AZURA - family or adult only?

lady scout

Dont know why they take their children out, but we do it to save a fortune as most holiday companies think it is OK to rip off families who take their holidays in holiday time. We want to do the right thing and leave our childen in education, but sometimes have to do it! When will companies stop being greedy? Hold on watch that flying pig!!!!!;)

Dont know why they take their children out, but we do it to save a fortune as most holiday companies think it is OK to rip off families who take their holidays in holiday time. We want to do the right thing and leave our childen in education, but sometimes have to do it! When will companies stop being greedy? Hold on watch that flying pig!!!!!;)

Our schools forbid it. 6 or so lessons a day missed over 2 weeks = 60 missed lessons, how do the poor kids ever catch up?

I asked for one day before a school holiday one year, had to go and see the Head, and he told me in person - NO:mad:.

shouldn't be allowed --- ooh it isn't.

Our schools forbid it. 6 or so lessons a day missed over 2 weeks = 60 missed lessons, how do the poor kids ever catch up?

I asked for one day before a school holiday one year, had to go and see the Head, and he told me in person - NO:mad:.

Employers are saying that there are cases of school leavers seeking employment who can't read, write and do simple maths or arithmetic without a calculator. With people putting the cheaper cost of a holiday before their chilodren's education, what do you expect :mad:

My wife has just stopped me typing to read me an article in next week's Radio Times about children who are below standard. Read it for yourself. Next week's Radio Times, pages 10 - 14. The programmes are on Wednesdays Channel 4 @ 9.00pm. The actual article is about the Education system letting the children down, but what chance do the children have if parents are thinking of their pocket and holidays before education.

Why do you take your children out of school at term time?

Oh Lord not this old chestnut again:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Some LEA's do allow Head's to give up to 10 days' approved absence from school, which is the case in our area. As long as the school approves the absence and the child(ren)'s parents are comfortable with the decision that they've made, then it is no-one else's business:cool:!

Yes we have holidayed in term time with the school's permission, however she is still in Primary school. We ensure that she catches up with school work and discuss with her teacher the subjects to be covered in her absence. We DON'T expect school to provide additional tuition on her return.

Our daughter starts High School in September so our days of holidaying in term time are over. The impact on her education? She's predicted to get level 5 in her KS2 SATs.

Debbie:)

Oh Lord not this old chestnut again:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Some LEAs do allow Heads to give up to 10 days approved absence from school, which is the case in our area. As long as the school approves the absence and the child(ren)'s parents are comfortable with the decision that they've made, then it is no-one else's business:cool:!

Yes we have holidayed in term time with the school's permission, however she is still in Primary school. We ensure that she catches up with school work and discuss with her teacher the subjects to be covered in her absence. We DON'T expect school to provide additional tuition on her return.

Our daughter starts High School in September so our days of holidaying in term time are over. The impact on her education? She's predicted to get level 5 in her KS2 SATs.

Not sure why you would high school more important than a primary school.

:= (( Sure she'll learn a whole lot more this year than she will in Year 7. :D

I know it's an old chesnut and I hate myself for rising to it, but how can a child 'catch up' when he / she will have missed around 50 hours of teaching in the fortnight missed. It's not just all pages of sums these days. I also feel sorry for the poor teacher who has to discuss with you what is to be covered in your daughter's absence. Glad not all parents think the same.

In fact it's not up to Local Authorities to make the rules. DFE guidance says

"Under current the regulations, headteachers may grant leave of absence for the purpose of family holidays during term time. However, the application must be made in advance and the school must be satisfied that there are special circumstances which warrant the leave. In exceptional circumstances schools can agree more than ten school days leave of absence in a school year. Each request can only be judged on a case by case basis taking into account individual circumstances, such as the child's attainment, attendance and ability to catch up. While leave of absence might be granted for a term time holiday, for example where a parent has inflexible leave patterns in their career that do not coincide with school holidays, it is granted entirely at the headteacher's discretion, and is not a right."

Employers are saying that there are cases of school leavers seeking employment who can't read, write and do simple maths or arithmetic without a calculator. With people putting the cheaper cost of a holiday before their chilodren's education, what do you expect :mad:

My wife has just stopped me typing to read me an article in next week's Radio Times about children who are below standard. Read it for yourself. Next week's Radio Times, pages 10 - 14. The programmes are on Wednesdays Channel 4 @ 9.00pm. The actual article is about the Education system letting the children down, but what chance do the children have if parents are thinking of their pocket and holidays before education.

rum rat- being a fellow islander i think what Mr Pugh & his cronies are doing to the education system themselves on the Island is more than any lazy child could do!!! We Combine hoidays with school time so they only miss a few days - surely they learn more life skills going to see other countries ( rather than sitting on a beach). One of our children is part of a group of schools that point blank refuses holiday in term time ( although we still have to request it on a paper form to be be told "NO"!!:() & the other one is older & goes to a cluster of schools that allows up to 10days in term time ( although we never take it to the maximum.

If holiday companies had more 'even' fares throughout the year people woudl not need to take them out of school in the first place. If the government stepped in to even out the peaks & troughs then you would not need to take them out during school time. A long argument which wil go on for ages!!!:)

I find this kinda attitude a little unbelievable. I, as a child, was sick and it is clear from my school record I never spent an entire week at school from the age of 8 to 18. I often had 3 or 4 weeks in hospital at a time and you know what, I came out of school with 10 GCSEs (A grade) and 5 A levels (4 As and a B - the B was in General studies that they didn't have lessons for anyway...), oh and I didn't spend all weekend etc catching up. I can't see how missing the odd week here and there would make any difference at all...

Bnbx

Not sure why you would high school more important than a primary school.

:= (( Sure she'll learn a whole lot more this year than she will in Year 7. :D

Not sure what you mean by this perhaps you would be kind enough to explain?

I know it's an old chesnut and I hate myself for rising to it, but how can a child 'catch up' when he / she will have missed around 50 hours of teaching in the fortnight missed.

It's not just all pages of sums these days.

Yes I'm well aware of that. My daughter would be delighted if it was all Maths though as she is on the gifted children programme for that subject.

I also feel sorry for the poor teacher who has to discuss with you what is to be covered in your daughter's absence.

Covered off at the parent/teacher evenings that my daughter's school regularly holds. It takes no time at all to confirm the topic areas to be covered as we receive advance notice of what is to be covered each term at the start of every school year.

Glad not all parents think the same.

Personal remarks are uncalled for. You don't know me or my family - I'll just leave it at that.

In fact it's not up to Local Authorities to make the rules. DFE guidance says

"Under current the regulations, headteachers may grant leave of absence for the purpose of family holidays during term time. However, the application must be made in advance and the school must be satisfied that there are special circumstances which warrant the leave. In exceptional circumstances schools can agree more than ten school days leave of absence in a school year. Each request can only be judged on a case by case basis taking into account individual circumstances, such as the child's attainment, attendance and ability to catch up. While leave of absence might be granted for a term time holiday, for example where a parent has inflexible leave patterns in their career that do not coincide with school holidays, it is granted entirely at the headteacher's discretion, and is not a right."

I stand corrected. However, that is, in fact, the policy applied in our local schools.

Comments/responses in red above.

Rum Rat - although I love this forum for it's help giving cruisers answers to questions and has helped me a lot when planning for my last 3 cruises I can't sometimes believe the nerve of some people - do people actually think before they ask questions like why do we take our children out of school in term-time and before commenting on us thinking of "our pockets" only and the trauma it will cause my 10 year old son and 7 year old twin daughters!

My 1st answer to you all would be it is none of your business why we choose to take our kids out of school in term-time

My second answer would be that my childrens primary school permits 10 days authorised absence each year so their holiday is approved by the head teacher

My 3rd would be that we have been told that as my son will in his final year at Primary school next year that we are unable to take him out of school during February as he will be preparing for his sats and we accept that

My 4th would be that this will probably be our last "proper" holiday as a family as my husband is unable to take time off during school holidays so until all 3 of the kids have finished secondary school it is highly unlikely we will have a family holiday together unless I take them on my own or we grab a weekend away

My 5th would be that the reason is nothing to do with us thinking of "our pockets" but because we own a farm with 350 beef cows and run a contracting buisiness and we have cows calving during the christmas holidays and october and february half term and it is not possible for my husband to take leave during the easter/may half term and 6 weeks summer holidays

I could of course have been sarcastic and said we choose to take them out of school for 2 weeks to give the other children chance to catch up..............:rolleyes:

LOL that one Claire

Our kids Headteacher had no problem in authorising the leave for 11 days, in fact she asked if she could come with us:D.

best to ignore the 'Daily Mail brigade' IMHO

We always holidayed in term time, due to my dads set 'shutdown fortnight'

I don't think I suffered academically as a result of my parents actions.

Rum Rat appears to have gone very quiet!!! do you think he is having second thoughts about what he has said & is afraid to post on this thread again????:confused:

I don't sit here on the computer all the time.

Would you like a diary of my movements?

And no, I have not had second thoughts. I still think it is poor to take children out of school 'just for a holiday'. Aren't school holidays long enough already?

And to those who say, 'I have to be here there and everywhere all the time because I am that important', what happens to what you are 'supposed to be so important about', if you suddenly drop dead?

Bucket of water and an immersed closed fist comes to mind.

I knew of a person who was so very important in an Association. 'This' post, 'That' post, etc etc etc . Head and driving force. Suddenly dropped dead. Quick Committee meeting. His posts were divided up between 4 people. Association carried on as before.

Nobody, NOBODY is THAT important that children MUST be taken out of school.

It's not about people being important, it's about people living their lives the way they want to. I, personally can't see what harm missing 2 weeks of school can do if your child is keeping up easily and wants to go. My son is too young to go to school at the moment but I won't think twice about taking him out of school for a holiday... if I think he can cope well with it. I remember the last 2 weeks of term when I was a kid, we did sweet F.A. - I don't think missing a week of monopoly will make a difference to his life.

BnBx

PS coming from a farming background we never had holidays as kids as we couldn't get away from the milking - no one else to do it. It's not about importance it's about money - we couldn't afford anyone else to do it...

Probably the same thing that happens when a Primary School teacher goes off sick for a term with 'stress' - get a supply teacher in!

Would you be happy with a supply teacher who doesn't know the children very well knowing that the teacher has gone on holiday, I am sure I wouldn't be. I did take my children out of school but only for a day or two which the school gave permission for. This was quite a few years back and things have changed in schools now.

""It's not about people being important, it's about people living their lives the way they want to.""

I must be one of the odd ones out :(

When we had children, we wanted children and did what was best for them and consequently didn't have holidays in term time :(

In 'old age' and 'retirement' with the children leading very satisfying lives, we can holiday as we like.

Did I have my priorities wrong for the last 54 years? Judging by http://www.myalbum.com/Album=UI8UK7XD I don't think so

I think that a broader education is important too... I plan to take my son to Africa, The Galapagos and Alaska to name but a few places. Yes passing exams is important - and I would not let this suffer but seeing the world is also a form of education and it's no good going to some of these places at the wrong time of year -- Africa in the summer is too darned hot and bears are seen at their best in June etc... if you're going to go you might as well do it right.

I'm sure you did what you thought is/was best for your children and I'm sure I will do what I see as best for mine.

BnBx

""It's not about people being important, it's about people living their lives the way they want to.""

I must be one of the odd ones out :(

When we had children, we wanted children and did what was best for them and consequently didn't have holidays in term time :(

In 'old age' and 'retirement' with the children leading very satisfying lives, we can holiday as we like.

Did I have my priorities wrong for the last 54 years? Judging by http://www.myalbum.com/Album=UI8UK7XD I don't think so

Am i correct - that you are a fellow Islander????

I think that a broader education is important too... I plan to take my son to Africa, The Galapagos and Alaska to name but a few places. Yes passing exams is important - and I would not let this suffer but seeing the world is also a form of education and it's no good going to some of these places at the wrong time of year -- Africa in the summer is too darned hot and bears are seen at their best in June etc... if you're going to go you might as well do it right.

I'm sure you did what you thought is/was best for your children and I'm sure I will do what I see as best for mine.

BnBx

How lovely for your son. Now this is a trip he couldn't miss and you are correct about doing it right. It is not just a cheap holiday to Spain for the parents. If I had been able to afford something like this for my children when they were young then I would have taken them off as well. We did have lots of fun caravanning though:D:D:D

Archived