New Orleans hotels on Streetcar Lines

Can any of you savy New Oreans travelers tell me of hotels that are on one of the streetcar lines? I was interested in the Maison St. Charles but they do not provide free shuttle to cruise ship. Maybe it would be worth it to pay a taxi. It would cost $139 first night of our precruise stay & $89 the second. We are sailing on Carnival on Dec. 4th. I can't find a map of streetcar lines & their stops. Thought that would be a great way to take in the French Quarter area. Any & all info is welcome. Thanks a bunch!

The street cars really do not run through the French Quatrer except along Canal Street. Most of the French Quarter is to the north side of Canal Street and down towards the river and up through the Jackson Square area.

We stayed at Maison St. Charles this past Nov. and really enjoyed it. We did 2 nts. pre-cruise, not nearly enough time. The streetcar does stop right in front and goes downtown. We ended up taking a taxi to port, very easy, but I don't remember how much.

We loved the hotel. We had booked it primarily because we used our Choice points for the stay, but were very pleased.

• 3 weeks later...

The Astor Crown Plaza is on the corner of Canal and Bourbon, facing Canal. Very comfortable, and the street car runs right in front. There are 2 main lines. One runs straight in front of the hotel as far as the cemeteries, and the other one goes thru the garden district and to the zoo. If you want to go to the Quarter from the Crown Plaza, you can walk a couple of blocks east. There is a blue line street car that will take you from Canal street to the edge of the French Quarter, but it goes behind alot of the buildings and you don't really see anything. $5 a day and you can ride all you want, with a pass purchase from the driver. If you want to tour the French Quarter and not do all the walking, catch a buggy ride in Jackson Square for about $40/hour for 2 people.

Here is a map on this link (on page 2 of the pdf). The lines are blue, red, and green and start in the downtown shaded area of the map.

http://www.norta.com/Files/Route_PDFs/RTASystemMapBrochure1210web.pdf

I think the St. Charles line is undergoing construction that will have major portions of it closed through the rest of the year. Buses will be used to complete the sections of the line that are being worked on.

Archived