Booze prices exorbitant

Boatingmom

You did it again' date=' Little Missy. :rolleyes::D Your boast that you have "outgrown the need to 'party' " strongly implies that those who haven't :"outgrown" having a good time with friends are immature and have yet failed to reach the level of maturation that you, in all your exalted self-absorbed glory, have attained.

And, once again, you are wrong. I was pointing out why a lot of people tend to "party" more on a cruise ship than they might at home. And since "cruising" is what CC is all about, it seemed appropriate to mention it in a cruising context.

Many of us who love to "party" never get drunk, never have headaches or hangovers, and are extremely mature members of society. And the phrase "partying" refers to a state of mind and doesn't necessarily have to include alcohol. You should not try to force your generalized biases upon other people. Especially when your generalized biases are inaccurate. :D[/quote']

Gratefully, we live in a country where you can feel perfectly fine going out to "party" (though we know in your case that means a night out at the library), and I can feel perfectly fine knowing I have outgrown the need to go out drinking and acting like I did when I was 20 to have a good time. God love democracy ;) Peace out, my friend.

No, the 15% gratuity is based on the price of the drink after the coupon is applied.

For example, with no bar coupon, a classic cocktail is $8.75, add 15% gratuity of $1.32, for a total of $10.07. With a bar coupon, the classic cocktail is $3.25 ($8.75 less $5.50 credit), 15% gratuity of $0.49, for a total of $3.74.

Only reason I know this is because I started a thread after using bar coupons during my first cruise last year. I got a weird vibe from the servers when I would present one. I knew from my receipts that the gratuity was calculated after the coupon was applied. I questioned if the bartenders receive a smaller gratuity when a coupon is used versus no coupon. They do receive a much smaller gratuity when a coupon is used.

Unfortunately (for the bartender) this is 100% correct info.

i bring my own...

IMG_5194.jpg

it's an insulated tumbler, with flip top built in straw and everything - very convenient to carry around and keeps the drink cold with some ice. something like 30 oz, too, so it holds quite a bit more than the standard glass.

i bring it to the bars, also, and even if they just serve in the normal glasses - i'll order 2 of whatever, and just pour them in. the one in the picture specifically was filled at the pride's piano bar, by a particularly nice bartender :D

Where exactly on the Bon Voyage page on Carnival can you buy bottles of vodka, rum, gin etc.? All I see is some wine. Thanks.........

Where exactly on the Bon Voyage page on Carnival can you buy bottles of vodka, rum, gin etc.? All I see is some wine. Thanks.........

actually, for some reason i do not understand at all, you cannot order the liquor online...

you have to call 1.800.522.7648 M-F 9AM - 5.30PM EST to place your order. orders should be placed 1 week before sailing, though i've read of some variance in that time frame... some have been told 2 weeks, some have ordered 2 days in advance...

here's the page with that info:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Gifts_CustomerService.aspx

I use this same container, LOL. I Love it! Bought it in Red and Lime Green from WallyWorld something like $5 bucks and it sure does keep your beverage cooler for longer :D

lol, too funny. it's the best one i've found yet. still have mine but will have to buy a few extras for 'new additions' the next cruise. MUCH better than anything they sell onboard! :)

i prefer to carry it around the ship with me - and fill up at the bars, rather than those tiny little glasses. keeps it cooler, prevents spills while walking about the ship, and limits trips to the bar, or cabin :D

. . +1 . .

thanks for the backup, don. hope you're well :)

Not sure if you are kidding. I would think that on a Carnival ship the bartenders are reguired to

do just that, namely "read / mix off a list of ingredients".

Spoke to a bartender on the Pride.

She said mgmt is VERY serious about bar staff not improvising. Maybe it was just her supervisor but

I don't think so.

no, i am definitely not kidding.

if all they did was read/mix off a list of ingredients, then for instance they couldn't make custom 'off the menu' drinks. i know, for a fact, that they will. we've ordered custom drinks - like one of my buddy's concoctions 'justice juice' (it's super strong, but tastes like a kiwi!) and bar staff have always been willing to accomodate.

further, i've definitely noted that tipping the bar staff will often result in stronger drinks... i've experienced this...

and i've had a few instances where they 'accidentally' brought me an extra drink... and a few where they have very purposefully given me a free drink, too...

i may not gamble much, but i guess i'm a bit of a high roller... AT THE BAR :eek:

last-call.jpg

Gratefully, we live in a country where you can feel perfectly fine going out to "party" (though we know in your case that means a night out at the library), and I can feel perfectly fine knowing I have outgrown the need to go out drinking and acting like I did when I was 20 to have a good time. God love democracy ;) Peace out, my friend.

Again, you use the term "outgrown". You just don't get it, do you? It has nothing to do with maturity or perceived maturity or immaturity. You are not special because you consider drinking childish, nor is the drunk special for being a heavy drinker.

And no one mentioned trying to act like they are 20 again. When I was 20, partying was the farthest thing from my mind. I was in Korea making the world safe for people like you to have the right to spout their biases and unsubstantiated "opinions" without fear of vile repercussions. Now, I am much, much older than 20 but still enjoy having a good time with friends (aka "partying") whether or not liquor is involved.

Your holier than thou protestations are like so much dust blowing in a flatulent wind ----meaningless and without a scintilla of justification despite their vituperative repetition of the same fallacious point, time after time. :) Open your mind, listen to what people are trying to tell you, and perhaps you will evolve into a better, more tolerant, and less sanctimonious human being who has "outgrown" putting other people down in order to make yourself feel superior.

Party on, Garthette.

Speaking of "partying on", Dana Carvey was the host of Saturday Night Live this week and the show opened with Wayne and Garth in the basement doing a segment of "Wayne's World". Very funny.

And then The Church Lady appeared in a scene where she was secretly lusting after Justin Bieber, who was also on the show.

I'm sure it will be re-run at some point in the next month or so and is well worth watching for those who loved the Mike Myers and Dana Carvey years of SNL.

thanks for the backup, don. hope you're well :)

no, i am definitely not kidding.

if all they did was read/mix off a list of ingredients, then for instance they couldn't make custom 'off the menu' drinks. i know, for a fact, that they will. we've ordered custom drinks - like one of my buddy's concoctions 'justice juice' (it's super strong, but tastes like a kiwi!) and bar staff have always been willing to accomodate.

further, i've definitely noted that tipping the bar staff will often result in stronger drinks... i've experienced this...

and i've had a few instances where they 'accidentally' brought me an extra drink... and a few where they have very purposefully given me a free drink, too...

i may not gamble much, but i guess i'm a bit of a high roller... AT THE BAR :eek:

last-call.jpg

How about sharing the recipe/ingredients?

You have to call.

Just off the Pride and I ordered a vodka and red bull in the piano bar. Total after tip was added, $12.00. I think I'll risk smuggling alcohol on next time.

Amen.

actually, for some reason i do not understand at all, you cannot order the liquor online...

you have to call 1.800.522.7648 M-F 9AM - 5.30PM EST to place your order. orders should be placed 1 week before sailing, though i've read of some variance in that time frame... some have been told 2 weeks, some have ordered 2 days in advance...

here's the page with that info:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Gifts_CustomerService.aspx

What he said.

How about sharing the recipe/ingredients?

hehe i just had to text my buddy to confirm, and this is what we recall:

2 oz citron

1 oz kiwi juice

1 oz orange juice

shoot it! (shot). it's just about the most amicable / tasty shot i've ever come across.

Again' date=' you use the term "outgrown". You just don't get it, do you? It has nothing to do with maturity or perceived maturity or immaturity. You are not special because you consider drinking childish, nor is the drunk special for being a heavy drinker.

And no one mentioned trying to act like they are 20 again. When I was 20, partying was the farthest thing from my mind. I was in Korea making the world safe for people like you to have the right to spout their biases and unsubstantiated "opinions" without fear of vile repercussions. Now, I am much, much older than 20 but still enjoy having a good time with friends (aka "partying") whether or not liquor is involved.

Your holier than thou protestations are like so much dust blowing in a flatulent wind ----meaningless and without a scintilla of justification despite their vituperative repetition of the same fallacious point, time after time. :) Open your mind, listen to what people are trying to tell you, and perhaps you will evolve into a better, more tolerant, and less sanctimonious human being who has "outgrown" putting other people down in order to make yourself feel superior.

Party on, Garthette.[/quote']

Amen Allen! You are spot on.....I know this is ot but have to put in my 2cents....with each post trying to state her case, the hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

Now, ON topic...I actually like the idea of getting a Classic Long Island, iceless....to split but not for more mix (as they will not put more alcohol in, it WILL be more mix) I like the idea of not watering it down with melted ice.

The great soda debate: this has had me giggling throughout. I'm Canadian and I call soft drinks "pop". After going to many different areas in the US, I have noticed "pop" referred to many different ways. BUT, I full on agree that as a bartender, when someone orders a vodka/soda, they will get an actual vodka and soda water. Pop, soda, coke....whatever is really a slang. When ordering a drink from a bartender, it's more formal (for lack of a better word). If someone is a Jack and coke drinker, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure they would never order it Jack and soda....even if in their area they refer to soda as coke. You wouldn't dare to be vague after making the mistake once. Crap, I'm OT again.

OK Back OT, I plan on ordering a bottle or two from BV, using my trusted Tervis tumbler (bringing both a 16 and 20oz with lid and straw) as well as possibly filling an empty water bottle with vodka and putting it in my beach bag. This can be mixed with ice tea or lemonade while poolside. And why not? I'm not advertising the fact, but I have however purchased the liquor from Carnival so I see no problem in this.

Again' date=' you use the term "outgrown". You just don't get it, do you? It has nothing to do with maturity or perceived maturity or immaturity. You are not special because you consider drinking childish, nor is the drunk special for being a heavy drinker.

Party on, Garthette.[/quote']

The irony of you attempting to "open my mind" is way up there :) What makes your opinion any more valid than mine? And what makes the way you live any more righteous than the way I live? I think not. Anyway, again, because we live in a democracy, should my "protestations" bother you so badly, you DO have the choice to block everything I write on this site. God bless democracy :D

PS...while I have never served in the Armed Forces, my father was a decorated veteran of 3 wars/conflicts, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. My husband is an Air Force veteran and my son is in the Navy, in nuke school to work on subs. You don't have to preach that stuff to me, I'm in the choir ;)

The irony of you attempting to "open my mind" is way up there :) What makes your opinion any more valid than mine? And what makes the way you live any more righteous than the way I live?

My opinion is more valid than yours because I am way more tolerant, open-minded, non-judgmental, older, wiser, kinder, sweeter, cuter, more intelligent, better-educated and cooler than you are. :D:D:D

And you know nothing about the way I live.:) For all you know, I am totally abstinent. Unlike you, I don't try to force my opinions on other people and belittle those who haven't "outgrown" the things you dislike or consider beneath you.

And several posters have agreed with my assessment of the situation. Can you say the same? :p

My opinion is more valid than yours because I am way more tolerant' date=' open-minded, non-judgmental, older, wiser, kinder, sweeter, cuter, more intelligent, better-educated and cooler than you are. :D:D:D

And you know nothing about the way I live.:) For all you know, I am totally abstinent. Unlike you, I don't try to force my opinions on other people and belittle those who haven't "outgrown" the things you dislike or consider beneath you.

And several posters have agreed with my assessment of the situation. Can you say the same? :p[/quote']

I 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th that:D

Speaking of "partying on"' date=' Dana Carvey was the host of Saturday Night Live this week and the show opened with Wayne and Garth in the basement doing a segment of "Wayne's World". Very funny.

And then The Church Lady appeared in a scene where she was secretly lusting after Justin Bieber, who was also on the show.

I'm sure it will be re-run at some point in the next month or so and is well worth watching for those who loved the Mike Myers and Dana Carvey years of SNL.[/quote']

That was awesome!! :D And the Jon Lovitz appearance in the beginning was classic.

Archived