Re: a family cruise...Spirit Class vs. Conquest Class? And Valor or Liberty?

momof4girls

When looking at a family cruise, I see that both itineraries that fit "our needs" are on Conquest class ships (Valor and Liberty). When I look at the size (feet) of the ships and the number of allowed passengers, I'm a little worried about feeling "crowded" on the ship. Do the Spirit class ships feel that much less crowded? I'm kind of bummed because the Spirit class was my first choice, but based on the itineraries, we are left with the Conquest class.

One more question...if you could choose between Valor and Liberty, which would you choose? And why?

Spirit Class is fantastic! Definitely feels very open and uncrowded. Highly recommended though we chose against the Valor (vs. Glory) because the patriotic theme wasn't for us. We like to get away on vacation, not feel like we're at the White House. Flame suit on

Conquest class actually will feel less crowded than your recent Fascination cruise. The space to guest ratio is actually better on Conquest class than Fantasy class. Spirit class is, of course, better than Conquest. Conquest is pretty much right in between the other 2. Fantasy-34:1, Conquest-37:1, Spirit-41:1, at normal capacity (2 per room). Conquest has some advantages on Spirit class. The waterslide looks bigger, plus it's in the area of the main pools, where all the action is, instead of at the back of the ship. Conquest also has the big screen at the main pool area, which some people hate and some people love. I truly felt the most crowded ships I've been on have been the smaller ones. In other words, a Conquest ship will likely feel less crowded than Fascination, but still more crowded than a Spirit class ship.

Between Liberty and Valor, I would choose Liberty. It seems to get the best reviews, although Valor tends to get mostly good reviews too. I loved the Valor, but the pics of the Liberty looks even nicer. Plus, Liberty is the only ship left with the famous floor-to-ceiling window OV rooms.

I've sailed both and both were nice. And no, I don't feel crowded (sailed Glory, Valor and Liberty on Conquest class). It's actually a tad mind boggling because there are quite a few times it's like high school in that you bump into people you recognize even in port. There are normally several times throughout the week that I find myself marveling that there actually ARE that many people onboard with me because it honestly doesn't seem that way to me.

The only actual LINES (and I DETEST lines) I've encountered are if you wait until the last minute to get back on the ship/tender, or if you wait until PRIME meal time to eat in the Lido. Everything else is absolutely fine.

I just booked the Valor in a scenic oceanview on deck 9 and was told it had floor to ceiling windows...hope they were telling me the truth!

It looks like they were telling the truth. I hadn't noticed that before, but yes, the Valor only has those kind of rooms on Deck 9.:eek: I am guessing that these are pretty new, that they were probably recently converted. There used to be 3 rooms up there that were obstructed view rooms, sold as interiors (4J) because of the obstruction. That's still how it is on the other 4 Conquest class ships. It looks like Valor converted them into floor-to-ceiling window rooms, category 6J. Nice! It isn't shown like that on cruisedeckplans and other sites (outdated), but Carnival is indeed showing it on their booking engine. Congratulations! Let us know how you like it. Take pictures!

Conquest class actually will feel less crowded than your recent Fascination cruise. The space to guest ratio is actually better on Conquest class than Fantasy class. Spirit class is, of course, better than Conquest. Conquest is pretty much right in between the other 2. Fantasy-34:1, Conquest-37:1, Spirit-41:1, at normal capacity (2 per room). Conquest has some advantages on Spirit class. The waterslide looks bigger, plus it's in the area of the main pools, where all the action is, instead of at the back of the ship. Conquest also has the big screen at the main pool area, which some people hate and some people love. I truly felt the most crowded ships I've been on have been the smaller ones. In other words, a Conquest ship will likely feel less crowded than Fascination, but still more crowded than a Spirit class ship.

Between Liberty and Valor, I would choose Liberty. It seems to get the best reviews, although Valor tends to get mostly good reviews too. I loved the Valor, but the pics of the Liberty looks even nicer. Plus, Liberty is the only ship left with the famous floor-to-ceiling window OV rooms.

Thank you for sharing this! Since the Fascination didn't feel that crowded to me (only when trying to leave the ship and final morning in the Lido), I'm thinking that the Conquest class will be ok.

I've sailed both and both were nice. And no, I don't feel crowded (sailed Glory, Valor and Liberty on Conquest class). It's actually a tad mind boggling because there are quite a few times it's like high school in that you bump into people you recognize even in port. There are normally several times throughout the week that I find myself marveling that there actually ARE that many people onboard with me because it honestly doesn't seem that way to me.

The only actual LINES (and I DETEST lines) I've encountered are if you wait until the last minute to get back on the ship/tender, or if you wait until PRIME meal time to eat in the Lido. Everything else is absolutely fine.

Very helpful! Thank you :) Since you have sailed three different ships in the Conquest class, could you tell me which one was your favorite?

Thank you for sharing this! Since the Fascination didn't feel that crowded to me (only when trying to leave the ship and final morning in the Lido), I'm thinking that the Conquest class will be ok.

Very helpful! Thank you :) Since you have sailed three different ships in the Conquest class, could you tell me which one was your favorite?

I liked them all for different reasons, lol. Valor was brand new and our first cruise, the decor was nice (except the MDR, lol Barbie Pink). Glory was our first family cruise, so it was special for that reason (but the decor was kind of iffy). Liberty was our most recent cruise, and the decor was pretty subtle. Valor and Liberty were tied (my other cruise was the Triumph which comes in fourth, lol).

I liked them all for different reasons, lol. Valor was brand new and our first cruise, the decor was nice (except the MDR, lol Barbie Pink). Glory was our first family cruise, so it was special for that reason (but the decor was kind of iffy). Liberty was our most recent cruise, and the decor was pretty subtle. Valor and Liberty were tied (my other cruise was the Triumph which comes in fourth, lol).

Thank you! :) And one more question...I see that you have done both Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises. Which did you think was "better"? I understand that everyone has different expectations, likes, dislikes, etc. so just asking which YOU preferred?

Thank you! :) And one more question...I see that you have done both Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises. Which did you think was "better"? I understand that everyone has different expectations, likes, dislikes, etc. so just asking which YOU preferred?

Well, you can break it down by activity...Eastern is more shopping and beaches, Western has more adventurous excursion possibilities (zip lining, cave tubing, some ancient ruins, etc). You can break it down by culture...Eastern is more European, Western is more Mexican/Latin American.

I can tell you my favorite ports and my least favorite ports. Favorites are Cozumel, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Half Moon Cay, Roatan, Grand Turk. Least favorites are Belize, Jamaica. Neutral ones are Nassau, Grand Cayman.

Does that help?

I might also suggest you pop over to the Ports of Call boards and see what each port has to offer, depending on what your group is into. LOTS of good information over there. I'd also suggest that IF you have a decent amount of port time, that you take the suggestions over on the Ports boards of some private excursions. I'm normally not a big fan of ship's excursions. I'd also love to tell you about what we've done in specific ports if you want, after you've chosen your itinerary or whatever.

Well, you can break it down by activity...Eastern is more shopping and beaches, Western has more adventurous excursion possibilities (zip lining, cave tubing, some ancient ruins, etc). You can break it down by culture...Eastern is more European, Western is more Mexican/Latin American.

I can tell you my favorite ports and my least favorite ports. Favorites are Cozumel, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Half Moon Cay, Roatan, Grand Turk. Least favorites are Belize, Jamaica. Neutral ones are Nassau, Grand Cayman.

Does that help?

It does help! Thank you :) One of the cruises we are looking at has Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas. So three of your favorites (it also has San Juan).

I went to Nassau in January. It wasn't a bad port but I didn't have any kids with me. With kids, I would not schedule that port at all.

I might also suggest you pop over to the Ports of Call boards and see what each port has to offer, depending on what your group is into. LOTS of good information over there. I'd also suggest that IF you have a decent amount of port time, that you take the suggestions over on the Ports boards of some private excursions. I'm normally not a big fan of ship's excursions. I'd also love to tell you about what we've done in specific ports if you want, after you've chosen your itinerary or whatever.

I would love to know about all you've done. I will keep you updated, and you seem to have a lot of answers to my questions, so I apologize for "picking your brain". ;) :)

It does help! Thank you :) One of the cruises we are looking at has Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas. So three of your favorites (it also has San Juan).

I went to Nassau in January. It wasn't a bad port but I didn't have any kids with me. With kids, I would not schedule that port at all.

I would love to know about all you've done. I will keep you updated, and you seem to have a lot of answers to my questions, so I apologize for "picking your brain". ;) :)

We did the Liberty eastern itinerary last August and loved the ship and the ports.

I'm happy to help! Nassau is on the next cruise I'm looking at...I'm debating between a day pass at one of the hotels on the beach or a catamaran snorkeling trip. Do your kids snorkel? It's such a fun family hobby to introduce them to if not.

St. Thomas you HAVE HAVE HAVE to do an island tour with Sunny Liston. He was so awesome, and probably the highlight of our whole cruise. The kids and adults just LOVED him. http://www.sunnylistontours.com/description.html shopping, island tour and beach time. it was awesome.

Grand Turk you must head to Jack's Shack. The beach is nicer and easier to navigate than Margaritaville (which has big rocks and old coral you stub your toes on). Though it would be worth a quick stop to snorkel for a bit. But Jack's had fun music, good food and drinks (that are like HALF what they'll charge you at Margaritaville). They also have a fun dog there that the kids loved to hang with, Topher.

Half Moon Cay is a beach day, no brainer. It was gorgeous.

San Juan was a neutral port for us, I forgot about it, lol.

We just hopped the free trolley and wandered the forts (which were actually really cool, if you have to pick one, hit El Morro) and a short stroll down some of the streets for a quick bite and souvenir.

Just wondering how the Conquest class compares to the Dream. Dream is more $$ and then you have to get there from Orlando. But there is the Spa for us and the waterworks/slides for the kiddos. Liberty has Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan and HMC where Dream has Nassau, St Thomas, St Maartin. Western routes for Dream have Costa Maya rather that Grand Cayman. DH just said he wanted a new boat, not an old rusty one :confused:. Our kids will be 9 and 12 so I thought they might like Western but DH likes Eastern.

I'm happy to help! Nassau is on the next cruise I'm looking at...I'm debating between a day pass at one of the hotels on the beach or a catamaran snorkeling trip. Do your kids snorkel? It's such a fun family hobby to introduce them to if not.

St. Thomas you HAVE HAVE HAVE to do an island tour with Sunny Liston. He was so awesome, and probably the highlight of our whole cruise. The kids and adults just LOVED him. http://www.sunnylistontours.com/description.html shopping, island tour and beach time. it was awesome.

Grand Turk you must head to Jack's Shack. The beach is nicer and easier to navigate than Margaritaville (which has big rocks and old coral you stub your toes on). Though it would be worth a quick stop to snorkel for a bit. But Jack's had fun music, good food and drinks (that are like HALF what they'll charge you at Margaritaville). They also have a fun dog there that the kids loved to hang with, Topher.

Half Moon Cay is a beach day, no brainer. It was gorgeous.

San Juan was a neutral port for us, I forgot about it, lol.

We just hopped the free trolley and wandered the forts (which were actually really cool, if you have to pick one, hit El Morro) and a short stroll down some of the streets for a quick bite and souvenir.

Oh you were SOOO helpful!! That tour on St. Thomas looks great! I love those kinds of things, and I'm sure my girls would enjoy it too.

I've also heard numerous good things about Jack's Shack, so I will definitely put that on the list!

One of the reason's we were looking at this particular itinerary was because it had HMC. I like that it is a beach day that is almost 100% free. I've heard nothing but praise when it comes to going there (only negative I've heard is when it is missed), and dh and I will be going there next Jan to check it out for ourselves. :cool:

I was just looking at Carnival, and if I move our cruise to the beginning of Sept., we can save almost $200pp. When you have six people (of course it's cheaper for the 5th and 6th person) that makes a huge difference! Might have to do that...

Just wondering how the Conquest class compares to the Dream. Dream is more $$ and then you have to get there from Orlando. But there is the Spa for us and the waterworks/slides for the kiddos. Liberty has Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan and HMC where Dream has Nassau, St Thomas, St Maartin. Western routes for Dream have Costa Maya rather that Grand Cayman. DH just said he wanted a new boat, not an old rusty one :confused:. Our kids will be 9 and 12 so I thought they might like Western but DH likes Eastern.

First off, Carnival rennovates their ships every few years and there isn't an "old rusty one" in the fleet, I assure you.

Secondly, I'm hesitant to book the Dream. There are real mixed reviews out there in regards to the ship design, which isn't something you can change like less than stellar crew or particular crowd of fellow passengers. And all ships have a spa, just not the Cloud 9 spa, though I'm unsure of what the difference is. As for the waterworks, my kids have been so busy on their two cruises, we've never even made it into the pool, let alone the slide, so I don't know how much time they'd have to take advantage of it (between Camp Carnival during the majority of sea days, at THEIR request, and ports, it's BUSY).

My kids liked Eastern and Western equally, and are about the same ages.

Oh you were SOOO helpful!! That tour on St. Thomas looks great! I love those kinds of things, and I'm sure my girls would enjoy it too.

I've also heard numerous good things about Jack's Shack, so I will definitely put that on the list!

One of the reason's we were looking at this particular itinerary was because it had HMC. I like that it is a beach day that is almost 100% free. I've heard nothing but praise when it comes to going there (only negative I've heard is when it is missed), and dh and I will be going there next Jan to check it out for ourselves. :cool:

I was just looking at Carnival, and if I move our cruise to the beginning of Sept., we can save almost $200pp. When you have six people (of course it's cheaper for the 5th and 6th person) that makes a huge difference! Might have to do that...

Just be careful of hurricane season (June-November) and at the very least be sure to get travel insurance if you decide to switch.

Thanks. Yeah I know there isn't a rusty one, DH just thought I was trying to be frugal suggesting others. I tried to explain crowding on Dream, and Port Canaveral issues.

If "newer doesn't always mean better" doesn't work, do what I do. Tell him that you appreciate his input, and unless he wants to be the one doing all the legwork, you'll let him know what his choices are and you can go from there. ;)

Just be careful of hurricane season (June-November) and at the very least be sure to get travel insurance if you decide to switch.

Hmmm I completely spaced out when hurricane season was. I wonder what a November cruise in the Caribbean is like? If the girls are going to miss school anyway, I should also consider November.

Hmmm I completely spaced out when hurricane season was. I wonder what a November cruise in the Caribbean is like? If the girls are going to miss school anyway, I should also consider November.

We actually have come to the conclusion we PREFER November cruising. We've gone April, May, November and January. April and May were fine, but not as much fun going from warm spring midwestern weather to warm Caribbean weather, plus it's honestly getting a tad humid and warm down there at that point. January the water was noticeably chillier (almost to the point of not being real enjoyable) and I wasn't a big fan of playing "chicken" with the weather, even flying down a day early, and betting our vacation on the ability to make the flight. November was nice, we'll be taking our next cruise in November as well.

We actually have come to the conclusion we PREFER November cruising. We've gone April, May, November and January. April and May were fine, but not as much fun going from warm spring midwestern weather to warm Caribbean weather, plus it's honestly getting a tad humid and warm down there at that point. January the water was noticeably chillier (almost to the point of not being real enjoyable) and I wasn't a big fan of playing "chicken" with the weather, even flying down a day early, and betting our vacation on the ability to make the flight. November was nice, we'll be taking our next cruise in November as well.

I couldn't agree more! I just flew back from Jacksonville last month, and our flight barely made it back. We were actually diverted twice, and also the last plane to land at my 'home airport' before it was closed (not sure why, but the runway had been closed for a few hours, and they de-iced one runway for us just so we could land).

So the water is still ok for swimming, snorkeling, etc. in November?

Archived