hyatt regency

bogforce

Zydecocruiser

Thanks for great current picturers. On Hyatt website they say they are remodeling for 2006, what do you know about this? Also is this a time-share property? Do they allow people from the cruise ships to use the beach and facilities, or is there a cost? Thanks

I think all beaches in GC are public. Not sure about the rest. I would think that since so much of the facility is being renovated that they would welcome cruisers to spend some time and money there, since there aren't going to be that many people staying there to compete with them You would have to call/email to be certain.

We stopped in Grand Cayman on Feb 18. We had first planned to spend the day at Seagrapes after reading many reviews. We took a taxi and paid $4.00 each. The taxi driver tried to talk us into stopping at the Beach Club, but we were set on Seagrapes.

Once we got to Seagrapes, we were somewhat disapointed. It did not look like a resort at all. We were aware of the $10 chair rental and $5.00 umbrella. It was a hot and windy day and they were not renting out any umbrella's. The picnic tables by the bar offered the only shade. We decided not to stay and set off to find another resort. We did find out later that the taxi had dropped us off at the cafe. Apparently, Seagrapes resort was right next door. I am not sure what was offered there, but they did have the beach lounge chairs with attached umbrella's.

Instead we took off for a walk down the beach and ended up at the Hyatt. They offer a $35.00 day pass which included towel, beach chair with individual canopy, use of their pool and hot tub, as well at a $15 credit for the bar and restaurant. This also included all gratuities. Ther may have been other amenities that I have forgotten. The resort is very clean and the workers friendly. We did take a walk next door to the beach club which offered a day pass for $10.00. I am not sure what this included, but the resort was very crowded and seem a little more run-down than the Hyatt.

The only downside of the day ended up being the ride back to the pier. There were not any taxi's and the Hyatt desk suggested we try to catch a public bus. We crossed the very busy street and soon a very crowded bus stopped. It was more of a van than a bus and seemed to have every seat taken. We ended up crammed in on the jump seat with me sitting on my husbands lap. I suggest leaving plenty of time to get back to the pier. The bus took the long way around as it dropped off many locals before stopping at the pier.

Overall, the day was very peaceful at the beautiful beach and I would not hesitate to recommend the Hyatt for anyone looking for a quiet spot to spend the day.

How far away from Sea Grapes is the Hyatt? Do you think the taxi fare directly to the Hyatt would have been more or less? I'm trying to decide where to spend our day in Grand Cayman as we have already seen the stingrays twice and want a nice beach day.

I was at the Hyatt on February 18, 2005 and it looked fine to me. I found no signs of renovations.

The Hyatt is closer to the pier than Seagrapes. The taxi ride is $3.00 to the Hyatt and $4.00 to Seagrapes. Since we were dropped of at Seagrapes, it took at little over 30 minutes to walk along the waters edge back to the Hyatt. We ended up spending the day there.

Mikelincj

Did you have any problems getting a taxi back to the pier at the Hyatt? We will be in GC on April 3rd. The only ship in port that day. We are thinking of spending the afternoon at the Hyatt. Thanks

We did have a little problem getting a taxi back to the pier. We asked at the Hyatt, and they suggested either going next door to the Beach Club or trying to catch a bus. I believe the Beach Club is the resort that RCCL lists in their beach excursion. It was very crowded and since it was late in the day, the line for the taxi was very long. We decided not to wait and ran across the very busy street to catch the bus. We only waited a few minutes when a public bus pulled up. It is more of a van and was crowded with both locals and tourists. It did not look like they could fit any more people, but we did cram inside. The bus took a longer route as they dropped off the locals. The pier was the last stop. The cost was $3.00 per person which is the same as a taxi. I would not hesitate to go back to the Hyatt. Just be sure allow time to get back to the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
You purchase the pass at the bar by the pool.

We had lunch at the outdoor restuarant. We ordered hamburgers and fries. The food was good and they will bring it to your beach chair if you want.

Can you pay for the day pass at the Hyatt with a credit card or they only accept cash? Is it $35 per person and do children pay the same price? Thanks.:confused:

We used a credit card for our day pass. They take your card and start a tab for you. They wanted to keep our credit card but I was not comfortable with that, so we just said that we may need it to shop during our day. They did not have a problem with that. You are given a number for your tab which you use when you place an order. When you are ready to leave, stop at the bar to finalize your tab and sign the credit card slip.

It is $35.00/person. I am not sure about charges for children.

Hope this helps!!

We used a credit card for our day pass. They take your card and start a tab for you. They wanted to keep our credit card but I was not comfortable with that, so we just said that we may need it to shop during our day. They did not have a problem with that. You are given a number for your tab which you use when you place an order. When you are ready to leave, stop at the bar to finalize your tab and sign the credit card slip.

It is $35.00/person. I am not sure about charges for children.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you so much. I'll use the same shopping excuse and keep my credit card with me. :)

Just back from a lovely time at the Hyatt. We paid the 35$ for the adults in our party but not the kids. The kids had a great time, we had plenty of room to spread out, used their pools and towels, chairs with individual canopy, nice lunch, our favorite day.:)

When we were ready to return there was a taxi driver waiting, she had 2 people onboard and added our 5 to make a full load. No problems.

the hyatt is definitely open. thank you to lovemylife for letting all of us know. i just looked at the website that the former person who said that it was closed, recommended. there are 17 pictures of the hotel and pricing for the rooms the day that my cruise ship will be there. looks pretty much open to me.

once again, thanks to everyone on these great boards!

We will be in Grand Cayman in May from the Navigator. Can you tell me what do you get for the $35.00 day pass at the Hyatt? Use of the pool, towels, and what is the $15. food voucher? How does it work? So actually, you are pay ing $20. for the use of the pool, and $15. goes towards food/drinks? Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

When you arrive, you give the bartender at the pool bar a credit card to open a tab. They will charge 35 dollars and give you your day pass. You take your pass to the towel hut, this is how security knows who belongs there and who is sneaking in from the beach. They have a guy whose only job appears to be chasing away people who try to sneak up from the beach.

You are absolutely right, you are paying $20 to use their facilities. The $15 credit applies to anything you might eat or drink during your stay. You can use the pools, one has a swim up bar, which is fun, the other pool didn't have a soul in it other than my kids. We had chairs on the beach with canopies which were nice. There are cheaper places, one right next door, but they all seemed pretty crowded to me and we like a little space.

Archived