Feedback required re cabin

Jamar72

We have just booked our first cruise on Rhapsody for Jan 2012 and currently have booked cabin 8535. Can anybody give an idea as to whether this is a quieter deck.

My hubby is also a little concerned about me suffering sea sickness (never been on a boat so don't know if it will be an issue) and is wondering if we should be looking at a lower deck. Any feedback you can offer re this cabin etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Those cabins are interesting as they're crosswise instead of the more usual perpendicular from the aisle - well designed as cabins though. You'll thus be rocking head to toe instead of side to side which is more typical, so it could accentuate things.

The waters that way though usually aren't too bad - but it is cyclone season so if there are storms that means you could experience it. In those cases though, I doubt any deck would help you. Your cabin location is good though.

The deck itself is quiet due to the lower number of rooms; however, you do have the pool decking above you so it could have some noise during daylight hours from activity above, not sure how much of an issue that would be.

If someone is prone to seasickness I don't think it makes much difference where you are situated on board, although being up near the bow, the pointy end, will accentuate it heading into a seaway and pitching fore and aft.

Btw, crosswise on a vessel is called athwartship, like that round window, called a porthole, lol.:)

I was in 8588, my kids were in 2638. Didn't matter where you were in rough seas! I had a sick kid in each cabin at the worst of it.

The aft cabins are great. If you can pick one of the corner afts (doesn't matter which one), that would be my choice. They are quiet as they are at the end of the deck and the spa is above so no above noise.

Also with deck noise on Deck 9, starboard is also the smoking side so there may be more movement/scraping noise? later at night/earlier in the morning due to people needing their fix who aren't in a balcony cabin :p However, this question would be better addressed by someone who has actually stayed in one of those cabins.

The bed in my corner aft cabin was crossways so side to side rocking if there is a pitch when your in beddy byes :D Our seas were pure pitch but I think that's because Rhapsody has AWESOME STABILISERS!

Some people say it's the roll that makes you sick, others say the pitch.....I say it doesn't matter! I also believe if you focus too heavily on it....you will be sick, even if you weren't going to be! That's my opinion and I'm sticking too it :p

Thanks all. Certainly need to start learning some ship terminology though coz some of that info was a bit mumbo jumbo to me. :confused: Which part of the ship is starboard? I better learn where that is quick smart as being a smoker I will be needing to know :D.

I also noticed that in the brochures the layout of the inside staterooms has the door at the end with the bathroom on the left and the wardrobe on the right. Does anyone know where the door will be situated on one of the cabins and will this mean we will loose wardrobe space as a result.

I also noticed that in the brochures the layout of the inside staterooms has the door at the end with the bathroom on the left and the wardrobe on the right. Does anyone know where the door will be situated on one of the cabins and will this mean we will loose wardrobe space as a result.

I have been in 8033 which is the same type of cabin, the door is between the bed and the shower and the wardrobe is at the end of the cabin, the cabins are quite small , didn't experience a lot of noise though.

Thanks all. Certainly need to start learning some ship terminology though coz some of that info was a bit mumbo jumbo to me. :confused: Which part of the ship is starboard? I better learn where that is quick smart as being a smoker I will be needing to know :D.

jamar, being a smoker once the duty free shop opens up you can buy your smokes and take them back to your cabin, not like p&o and princess if you order from the duty free shop you get them on the last night

Facing the front of ship, port is the left side, starboard the right side.

The pointy end is the bow, the back of ship is the stern.

Pitching is when the ship rocks fore and aft like a seesaw.

Rolling is when ship rolls from side to side.

Round windows are called port holes.

The captain has a first officer in case he [the captain] gets sea sick.:)

Facing the front of ship, port is the left side, starboard the right side.

The pointy end is the bow, the back of ship is the stern.

Pitching is when the ship rocks fore and aft like a seesaw.

Rolling is when ship rolls from side to side.

Round windows are called port holes.

The captain has a first officer in case he [the captain] gets sea sick.:)

Thanks for this info. I certainly had no idea what some of these terminologies meant. :o Now I will know what you are all talking about when you use these words. :)

By the time I actually get on the ship I will be somewhat of an expert through reading this forum.

Muster is the lifeboat drill that all passengers attend just before you sail

On Rhapsody (it varies from ship to ship and cruise line to cruiseline) smoking is allowed on the starboard side (right) midship of Deck 9 in the outside area pool area and starboard on Deck 5 as well as your balcony. It is not allowed anywhere else on the ship including inside your cabin. You will know the smoking areas by the ashtrays on the tables on Deck 9 and they are attached to the wall on Deck 5. There's also no smoking signs on the doors to Deck 5 if you go out on the wrong side. Easy peasy.

will this mean we will loose wardrobe space as a result.

Relatively speaking, this cabin has more wardrobe space than some (though there are many different configurations). The wardrobe at the end is a good size, extending back past other cupboards. You also have a separate small wardrobe beside the door.

Archived