Bahamas- BEST things to see and do!!???

wvusmith84

Hey all!

I am a first time cruiser and we leave in about 2 weeks for the Bahamas. It is my boyfriend and I, and we are making 3 stops in the Bahamas. We will be at Nassua, Great stirrup Cay, and grand Bahamas island- So what I want to know is what are the best things to do?

We are trying to go low budget so we don't want to book any of the pricey shore excursions- We are both very good swimmers and plan on bringing our own snorkel gear. So any extra tips on places to see or eat or shop or go would be great!!

We want to try out local foods and beverages.- Whats the best food on the islands?

We don't want typical souvenirs- i.e. (mugs, keychains, goofy tourist stuff) No offense to those who love it, but if we are going to bring anything back I want it to be something really great.- So where are the cool local shops?

Best adventure to do on the islands? I don't want to wonder around wasting time, I want to get as much in a possible!!! :D

Any tips would be lovely!!!

GSC is your private beach day...it's part of your cruise fare. You can elect to do "beach stuff" for free!, or partake of any of the ship's excursions they offer there....there will be no "private" excursions at that stop. A BBQ lunch will be part of your day.

At Nassau, there are public beaches...don't know how the snorkeling might be tho...check the Port of Call board...they can help you with that! Same with Grand Bahamas....

Nassau has a straw-market right off the dock....lots of stuff....I'm sure you'll find something that is more "off the wall"! Of course, Atlantis is a cab ride away, if you want to do that. You can visit the hotel for only cab fare, but if you want to use the pool/beach, you will pay lots of $$$ for that!!!

There is snorkeling on the left side of the beach as you get off the tender in Great Stirup Cay.

In Nassau go right when you get off the ship to the straw market but never pay what they say is the price. they expect you to barter.

At the end of the straw market is Senior Frog's. GO THERE! WE went in to get somethng to drink and had a ball. Everyone is made a balloon hat -tall balloon twists, flowers with wrist corsage, a crocodile, etc. They had fun music to dance to, group kareoke and a conga line. On the conga line you go by guys who pours rum into your open mouth. I asked if they had the Dollar Wine song and was pulled up on stage to do it with the 'host'. Everyone there was having fun. and you will too!

If you go to Freeport you have to go into town as there is nothing but a few shops here. There is good snokeling here.

There is snorkeling on the left side of the beach as you get off the tender in Great Stirup Cay.

In Nassau go right when you get off the ship to the straw market but never pay what they say is the price. They expect you to barter. Even if you don't buy anything is is something to see!

At the end of the straw market, on the water, is Senior Frog's. GO THERE! WE went in to get somethng to drink and had a ball. Everyone is made a balloon hat -tall balloon twists, flowers with wrist corsage, a crocodile, etc. They had fun music to dance to, group kareoke and a conga line. On the conga line you go by guys who pours rum into your open mouth. I asked if they had the Dollar Wine song and was pulled up on stage to do it with the 'host'. Everyone there was having fun and you will too!

If you go to Freeport you have to go into town as there is nothing but a few shops here. Think cab fare is per person. There is good snokeling here.

When I was in Nassau last month, I took an excursion through Carnival to learn to ride a Segway. it was pricey ($85.00) but it was the time of my life!! They had a non Carnival excursion, but cameras weren't allowed.

How many people have been on a Segway?

Melanie

Archived