Another Galveston Hotel search

Kaki

Don't know what date you need but, if a AAA member, the Four Points Sheraton at 2300 Seawall is having a special for $75 + tax at least through 3/31/11. I was just able to book this hotel for 2/26 at this price during Mardi Gras!!

Don't know what date you need but, if a AAA member, the Four Points Sheraton at 2300 Seawall is having a special for $75 + tax at least through 3/31/11. I was just able to book this hotel for 2/26 at this price during Mardi Gras!!

Thank you! I will check on that.

Thank you! The AAA deal worked!

Glad you got the deal!! I had been checking all the hotels in the area & the best price was $130 for Super 8!! Most hotels are sold out because of Mardi Gras or the prices very inflated. I had checked the 4 Points a couple of weeks ago and they were asking $169 with a 2 night minimum-- must have started offering the AAA Hotdeal once it was 2-3 weeks out. It is a new hotel so people probably aren't familiar with the hotel. We stayed at the hotel for our 01/09/11 & 01/30/11 cruises got this same deal--very nice, clean, quiet, new, good location--look out the window & see the ships. We just checked & on the 26th, 2 Mardi Gras parades will go right past the hotel.

I was so excited. That price for that hotel sounded so good. So, I checked. You were correct that the special ends March 31 and i don't sail until April 24. Bummer. I'm just keeping my $149. room. But if you all hear of anything this good for April, please come back and report.

Nancy

• 1 month later...

I am having such a hard time for this . Have never spent this much time in all my other cruises looking for hotels . Everything is expensive or bad reviews. Wanted to stay on Seawall because of the stupid car places not being opened on Sunday and closing at 12 on SAt. .Guess we are going to give up on sightseeing. May just come in on Sat. Didn't realize it was Mardi Gras. Even tried condos in Galveton. I don't understand how you can read a dozen reviews on a place. Someone loves it and somebody else says it is a dump in bad neighborhood. Makes no sense. Please Give me a few tips. I tried everywhere including priceline,hotwire,travelocity,travelzoo,hotwire and a million more plus AAA and AARP.

Reviews are subjective. Don't let that put you off. Some people are never pleased with anything.

There are many hotels on Seawall Blvd with a wide range of prices. Mardi Gras weekends are subject to higher rates as they would be in any city having a large festival drawing several hundred thousand people and generally have a 2 night minimum ( New Orleans has 3 night minimum). The island is easy to get around in the historic area.

The car rental is a franchise and subject to the owner whims. I agree we need more renal agencie here and have written to all the majors describing the situation in Galveston and the potential for business.

Note: the Country Inn & Suites is on the beach side, the ships dock on the bay side about 32 blocks away.

I am having such a hard time for this . Have never spent this much time in all my other cruises looking for hotels . Everything is expensive or bad reviews. Wanted to stay on Seawall because of the stupid car places not being opened on Sunday and closing at 12 on SAt. .Guess we are going to give up on sightseeing. May just come in on Sat. Didn't realize it was Mardi Gras. Even tried condos in Galveton. I don't understand how you can read a dozen reviews on a place. Someone loves it and somebody else says it is a dump in bad neighborhood. Makes no sense. Please Give me a few tips. I tried everywhere including priceline,hotwire,travelocity,travelzoo,hotwire and a million more plus AAA and AARP.

Most hotels don't have reservations open for 02/12 yet. Gaido's Inn is an old motel but seems to have great reviews--they have special prices for cruisers. You might try calling them--they are on the seawall. Also, Inn at the Park an older motel type, not on seawall, has great customer reviews is listed at $74. We are staying at Springhill Suites this coming weekend before our cruise--it is not on Seawall, but got a AAA deal at $84--just checked for 02/11/12 it is $118 for AAA--I'll report back on how we liked it. The Harbor House & maybe Tremont are the only hotels close enough to the port to walk to terminal. Several hotels (Hilton, Holiday Inn, Comfort Suites--that I know of) have shuttles to the port. I have found the best prices to be on the individual hotel web sites. Call the Harbor House, their reservations are not open yet on line for Feb--you may be able to get 1 night for Feb, if you call them now--worth a try.

Thanks to the few people who emailed me back. I have found most of them will give me rates for Feb. In fact, quite a few are already sold out. I really wanted to stay 2 nites because it a place I have never been. I have spent a whole week looking every nite for a couple hours each nite. I have really bad bone spurs so I can't walk 40 blocks on cement. I enjoy walking but I don't want to be dead when I get on the cruise. I am going to write to Entrerprise too and ask them if they are thinking of opening 7 days a week starting the beginning of the year. If anyone looking to be a tour guide for Galveston would be a great way to earn extra money. We take tours on a lot of our islands. I found HOldiday Inn Express on the Seawall wasn't too bad but a little far down. It is $152.00 plus tax. I find everything is a lot more money than Florida. I blame myself for not checking more. My brother and his wife were on the phone from Seattle. We had to book that Thursday nite to get a deal. Please tell me Mardi Gras is not a nitemare. Went out of Florida one time when the super bowl was there. It was the day from hell. Never in all my cruises did we see that again. Haven't told my husband yet. He doesn't like crowds. Don't want to get divorced over this. smile. Going to look a little more.

Thanks to the few people who emailed me back. I have found most of them will give me rates for Feb. In fact, quite a few are already sold out. I really wanted to stay 2 nites because it a place I have never been. I have spent a whole week looking every nite for a couple hours each nite. I have really bad bone spurs so I can't walk 40 blocks on cement. I enjoy walking but I don't want to be dead when I get on the cruise. I am going to write to Entrerprise too and ask them if they are thinking of opening 7 days a week starting the beginning of the year. If anyone looking to be a tour guide for Galveston would be a great way to earn extra money. We take tours on a lot of our islands. I found HOldiday Inn Express on the Seawall wasn't too bad but a little far down. It is $152.00 plus tax. I find everything is a lot more money than Florida. I blame myself for not checking more. My brother and his wife were on the phone from Seattle. We had to book that Thursday nite to get a deal. Please tell me Mardi Gras is not a nitemare. Went out of Florida one time when the super bowl was there. It was the day from hell. Never in all my cruises did we see that again. Haven't told my husband yet. He doesn't like crowds. Don't want to get divorced over this. smile. Going to look a little more.

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton on Sat night this past Mardi Gras--2 parades went right past the hotel--we had a ball collecting beads! There were a lot of people but not overly crowded. If you want to stay away from the big crowds I would suggest you stay on the west end of seawall. Most of the crowds will be at the Strand & along the Eastern Seawall. Would think 50th st on west would be less crowded.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived