Calling those who have cruised w/ toddlers

valuv2travel

I'm taking a western carib cruise (first timer) and my two year old will be with me. I've been the many carib islands and the drivers are usually fast and crazy, but safe. Did you travel with car seats and take them ashore each time? I'm thinking this is going to be a PITA and I want to keep DD safe. Just curious to see what most folks do.

Thanks!

We took our 4.5yo and our 15mo old. We did not take car seats. We just knew that in port we wouldn't do anything that required any significant amount of travel in a vehicle. We did take a 10 minute taxi ride to the beach in Cozumel and just held the baby on our lap. She was fine...actually fell asleep. I wouldn't bother with the car seat - not much room in the cabin to store it.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm taking a western carib cruise (first timer) and my two year old will be with me. I've been the many carib islands and the drivers are usually fast and crazy, but safe. Did you travel with car seats and take them ashore each time? I'm thinking this is going to be a PITA and I want to keep DD safe. Just curious to see what most folks do.

Thanks!

We took twins , two, and bought "five way sit n strole " strollers-- look online-- which are awesome for travel-- car seat, stroller, booster, airline seat and makes martinis! Really, the best-- you will not be sorry.

The "sit and strolls" as stated above are awesome. I do know someone who has one and loves it. They travel a lot.

When we took our granddaughter on a cruise last year (she just made 3 yrs. old then) we brought along a seatbelt adjuster that we bought from ToysRUs. No, it does not replace a carseat or booster seat, but it at least adjusts the seat belts in the taxi to fit her properly. This way she is at least restrained. And it is small and fits right into your purse or bag to carry with you.

Here's a link to the item.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11290845

Just remember, most shuttle buses do not have seat belts. Heck, some taxis don't have them either. And if there's no seatbelt, you can't restrain a booster seat either.

we never took carseats when our kids were that little. As someone else mentioned, many taxis in port cities do not even have seat belts. It felt so weird not to have them buckled in, but we just figured it is part of the (slight) risk of travel (and walked when we could to avoid taxis).

Archived