How do find out which dive operator is contracted with your cruise?

skyview851

How do find out which dive operator is contracted with your cruise? If I can book the dive with "ABC" dives thru the ship for close to the same price that "ABC" offers to anyone, why would I not want to book thru the cruiseline? Do I get better sites if I book on my own? Fewer passengers on the boat? I've cruised before, & been on dive vacations, but have never combined the two, so educate me please!

How do find out which dive operator is contracted with your cruise? If I can book the dive with "ABC" dives thru the ship for close to the same price that "ABC" offers to anyone, why would I not want to book thru the cruiseline?
The deal is that you usually can't book your dives with the same outfit that the ship uses because the dive shop won't let you. They have an exclusive agreement with the cruise line.

Do I get better sites if I book on my own? Fewer passengers on the boat? I've cruised before, & been on dive vacations, but have never combined the two, so educate me please!
You do if you make your own arrangements with a smaller operator, especially in Cozumel where there are many good choices.

Skyview,

As Bruce says, you cannot book your own dives with the operator contracted by the cruise ship. I always try to book dives on my own, rather than use the cruise ship operator. They have to cater to the less experience diver, and since we are advanced divers, we are not always pleased with their choices. Chances are you will do better on your own, both with reference to the price and the quality of dive, but of course, it doesn't always work out that way. I always ask if they will pick us up at the cruise ship and bring us back, and make sure I have plenty of time to dive on my own. If the ship is in port half a day, you should dive through the ship, but if it's a full day stop, you should be able to arrange your own diving and have several hours to shop or tour. I've done plenty of diving off cruise ships, so if I've been to where you are going, I would be glad to share my experiences. You can e-mail me at Countessp@aol.com.

I agree with CountessP. Book your own. From my experience with both those booked through the ship and those I did myself I saved money and and enjoyed the ones I found on my own. Most operators are very happy to pick you up and you'll usually have a smaller group.

Archived