Document question

AZshasha

I know you need birth certificates to board the ship in Florida but do you need them every time you get off and on the ship. I am bringing my grandkids along with me and remember someone saying you had to have documents every time you go off and on. I have sailed on Carnival, Princess and NCL and they all just used the cruise card once you got on board. I'm wondering if I should get there birth certificates laminated before I go

Thanks

I would not laminate the birth certificates as then there is no way to prove it is a legal certificate since you would not be able to feel the raised seal. When you get off the ship you will always need your Costa Card and picture ID (such as passport or drivers license) In the case of children I guess I would take birth certifcates for them when you get off the ship and their Costa Card. Get some kind of small document holder to keep all of it together. Have a great cruise!

AZ:

DON'T laminate your certificates. With modern technology it is getting easier and easier to reproduce items like older birth certificates. The authorities are looking for original seals, embossings and watermarks. Laminating may destroy such items.

We only had birth certificates for our teens as well, as they did not have a passport yet. You definately have to take the certificates every time you go on shore, with their Costa card. Otherwise you may have big trouble of getting on the ship again. Purchase some document protectors or a slim folder where you can store them safely. That's what we did.

Andy

Ok, I didn't send my passport off in time for renewal so was going to use my passport and State ID --- but the travel agent (and now this board) keep talking about a raised seal on the birth certificate. I have a certificate copy of my birth certificate which I got from the State of Michigan last year --- it has a seal --- but not a raised one.

I sent out last week for another copy, emphasizing that I need a raised seal. I was told that won't happen --- that everything is computerized now --- they use watermarked paper, paper that's heat sensitive, etc., etc.

Am I going to have problems on this Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Mediterranea starting 3/13/05? Because if so, it's too late to get my passport renewed without making a trip to LA and I don't have time for that. I have my expired passport as a backup, but there's no raised seal on my birth certificate!

Help!

You'll be fine with a birth cert and a drivers license. If you are married and your last name is different than your maiden name it will spare you some irritation if you bring your marriage license also.

Don't worry , be happy

Fedora:

You'll be fine! Just bring your expired passport (that is also an additonal proof of citizenship), your birth certificate (with the official seal of the State of Michigan), a federal or state issued picture I.D. (driver's license, I.D. card, etc.) and - as Chaparral said - your marriage certificate (or certified copy of it) if your name has changed from the names shown on the documents mentioned.

Happy Cruising!

Andy

I have cruised with my children before and never had to bring their birth certificates to ports of call - just had to use the ship card. We just needed the birth certificates to board the ship and sometimes even when we disembarked.

I have also never needed my marriage license to show the name change from my birth certificate; although I usually bring it with me just in case!

I have only cruised in the Caribbean - would this make a difference for Med or other cruise destinations?

Appreciate your reinforcement to what I had already decided. Dug out the birth certificate last night (finally) and, as the Clerk in Michigan said, it has a watermark and is on a special heat treated paper with seals that disappear from the heat of your hand. It's still in the original envelope as I received it a year ago, with the receipt attached --- I figure if that and my expired passport (which I will renew when I get back as it appears they may be useful within the country as well) and State ID are not enough, I'll just stay in Florida and enjoy the beach!!

Thanks for the help. I am SO looking forward to this cruise. There is will be well-known dog trainers and judges giving seminars while we are at sea --- about 250 in our group representing all breeds of dogs --- some coming in from the UK and Australia to join us --- I've been working fulltime in a law firm plus full time at my own business (which I hope soon will get me out of the office rat race and commute) for about 2 years now, so I really look forward to my annual cruise!! I may just skip the classes and spend my mornings on deck watching the water and snoozing!!!

Fedora:D

Are you aware that you need a notarized paper from their parents authorizing you to take them with you? We brought our niece on our last cruise, and had one for her. I thought it was bogus, as we were never asked for it, but as we re-entered immigration they suddenly wanted it (of course by then I had practically tossed it, and couldn't find it in my bags) You don't want to risk not having that paper with you, especially if you are going to Mexico, where even one parent can't travel without the other's permission.

Archived