From Newark Airport to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

janacin

Has anyone recently transferred from EWR to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal? We will be arriving in Newark at 6AM and will need to get to the cruise terminal to board on the June 22 NY to NY New England/Canada cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Can you take a cab? Since it's an out of state ride, can any cab do it? Cost? Princess does offer transfers but I'm afraid that we might have to wait until they have enough people to fill a bus.

I took the same cruise in Sept, and also arrived at 6am at EWR. We ate breakfast at the airport, then called a car service (you can find names of these inside the airport or on other boards/roll calls). I believe it cost $60 for the two of us plus tip, and they arrive in less than 5 minutes. You can schedule one ahead of time too, but we choose to wait since we had so much time. The drive to the ship took only 15 minutes, but the driver told us it could take up to 2 hrs when there is traffic. Princess information said it was 1 1/2 hour drive. It was Saturday morning around 9am, and no traffic. We arrived too early since the drive was much shorter than we expected, but the view was phenomenal with the Statue of Liberty and New York skyline to view while waiting to board. We were in our cabin by 11:30am.

I agree with the previous poster...the ride will be very quick at that hour. Im not so sure about 15 minutes but I would say about half hour tops. If you want, I would also arrange for a car service to pick you up before you depart and then you can call them when you arrive to let them know you are there. You will have to pay for the ride plus tolls.

Alternatively, there will be cabs at the airport and, like NYC, I am assuming you will need to arrange the fare in advance since you are traveling such a distance (to a different state).

I have lived in NYC my whole life and never really understood the idea of taking car service form an airport bc the fares are pretty much the same with a car service especially with no traffic. I would go with the cab and arrange the fare in advance. If its very high, be prepared with a car service number and just call them instead!

The following taxi fare site indicates a taxi would be around $60 plus tip if using the through Manhatten route if I enter Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, ie Red Hook to EWR. If I plug in EWR to Red Hook it uses the six miles longer Verrazano Narrows route and the fare comes out at $71 plus tip. With either route there is a Newark surcharge of $15 since these rates are for NYC taxis and I don't know if this surcharge will be the same for a Newark taxi. When we sailed out of NYC we flew into LGA so that surcharge was not applicable.

Note the time you enter makes a difference since the estimate will have more traffic wait time during rush hours periods.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/new-york?to=Brooklyn+Cruise+Terminal&from=EWR&time=06-22&phone_booking=

A NJ taxi DOES NOT have to take you to Red Hook. You will have to NEGOTIATE with the driver. And he can charge pretty much whatever he wants. The driver also may totally refuse the fare, as they make more money driving from EWR to the Bayonne cruise port (or any other local spot) than they do driving into NYC/Brooklyn. $40-60 to Jersey City hotels, $50-60 to Secaucus hotels without the hassle of driving into NYC and loosing a return fare.

Also, depending on the route, the tolls could get pretty expensive (in through the Lincoln or Holland, through the Battery and out via the Verranzano). You will ALWAYS pay return tolls no matter what route, as the taxi must return to NJ.

IMHO, car service is far better. Price known in advance, including tolls and wait time in traffic. Get tied up in a traffic jam and that meter can rack up a lot of dollars.

The following taxi fare site indicates a taxi would be around $60 plus tip if using the through Manhatten route if I enter Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, ie Red Hook to EWR. If I plug in EWR to Red Hook it uses the six miles longer Verrazano Narrows route and the fare comes out at $71 plus tip. With either route there is a Newark surcharge of $15 since these rates are for NYC taxis and I don't know if this surcharge will be the same for a Newark taxi. When we sailed out of NYC we flew into LGA so that surcharge was not applicable.

Note the time you enter makes a difference since the estimate will have more traffic wait time during rush hours periods.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/new-york?to=Brooklyn+Cruise+Terminal&from=EWR&time=06-22&phone_booking=

The surcharge is for a taxi from EWR to MANHATTAN. Red Hook/Brooklyn/Queens/the Bronx-totally different rules. And a NJ cab DOES NOT have to take you to any of the outer boroughs.

That early you could take the EWR AirTrain to New Jersey Transit Train to Penn Station (NYC) and then a cab to Brooklyn. Don't know how many bags your are taking or if you would want to do this.

Jersey Taxis to not have to take you to NY, period. Sounds like a NJ limo service (NY'rs call Black Car) would be best.

Has anyone recently transferred from EWR to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal? We will be arriving in Newark at 6AM and will need to get to the cruise terminal to board on the June 22 NY to NY New England/Canada cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Can you take a cab? Since it's an out of state ride, can any cab do it? Cost? Princess does offer transfers but I'm afraid that we might have to wait until they have enough people to fill a bus.

Just checked with Princess. The transfer to the Brooklyn cruise terminal is just $29 per person and they pick up at Newark Airport around noon. That will give us enough time to get our luggage and have breakfast at the airport.

Archived