When do you pay for ship excursions?

gargoyle999

Just booked my first NCL cruise. Long ways off but I'm curious how NCL charges for shore excursions.

Carnival charges as you book them. I prefer Princess which doesn't charge until you are on the ship which makes it real nice if you want to change your mind.

I often book independent excursions but I have OBC and may need to book something with the ship to use it up since it's not refundable.

Just booked my first NCL cruise. Long ways off but I'm curious how NCL charges for shore excursions.

Carnival charges as you book them. I prefer Princess which doesn't charge until you are on the ship which makes it real nice if you want to change your mind.

I often book independent excursions but I have OBC and may need to book something with the ship to use it up since it's not refundable.

Pre-book on line and the tickets will be at your cabin when you board. Once ticketed, I believe if I remember correctly that you must cancel at least 48 hours before the excursion if you change your mind/plans or you will still be charged.

"I have OBC and may need to book something with the ship to use it up since it's not refundable."

You can also use this credit to pay tips.

I asked my TA and apparently it cannot be used for the tips. Not sure why it has that restriction since the OBC is coming from the TA. But it is part of some group booking even though we just have the 1 cabin so maybe it has something to do with that.

Since we don't drink a lot and I don't gamble I think I'm going to have to book an excursion. Otherwise it may be hard to use up $575 OBC even if we go to the specialty restaurants!

I asked my TA and apparently it cannot be used for the tips. Not sure why it has that restriction since the OBC is coming from the TA. But it is part of some group booking even though we just have the 1 cabin so maybe it has something to do with that.

Since we don't drink a lot and I don't gamble I think I'm going to have to book an excursion. Otherwise it may be hard to use up $575 OBC even if we go to the specialty restaurants!

We just sailed on the Spirit and had $250 OBC. Our DSC was paid for by the OBC. So, yes it can be used for anything you charge on board the ship.

Gene

Not true. Don't believe your TA. Once upon a time, it was true - at least in terms of official policy. The problem was that NCL's onboard accounting system was incapable of distinguishing different types of debits. That is, all expenses looked alike - spa treatments, bar tabs, the DSC - all treated the same way. So, if you have a credit (OBC), all of your shipboard expenses could go against the OBC until the OBC ran out. At some point (maybe 2 years ago), NCL just made official what was already done in practice - OBC can be used to pay the DSC.

Archived