Belize Zoo

bagelmom6

For those of you who have been there, what did you think of the Belize Zoo? Is it worth seeing? I'm travelling with my husband and four year old daughter and trying to pick the shore excursion that would be most interesting for her. She loves animals so I'm kind of leaning toward the zoo but would love to get some other opinions.

We went with our kids, ages 8 - 15 and they enjoyed it. It is a very different kind of zoo than you would find in the US, not bad, just different (very rustic, you walk along a gravel trail). It was much smaller than zoos in the US. It was started by a lady that rescued animals and then became a zoo. It is a good distance away (at least 45 minutes from what I remember) and we did this visit in combination with a cave tubing tour. It was on the way back from cave tubing.

We went with our kids, ages 8 - 15 and they enjoyed it. It is a very different kind of zoo than you would find in the US, not bad, just different (very rustic, you walk along a gravel trail). It was much smaller than zoos in the US. It was started by a lady that rescued animals and then became a zoo. It is a good distance away (at least 45 minutes from what I remember) and we did this visit in combination with a cave tubing tour. It was on the way back from cave tubing.

We are looking at the same thing without the cave tubing. Do you know of any tour that do just the zoo? Our granddaughter and her hubby will be doing the cave tubing and have asked our daughter to take the 4 year (almost) to the zoo. I know they would feel more comfortable if there was a group going.

Nita

I have never heard of a "tour" going there. You would probably have to search these boards to find a driver for the day. I would suggest having it arranged before leaving though because there isn't a smooth way to get a taxi like there is in other ports. The only other option, which may cost about the same, would be to see if the ship has a tour that included a stop at the zoo. I have never seen just a tour for the zoo (The zoo really isn't big enough for it to be done as a tour alone).

I have never heard of a "tour" going there. You would probably have to search these boards to find a driver for the day. I would suggest having it arranged before leaving though because there isn't a smooth way to get a taxi like there is in other ports. The only other option, which may cost about the same, would be to see if the ship has a tour that included a stop at the zoo. I have never seen just a tour for the zoo (The zoo really isn't big enough for it to be done as a tour alone).

thanks we will see what can be worked out.

Nita

Nita,

What cruise line are you going with? We're going on the Carnival Valor and they have an excursion that does the Belize Zoo and city tour. That might be an option for you.

If we ever were to take a ship tour again, it would be in Belize. We never do in other ports but in Belize, I would actually recommend it for some places. For some places or tours, the price can actually work out better than hiring a driver. The zoo and city tour would be an example of one I would rather take with the ship.

Nita,

What cruise line are you going with? We're going on the Carnival Valor and they have an excursion that does the Belize Zoo and city tour. That might be an option for you.

thanks, I just thought about that but need to look and see. We are going on the Spirit.

thanks again,

Nita

• 3 weeks later...

Archived