing flight even if you are not on it. So much for the matching people to bags. Have you ever noticed when you go to a baggage claim area there is a large amount of luggage sitting around?

All the airlines, not just US Scareways has a problem with offloading luggage and getting it to the right plane on a connection. :D

We carry our meds, makeup (limited amount), jewelry, camera (only 1 here :D)and reading material.My purse also goes into the carryon so I can make use of a small backpack which we use to pack our snacks for the plane and wine for the ship - we pick up the wine in FLL after arrival.:)

Earphones (we have probably bought 2 dozen pair over the years) some snacks as the lack of food is now universal across the airlines for short flights.

We get to the airport between 1 1/2 to 2 hours ahead of time, and then have something good to eat and our first celebratory drink :) Once we are through security, we firmly believe we are now on vacation. I don't care what time it is, it is 5pm somehwere :D

After reading this post, I am going to add a set of undies each and our bathing suits. I have no problem with the shampoo, soaps, etc. on board the ship if my luggage takes its own trip.

I like others, pack the two rollons to be checked with half mine/half his. Also, this time I am going to try the 2.5 gal ziplock bags.

Question - on the tags that come with your docs, do you put them on before you leave home or wait until you get to your hotel? I was always worried that some airline luggage person would read them incorrectly and that is a reason for some getting their luggage lost.

Also, heard a new ruling from Homeland Security coming in to effect. Absolutely no butane or zippo type lighters will be allowed on the plane even in checked luggage. I didn't hear if they mentioned matches. Anyone know?

Question - on the tags that come with your docs, do you put them on before you leave home or wait until you get to your hotel?
We worry about them getting torn off at some point during flights so we put them on when arriving at the pre-cruise hotel.

Also, heard a new ruling from Homeland Security coming in to effect. Absolutely no butane or zippo type lighters will be allowed on the plane even in checked luggage. I didn't hear if they mentioned matches. Anyone know?
Yes, I read about this recently and that it will be going into effect April 14. Wooden matches had already been on the restricted list. One can still take regular matchbook though (cardboard style).

~Paul

The only time I've ever had luggage get lost was also during a connection. We were flying from Atlanta to Vancouver, and it was cheaper to take Northwest, which had a layover in Minneapolis, rather than the direct flight.

Stuff like that makes me glad I live in Atlanta - our airport is large enough that chances are you can get a direct flight to just about anywhere easily - we have one to FLL this coming Saturday - here's hoping we don't have any problems!

Since my DH is heavy, I make sure to pack most of his things, one each of mine(tee, jacket, pts, shorts, suit,cover-up, undies), all meds and emergency supplies and some shoes. I figure I could survive w. ship cruisewear. My carry-on is expandable but barely fit Jet Blue's max requirements. I did use the zip-locks which compressed everything beautifully and made it easy to unpack. The rest of our stuff is split evenly between our checked garment bag and checked pullman. I fugure they can't lose it all!!

Here's a good one. I packed only a carry on for a trip to CT to see my family. (legal size) When I got on the plane, they said no more room for carryon's in the overhead compartment, and I had to check it at the gangplank.

LUGGAGE NEVER SEEN AGAIN.

Had a video camera, a digital camera, mp3 player, memory cards...

Read the fine print on luggage reimbursment....

NOT resposible for any electronic equipment, cameras, computers, mp3 players, and of course jewelry...not a penny in reimbursment.

So, I pack that equipment in my backback, and it stays with me. Can always find room to slide it under a seat, so they can't take it from me.

Hi,

I never used to pack a good carry on either.... until:

Went on a 12 night cruise to Tahiti...There was a big storm system on east coast the night I was to fly out (a day early), they tried to get me on the last flight, using Northwest, but when I got to the gate, Northwest said NOPE, go back to United. I couldn't get on the plane, but apparently my luggage did. Anyway, flew to LA the next morning, and of course my luggage was supposed to be in LA. Nope..... I had to make a charter flight to Tahiti, so I spoke with United reps, and Northwest reps advising them about my luggage, they took all information, etc.

When I go on the ship, the ship took over communications to find my luggage....long story short, luggage never made it to the ship, I had one pair of Teva's (that I wore on the plane), and the clothes on my back. At the time, I was quite large, so finding a bathing suit was totally not going to happen (thankfully, i was traveling with someone similar in size that had the foresight to pack a good carry on with 2 bathing suits :)

Now, my carry on is crammed to capacity.

PS: my luggage was sitting in the Northwest unclaimed luggage area when I got back from the cruise... tsk tsk

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, it's probably on Jet Bue's web site. My luggage was an expandable which fit into their frame work but wouldn't have if I had loaded up the expandable section. Phew!! Jet Blue is a pleasure to fly on, even the check-in was handled graciously- with a rep going asking each person their flight time and making sure no-one missed their take-off(this was at JFK)

Archived