Trans Atlantic US Inbound Immigration

guernseyguy

In late 2003, immigration officials board while we were approaching the port and set up lines in the Queen's room. Documents to complete had been passed out the day before.

Only problem was a handful of people who did not follow the rules and go through the line promptly. They kept paging and paging these people and would not let embarkation start until they rounded them up.

The US Immigration officer used to board in Southampton and process everyone over the course of the crossing... he had two times available each day... it was so nice.

But now thanks to our gov't inane rules since 9/11 that is not allowed... the officers board from the pilot boat in NY Harbor and everyone is expected to line up at 6 or 7 AM to go through immigration.

Guess what? Sometimes I'm one of the names they call over the loudspeaker... that time of the morning does not suit my schedule.

Michael

New York

The US Immigration officer used to board in Southampton and process everyone over the course of the crossing... he had two times available each day... it was so nice.

Oh dear, I rather feared that would be the answer....as you say it was so nice taking 5 - 10 minutes in the Midships Lobby to get it all done.....a complete contrast with the seemingly endless queues when disembarking from the Golden Princess in New York....the process took about 10 seconds....the queue well over an hour.....And now I guess non-US citizens need to be finger printed as well......

• 1 month later...

Guess what? Sometimes I'm one of the names they call over the loudspeaker... that time of the morning does not suit my schedule.

Michael

New York

So thanks to you the rest of the ship is held up, because it doesn't suit "your" schedule?

On arrival 22 April in New York the USA residents were cleared onboard. All others left the ship and were cleared in the Terminal. We self disembarked so were near the front of the queue. The organisation looked very good with over a dozen stations at work. It was a matter of getting a fingerprint scan, a photo and having the green immigration form stamped and stapled into the passport - no more than 2 to 3 minutes.

We are going on QM2 20/09/05 doing westbound transatlantic followed by spleandours of the fall, followed by eastbound transatlantic returning to Southampton on the 14th October. How will immigration work for this trip??:eek:

Elaine

We disembarked from QM2 on 22 April, and chose the "self disembark" option. This was real simple.

We did not have to pack our bags the night before, and had plenty of time to pack and have a leisurely breakfast in the morning after watching the ship dock.

Then down to the Queens Room with our bags on an elevator and a comfortbale sit for 10 minutes and then off into a very short queue -- about 5-7 minutes -- to be compeletely through customs and about a 50-75 metre walk to the taxis.

We are non-US citizens (New Zealand). Contrast this to the zoo at JFK or LAX through the customs there. Chalk and cheese.

No other way of doing it. Don't be snob and let someone else sort you bags -- then you might have a real wait and a zoo. Self help gets off first. Our longest wait was for a cab at the side of the road.

Haupapa

Elaine 61: are you on the Oct 8th sailing of the OM2 out of NYC? We are also on that crossing and I am trying to start a CC group for this voyage.

I posted over on the Roll Call section under "Other Cruise Lines CC Party".

Come over and join in the thread...

Cheers, Grace

Hi Haupapa

We are getting on board QM2 in Southampton and not disembarking (not with luggage anyway), until we return to Southampton. Let's hope that our short stay in New York is not taken up with paperwork. I want to sight see on one of the visits to New York and shop on the other!! All I have to do now is decide which way round I do it!!!!!

Elaine

Hi Grace

I saw your other message and have replied to that too. I shall take a look at the roll call, but to be honest I am not familiar with this site. Usually only cruise with P & O out of Southampton, but as a treat to ourselves for making it to our 25th wedding anniversary we are doing the spleandours of the falls with crossing there and back to New York as I don't like flying. We will be on board with our two children as it is the only way we are going to see the US and Canada together. Our daughter will be 22 whilst on board (which makes a change as its usually our son who celebrates his birthdays on board ships as his birthday is in August). He will be 19 when we sail. 24 nights on board, all that eating and drinking, I am going to have to find elasticated clothing!!!!:eek:

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...

IF YOU ARE FROM U.K.-SHOP 'TIL YOU DROP IN NEW YORK AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE PRICES WHICH ARE SO FAVORABLE FOR YOU.PAPERWORK IN MORNING IS MINIMAL.TAKE ELEVATOR TO GROUND LEVEL AT TERMINAL,CROSS STREET AND HAIL A CAB GOING UPTOWN.TAKES LESS THAN A MINUTE AND NO LONG LINES.

Hi Haupapa

We are getting on board QM2 in Southampton and not disembarking (not with luggage anyway), until we return to Southampton. Let's hope that our short stay in New York is not taken up with paperwork. I want to sight see on one of the visits to New York and shop on the other!! All I have to do now is decide which way round I do it!!!!!

Elaine

Hi Westsider

Don't worry with a 21 year old and an 19 year old I'm sure they'll make sure we'll shop till we drop!! He loves Sean John clothes which we cannot get over here in the UK, so he'll be a man on a mission. Like you say the £ to $ is in our favour at the moment. Daughter went to New York for her 21st last October, so her and hubby know what sightseeing we are going to do. We are fortunate enough to be seeing NY twice, hence doing one shopping trip and one sightseeing trip. Don't know which way round to do it though!! Good to hear that the paperwork is minimal. All we need are our visa waiver forms!! Presume they have these on board the ship?? Nearly time to pay balance so beginning to get excited. Have the lovely English summer to see us through (well today it is wet, windy and grey)!!!!!! Some English summer!!!!

Many thanks, any tips on where to get his Sean John clothes from would be gratefully appreciated. I was planning on going to Bloomingdales and Macys' anyway. Any other decent department stores??

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Elaine,

I went to New York City for a three day trip this past August and it was great fun! To get Sean Jean clothing I would recommend you try Macy's or Bloomingdale's as you mentioned. You could also try going to Macys.com and try doing a search for Sean Jean clothing. The cab drivers have the city down well, and they drive fast and I honestly do not know how they do it through that city! There are also websites that will probably have information about where to find specific items as well. As for your dilemma between whether to shop or sightsee first...I don't know what to tell you! If I had to pick one I think I would sightsee first. Anyway I hope you have a great time in New York, the city is so fun and lively (as expected). Have fun on your crossings as well!

Archived