Fred's Shore Excursions - Adventure?

BORDER REIVER

Hi, we are going on our first Fred Olsen cruise in September, to Scandinavia and as it will be our honeymoon ;), we're really looking forward to it. We are hoping for excursions with a bit of adventure, but I read recently that because the average age of Fred's passengers is about 70, the excursions tend to be nearly all short and easy coach trips, with any walking kept to a minimum and nothing strenuous. Is this report accurate?

We are in our late 50's and quite fit, so there wouldn't be much that we wouldn't try.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I havn't been to the are you have quoted Border but I have travelled with Fred O and found everyone to be very sociable and that there are plenty of people who are ready to take on something different. Have a look on the available excursions for your sailing and see if there is anything that suits:

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/plan-cruise/cruise-details/L1103

We frequently take a look at an area and do our own thing, depending on the sort of place we are visiting. There are some places where there is not really an option other than to take a tour.

Do a search on the places you are to visit and the tourist site and you will be surprised what is on offer. I enjoy doing that, which is why I spotted your post.

Which trip is it you are taking?

Hi, we are going on our first Fred Olsen cruise in September, to Scandinavia and as it will be our honeymoon ;), we're really looking forward to it. We are hoping for excursions with a bit of adventure, but I read recently that because the average age of Fred's passengers is about 70, the excursions tend to be nearly all short and easy coach trips, with any walking kept to a minimum and nothing strenuous. Is this report accurate?

We are in our late 50's and quite fit, so there wouldn't be much that we wouldn't try.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Take no notice of people that say Freds., ships are like rest homes,no such thing, yes ,older people do cruise more but not ALL on FOs ships.

There is normally one excursion out of a list of excursions at each port ,for wheel chair and people who find it difficult to get about as quickly as others.

I think you will find most of FOs cruisers are not "quite fit" but "very fit".

Have a lovely honeymoon and what a beautiful place to take it.:)

Thanks for your tips folks - it's appreciated. We did do "our own thing" on a trip to Greenland last year - a very fast boat trip through the fjords, among icebergs - it was thrilling.

Hawks11 - We are cruising from Newcastle to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and Kristiansand.

Thanks for your tips folks - it's appreciated. We did do "our own thing" on a trip to Greenland last year - a very fast boat trip through the fjords, among icebergs - it was thrilling.

Hawks11 - We are cruising from Newcastle to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and Kristiansand.

We did Copenhagen last year and got on a hop on hop off bus and saw the city that way. For Stockholm my wife was not too well and we just did a tour of the harbour area. Get up early to see the ship come in to Stockholm, the trip to the docking area if a bit special.

I was thinking you were going to Norway where you would have more challenging walking I imagine.

I havn't been to Kristiansand, see you can do a bike tour:

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Stories/Norway/South/Kristiansand-and-around/

• 3 weeks later...

We are also in our 50's and last year there were excursions such as dune buggy racing,snorkling, party boats just to name a few. We found the ship rather like a country house hotel very comfortable with a mixture of people. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves we did and are going back again this year:)

Of course many of the passengers on the Fred. Olsen ships tend to be on the elderly side but this does not mean that they are lacking in energy or an adventurous spirit. Last Summer several of us took two-hour Zodiac trips at the North Cape of Norway which is not for the faint-hearted. Not long ago when the "Balmoral" did the Northern World cruise several of us did the four-day tour of China which needed a degree of enthusiasm and energy. I could go on! There will always be those who lack energy and adventure but they are not exclusively the elderly. To those who want some lively shore time on Fred. Olsen then it is there if you only look for it. :)

Archived