Rentals at Payne's Beach to see the turtles

JMonty42

So my group and I will be in Barbados in early March on the Carnival Victory and we've decided that we just want to go to Payne's Bay ourselves and swim out to meet the turtles. However, there are one or two people that aren't very strong swimmers at all. So I'm wondering, does anybody know if there are kayaks or anything else that can be rented at the beach to go out and see the turtles with?

Thanks for any information!

So my group and I will be in Barbados in early March on the Carnival Victory and we've decided that we just want to go to Payne's Bay ourselves and swim out to meet the turtles. However, there are one or two people that aren't very strong swimmers at all. So I'm wondering, does anybody know if there are kayaks or anything else that can be rented at the beach to go out and see the turtles with?

Thanks for any information!

Cant speak from personal experiance but I have read other posts on here saying that they were able to rent Boats and snorkel equipment at Paynes Bay.

That is what our family is planning to do as well :)

Cant speak from personal experiance but I have read other posts on here saying that they were able to rent Boats and snorkel equipment at Paynes Bay.

That is what our family is planning to do as well :)

You leave at the end of this month? Let me know here how that works out.

We will be in Barbados next month and I searched around for the same type thing.. what I have found is that there is a kayak tour (barbados kayak jack) but not actual rental kayaks.. we went ahead and booked with kayakjack since we are beginners at kayaking and need some guidance anyway also the price isnt bad.

When we went to Paynes Bay several years ago, there were locals who approached us on the beach and asked if we wanted to go swim with the turtles. They had a boat and said it would cost $20 to swim with turtles and see the shipwreck area which had more fish. We wanted only the turtles and they were able to take the three of us for $10 each for just that one area.

It wasn't too far out from the shore but nice to be taken out on the boat and I believe we had their life jackets on in the water. They put some fish in the water to attract the turtles to where we were.

Sorry I don't remember the taxi ride to get there but don't think it was too expensive. We got out near what was the Blue Monkey Bar. Not sure if that is still there.

Hopefully they will still be doing this. We plan on going back there in April. It was very cool to swim with the turtles there.

• 3 weeks later...
You leave at the end of this month? Let me know here how that works out.

We took a cab to paynes bay last week for $26 each way. Would have taken the public bus which is $1 per person but had another stop to make which wasnt on the bus route.

Various water sports rentals are available including snorkel equipment($12) , jet skis (we paid $40 for half hour on a three seater) and individual kayaks which I did not get a price on. There are also a couple small boats at the shore you can charter out to see the turtles including a glass bottom boat. Beach guys wanted $5 per chair but when I said I only wanted to pay for one he said to go ahead and use both(with umbrella).

My daughter and I simply swam out about 80 yards to the area the charters were feeding the turtles and saw three large turtles before we even got to the tour groups. If you go slow the turtles just sort of cruise around, if you swim after them quickly they go to the bottom and sit. Just wait a few minutes if they do this and they will soon come up for air.

I saw one surface for air several times only 15 feet off shore while waiting for my girls who were out on the jet ski.

Have fun :)

Just FYI...there are also turtles in carlisle bay , almost infront of Harbour Lights,very calm water and easy to swim to or take a glass bottom/snorkel boat .Cab fare to H lights is $4 per person . Also been to paynes bay in the past which is also nice, but carlisle bay is cheaper to get to, and to me prettier and has better facilities .

Archived