walking "outside the gates"

karen327

Has anyone been to Belize recently who decided to walk around and explore the city outside the gates of the protected tourist area? Can you tell me what there was to see and if you felt safe? Our excursion through Coral Breezes returns at 2:00 and we would like to look around a bit before returning to the ship.

Has anyone been to Belize recently who decided to walk around and explore the city outside the gates of the protected tourist area? Can you tell me what there was to see and if you felt safe? Our excursion through Coral Breezes returns at 2:00 and we would like to look around a bit before returning to the ship.

Short answer...not a lot. Immediately outside the TV gates and to your left there are a series of small shops between the TV and the swing bridge. About a block up and across the street is a small internet cafe. Across the street and two blocks over is a small flea market selling native stuff, but not at any real savings or anything really different from the TV.

Across the swing bridge into the downtown area of B.C. about a mile walk will bring you to the old St John's Anglican Church and the Cultural Center across from it. The Cultural Center has a lot of historical artifacts from the British colonial rule. It's in the old Governors mansion which you can see from the tender boats; large house with small cannons and a boat in the yard. But you'll need at least an hour or more to walk there and back, plus time to look around. I like walked around that part of the city, but I wouldn't make a special trip to see these two sites if your'e somewhat pressed for time.

I have to agree, there isn't a lot to see outside of the gates. Also, for some, it may be overwhelming, especially in the morning time when the locals are trying to get people to take their tours. We had to walk a little ways to get to the water taxi (went to Caye Caulker) in the morning. We couldn't focus on anything along the way. People were yelling for us to buy things and take tours and we stood out. One of my daugther was shaking by the time we made it to the water taxi station and my other kids were in a daze. We are not sheltered people. We live in a suburb outside of New Orleans and go to the city often, even during the Mardi Gras season. I only say these things so that people can envision "outside of the gates" a little bit better and make an informed decision. Also, things may calm down little bit after the rush of tourists arrive in tourisn village. We have shopped in the little flea market outside of tourism village on the way back from a tour and things were much calmer but I can't say I ever felt totally comfortable, because I did not.

Really?? We'll be going soon and my current plan is to take my wife and two daughters for a walk down to the water taxi and going to Caulker Caye. Is it really THAT bad? We've been lots of other places but not Belize. But the other places we've been, for example Antigua or Mexico, You'll constantly be asked to buy stuff but if you just keep saying no thank you, avoid eye contact and just keep moving, don't even slow down, and its no problem. Is Belize really that much different? That's the strategy I've developed for myself for dealing with that type situation and it works well for me. I think if you slow down at all or show the even least bit of interest that's when the vendor's will get even more aggressive.

I mean are people going to be impeding my path or grabbing us to get our attention, a boisterous mob surrounding us to where we can't even move, that kind of thing? I could see my wife and/or girls getting scared in that type of situation.

If that's really what its like, I've got my eye on a tour that leaves directly from the Tourism Village. Its significantly more expensive but maybe I will do that instead.

Tom

My girls were ages 9 - 12. They really were very uncomfortable. Nobody was touching or grabbing at us though. Nobody was blocking our way. I didn't make eye contact and we kept walking and weren't able to talk to each other. I just followed by husband and walked fast, straight ahead. It is hard to explain exactly but it is very different from Cozumel or any other Caribean port we have ever been to (Roatan, Grand Cayman, Guatemala, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Progresso, Calica). It just has a very different feel and definitely more agressive. It doesn't have that friendly feel like other ports, say Cozumel.

I just asked my husband to tell me what he remembers exactly. He remembers the same way I do. He said he wasn't comfortable at all (He is 6'2, a big guy). Also, we remember that in the water taxi station, where you have to line up to get onto the water taxi, was absolutely crazy. You are completely jammed like sardines in a very small space and if you aren't agressive and push forward, it would be hard to get onto the taxi (but then others will be behind it). We were completely and totally surrounded by what seemed like 100's of people (trying to get on a water taxi) and it seemed we were the only tourists. On the way back, there were other tourists on our water taxi but not on the way there, at least I don't think so.

If we ever go back, I would absolutely go on a tour that left from tourisn village or I would try Bannister island. This is just our feelings and opinions though and I tried to be as honest as possible about "our reality" when there.

If you feel like walking in an area that has run down shacks, homeless people and beggars, by all means go ahead...but if you don't like that sort of stuff...then stay in the "protected zone" or go on an excursion out of the city

This is just our feelings and opinions though and I tried to be as honest as possible about "our reality" when there.
Thank you, I think you are trying to give a thorough and honest assessment of your experience. I appreciate it. Hmm, wow. I'm not sure what we'll do yet but I really appreciate your information.

Tom

I can understand the nervousness of having to wind your way through a crowd of hawkers...which, BTW are very tame compared to any city in India or West Africa where you get flooded with kids begging and grabbing your bags or pimps trying to lure you into their gypsy cabs.

If you have time (say 15-20 minutes for a slow walk) you can skirt all this by going out the farthest gate on your right as you step off the tenders, hang an immediate right, and walk down Marine Parade to the Lighthouse, or when you hit Cork Street (about a block) cross the street and hang left walk up Cork Street til it ends (Eyre? or Front?) then hang left and walk down that street which winds a bit to your right and you'll end up across from the water taxi pier, before you get to the swing bridge. Cork Street has trees houses bed and breakfasts and hotels. You're merely a block over from all the brouhaha in front of the TV. Probably less than a 1/2 -3/4 mile walk total. Unusally though, the commotion in front of the TV gates ends by the time you get to the Hungry Howies/hippo-or what ever its called-sandwich cafe just past the main TV fence.

Really?? We'll be going soon and my current plan is to take my wife and two daughters for a walk down to the water taxi and going to Caulker Caye. Is it really THAT bad? We've been lots of other places but not Belize. But the other places we've been, for example Antigua or Mexico, You'll constantly be asked to buy stuff but if you just keep saying no thank you, avoid eye contact and just keep moving, don't even slow down, and its no problem. Is Belize really that much different? That's the strategy I've developed for myself for dealing with that type situation and it works well for me. I think if you slow down at all or show the even least bit of interest that's when the vendor's will get even more aggressive.

I mean are people going to be impeding my path or grabbing us to get our attention, a boisterous mob surrounding us to where we can't even move, that kind of thing? I could see my wife and/or girls getting scared in that type of situation.

If that's really what its like, I've got my eye on a tour that leaves directly from the Tourism Village. Its significantly more expensive but maybe I will do that instead.

Tom

Do it!!!!

Go to Caye Caulker....I did it four years ago and ended up moving here. I live in San Pedro but still make trips to Caye Caulker..

Be aware and just say no!!! you will have a blast on Caye Caulker

Karen if you are looking for something affordable and at the same time a true Belizean experience contact www.experiencebelizetours.com

Might I suggest you read the following before posting?

Ports of Call Posting Guidelines

Reviews/Recommendations of Tour Operators/Guides

Legitimate third-party recommendations/reviews for tour operators/guides/businesses *must* be posted in response to a request for the information. All others will be removed from the boards. Additionally, repeatedly posting the same “review” over and over in response to many threads is considered “spamming” and will be removed from the boards. Legitimacy of third-party recommendations to be determined at the sole discretion of Cruise Critic.

Post Shore Excursion Shares In ROLL CALLS

Posts looking for members to "share" your excursion, or posts mentioning that a few more spaces in a van are available and you should contact so and so, are not allowed on the Ports of Call forums. Please use the ROLL CALL thread for your ship’s sailing to find others willing to share your shore excursion tour costs.

Advertising is not allowed on Cruise Critic

Tour operators/guides/drivers/businesses in Ports of Call may not promote their business in any way -- that includes posting a link to your website, phone number, location, tour information, hours of operation, pricing, scheduling, etc.

Participation of Tour Operators/Guides/Businesses/Drivers/Locals in Ports of Call

There is no advertising or self-promotion allowed on Cruise Critic. Tour operators, guides, drivers, businesses and locals in ports of call may offer up advice of a general nature only. They may not include any company name or contact information, nor may they use Cruise Critic's forums to conduct customer service - either for themselves or any company. The simple mention of a 'tour' or that someone owns a business by an owner (or their agent or anyone in their employ) will be considered advertising and will be removed. Posts will be removed at the sole discretion of Cruise Critic. Repeated violation will result in suspension of posting privileges.

“One Post Wonders” – will be removed from the boards without notification to the author. This phenomenon essentially amounts to single or multiple posts created by a brand-new member touting tour operators/businesses/guides/drivers in ports of call.

Questions, comments, concerns? Write to community@cruisecritic.com.

Thank you all for your cooperation, Laura

Laura

Sr. Manager Community

community@cruisecritic.com

Cruise Critic

Archived