How to go to Schwerin from Warnemunde?

squaremimi

We are planning to go to a Baltic cruise on Jun this year and one of the port is Berlin (Warnemunde), since we decided not to go to Berlin and our cruise ship stops in Warnemunde and we want to catch a train to Schwerin. Does anyone know what train to take and costs? Once in Schwerin, what transportation need to reach the castle and take lake cruise? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

We are planning to go to a Baltic cruise on Jun this year and one of the port is Berlin (Warnemunde), since we decided not to go to Berlin and our cruise ship stops in Warnemunde and we want to catch a train to Schwerin. Does anyone know what train to take and costs? Once in Schwerin, what transportation need to reach the castle and take lake cruise? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi,

The ship berths in Warnemünde literally alongside the railway line and from the gate to the station platform is a 5 minute walk. Trains depart every 15 mins and arrive Rostock Central station 20 mins later.

Trains depart Rostock every two hours from 9.07am and depart Schwerin every two hours up to 7.53pm. The trip takes just under 1 hour. The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid for these trains. (€20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5, travel all day)

Schwerin is a very compact town and ideally suited to walking. There is a tram system but it does not really go through the tourist part of the city, it goes round the edges and serves the suburbs. To take a tram would be to miss a great deal of the older city and you would still have a walk to the castle. The walk from the train station to the castle (about 15mins direct) takes you past one of the many lakes and through the pedestrian only area with the Dom, the Market Place etc - as well as old streets with beautiful buildings, interesting shops and pavement cafes. From the castle itself it is a 10 min walk to the modern shopping centre and trams to the station.

Changing trains in Rostock is quite simple. The s-bahn from Warnemünde arrives on tracks 1/2. Take the stairs 1 flight down to the main concourse. The electronic departure boards are on the walls on each side. The train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin. The departure time and track will be indicated, normally track 6. Take the elevator marked 3-6 up to the platform (level 0) If a different track is indicated (never happened as far as I can remember) take the appropriately numbered elevator. The platforms are clearly numbered and there are electronic indicator boards showing the departure time, destination and intermediate stops of the next train on each.

If you intend to use a Mecklenburg Lander ticket and take the 9.07am to Schwerin you will require a single journey Rostock local transport ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock (€1.70) as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9am.

Once in Schwerin go out the main station entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront (about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

The lake cruises depart from berths just to the left of the castle.

The following web site is worth browsing:-

www.schwerin.com/english

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi, Anni,

Thank you very much for your such detailed information, it made our planning much easier. But I also want to know about the returining trip to Warnemunde, is the train leaving for every 2 hours also? Then we can plan how long we should stay in Schwerin since we want to get back a bit early and don't want to miss the ship. Thanks again for you info, it's really appreciated! ^_^

Hi, Anni,

May I know that the Euro$1.70 from Warnemunde to Rostock is a one-way ticket or roundtrip? And should I purchase the Lander ticket at the Warnemunde train station or at the Rostock station? Also, do you think we will have enough time to go around Rostock as well after Schwerin? Thanks again!

Hi, Anni,

May I know that the Euro$1.70 from Warnemunde to Rostock is a one-way ticket or roundtrip? And should I purchase the Lander ticket at the Warnemunde train station or at the Rostock station? Also, do you think we will have enough time to go around Rostock as well after Schwerin? Thanks again!

Hi, The €1.70 ticket is one-way but the Lander ticket covers any journey made on a train within Mecklenburg after 9am including the return to Warnemünde.

Lander tickets can be bought at either station using the DB machine but I would recommend allowing enough time to buy it in Rostock as the machines in Warnemünde are very busy on cruise days. There are machines on each platform as well as in the main hall. They all have touch screens available in English.

Time in Rostock would depend on the train from Schwerin. You must allow at least 15mins each way between Rostock central station and the city. After a day in the city of Schwerin I would personally choose an evening stroll around Warnemünde, it is a little gem and very different.

Anni

You can prepurchase the Länderticket online as well. Also, if you happen to be there in the weekend, the 9 am-rule does not apply, you can use the M-V-ticket before 9 am on Saturday, Sunday and national holidays.

My parents made this train trip last year when they were in Warnemünde. They are not German and do not speak German, and they found it very easy. My father prepurchased the ticket online. For two the ticket is 23 euros, but if you are with 5 people (share with people from the roll call?) the day ticket is only 32 euros, which is a steal.

There apparently is a HoHo-bus in Schwerin, but my parents did not use it. The link for the red doubledecker is here. The castle in Schwerin is beautiful, I went there many years ago.

Thanks very much to Anni and UK Bayern for the detailed information. Because of it, I'm thinking we will try this on our own. Just for clarification are our stops Rostock HBF and Schwerin HBF as there are multiple stops listed for both cities. Additionally, I have been reading about a Folk Museum located on the south side of the lake, would you happen to know if this is accessible by the boat tours on the lake or only by car or taxi? Thank you so much for any help you might provide.

Thanks very much to Anni and UK Bayern for the detailed information. Because of it, I'm thinking we will try this on our own. Just for clarification are our stops Rostock HBF and Schwerin HBF as there are multiple stops listed for both cities. Additionally, I have been reading about a Folk Museum located on the south side of the lake, would you happen to know if this is accessible by the boat tours on the lake or only by car or taxi? Thank you so much for any help you might provide.

Hi,

The stations to use in both Rostock and Schwerin are HBF, the main station. The others are suburban stations.

The Folk Museum is a little way out of town but can be reached by taking a No 1 tram from the city to Stauffenburg Strasse and then a No 6 bus to the Freilichtmuseum. I am not sure about the boat, I seem to think that there is a HOHO but I could be wrong. There are quite possibly other ways to reach this museum during the tourist season. Sorry I can't be of more help on this one but I have only been there by car. Why not e-mail the tourism office at info@schwerin.info with this query. They speak English and are very helpful.

Hope this helps

Anni

Hi Anni, I would love to hear your thoughts, we are on the Eurodam in July, when in Warnemunde I would love to do the Molli Bahn and the china plate wants to go to Schwerin, which I would like too as well. Is it possble to do both in the one day? We would be using the local trains.

Hi Anni, I would love to hear your thoughts, we are on the Eurodam in July, when in Warnemunde I would love to do the Molli Bahn and the china plate wants to go to Schwerin, which I would like too as well. Is it possble to do both in the one day? We would be using the local trains.

Hi Fellow Aussies!

It would be possible for you both to have your wish as HAL ships arrive early and leave late, (6am to 11pm on the Port Schedule) just as long as you only want to ride the Molli straight to the end of the line and back.

Using the itnerary below all travel, except on the Molli which is a privately owned railway, is covered by the Mecklenburg Lander ticket (€20 for the first person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5 travelling together, all day)

Depart Warnemünde (s-bahn) 9.22am - Arrive Rostock 9.43am

Depart Rostock 10.06am (RE direction Wismar) - Arrive Bad Doberan 9.25am

Depart Bad Doberan 10.35am (Molli Bahn) - Return Bad Doberan 12.15pm

Depart Bad Doberan 12.30pm (RE to Wismar) -Arrive Wismar 13.15pm

Depart Wismar 13.33pm (RE direction Ludwigsfelde) - Arrive Schwerin Hbf. 14.03pm

Depart Schwerin Hbf 19.53pm (RE to Rostock) - Arrive Rostock Hbf. 20.51

Trains every 15 mins to Warnemünde.

This itinerary assumes that the ship departs on schedule and you have to be on board 1 hour before departure.

If you decide this is too crowded a schedule may I suggest a visit to Wismar in the morning; a ride on the Molli with a break in Bad Doberan, Kühlungsborn or Heiligendam in the afternoon; and a stroll around Warnemünde in the late evening.

I can give you details of trains etc. for this alternative if you want them.

Hope this helps with your planning

Happy Cruising :)

Anni

Thank you Anni,

You have confirmed my thoughts, that it would be a long day if we tried to do both the Molli Bahn and Schwerin. We are cruising to enjoy ourselves, not exhaust ourselves.

We will do the Molli and hopefully have lunch on the coast there, do you know of any places that we may try, we do like trying local dishes if possible. Will the area be crowded or not in July.

I had seen a short doco about the Molli Bahn on SBS some years ago and liked what I had seen, now we can see it in the flesh.

Thanks again Anni

Thank you Anni,

You have confirmed my thoughts, that it would be a long day if we tried to do both the Molli Bahn and Schwerin. We are cruising to enjoy ourselves, not exhaust ourselves.

We will do the Molli and hopefully have lunch on the coast there, do you know of any places that we may try, we do like trying local dishes if possible. Will the area be crowded or not in July.

I had seen a short doco about the Molli Bahn on SBS some years ago and liked what I had seen, now we can see it in the flesh.

Thanks again Anni

Hi, I have not actually eaten in either Kuhlungsborn or Heiligendam myself but my spies tell me that there are eateries to suit every 'taste' and pocket along the main pedestrian street of the former. However if you want to eat anywhere in the latter you had better have very deep pockets! There are also some nice little restaurants and cafes on the main street in Bad Doberan and the experience of sipping a drink in a pavement cafe as 'Molli' steams past literally within touching ditance is not to be missed.

The school holidays here start in mid-July but although there will be a lot of people around it never seems to get overcrowded.

Archived