Food Network on stateroom TV?

GoBlueCruiser

Just off the Island Princess yesterday, and on our flight home had our first experience with airline television. Among the limited viewing choices was Food Network, which we watched with enjoyment and our 2 1/2 hours flight zipped by.

This caused us to wonder whether Princess would consider adding Food Network to it's stateroom TV offerings. Based on cruise passengers' obvious passion for food, we're sure Food Network would generate much more interest than some of the current channels shown.

Food Network has had a previous experience with Princess when Robert Irvine cooked on the Sapphire Princess on the series Dinner Impossible.

We'd love to be able to watch Food Network onboard. What do you think?

Mike & Chris

It probably depends on availability on the satellite used, the cost of broadcast (I saw the figure a long time ago that it costs $10,000/ship per broadcast but that might be for special events) and interest. On our Sapphire cruise last month, one of the channels re-broadcast shows from the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, etc. Usually, none of the top US networks are re-broadcast so I doubt the cost of broadcasting a small, separate network such as the Food Network would give much ROI.

Princess does not want to see you sitting in your cabin, watching TV. They would much rather you were out at a bar, playing Bingo, shopping, etc. I don't think we will ever see Food Network in our cabins, but I could be wrong.
I think it's more that who wants to sit in their cabin watching TV anyway? You could do that at home without paying thousands of dollars. I rarely turn on the TV on a cruise nor do I sit in bars, play Bingo or shop, although others doing this helps keep the prices down for everyone.

I enjoyed the "morning show" that the CD and assistant did on closed circuit tv on the Coral. It was like watching Regis and Kelly! There was a lot of information with upcoming events, shore information, guests got to write in questions, etc. but it all was laid out between jokes, funny observations and a reparte between the CD and ACD. It was very funny. Made getting ready for the day informative and entertaining.

I know there is a Food Channel cruise later this fall with Anne Burrel but I believe it is on another line.

It's a trans-Atlantic cruise on Celebrity in November with the probability of rough seas and cold weather for several days. There won't be anything for passengers to do except watch Anne cook "brown food".

Yum!!!!

Mike

Archived