Visa Requirements

cruiselovers20

the 90 day is no longer in affect as of June for both Americans and Canadians--you can now apply any time prior to travel and it is good for 10 years for Americans and 5 for Canadians.

You can go thru a visa service but we did ours ourselves, you still need to get the same documentation whether you go thru a service or not and that was where the pain was for us, getting everything together. In total it took two weeks to get it, and we dropped it off and picked it up, but many people I know have had no problems with sending via courier.

For us (traveling to Rio for five days, then on a cruise) we did not require the Yellow Fever shot.

vickie

You only need the YF shot if you are coming from certain areas. We needed it in 2009 because we stopped at Devil's Island. This past Feb./March didn't need it because we were just arriving from Chile. Lucky me will be able to use our 5 year Visa again in January of '13 and again won't require the YF shot.

You only need the YF shot if you are coming from certain areas. We needed it in 2009 because we stopped at Devil's Island. This past Feb./March didn't need it because we were just arriving from Chile. Lucky me will be able to use our 5 year Visa again in January of '13 and again won't require the YF shot.

that is good to know, I mentioned to my honey that now that the visa is good for five years we need to make at least one more trip to Brazil to get our money's worth

..I wasnt aware we need to plan to get it within 90 days of arriving....We thought we could apply now to be used Feb 2012.

cruiselovers20:)

Check with the Miami consulate. We just applied for a received our visas in August for our cruise in February. The Los Angeles website says you no longer have to apply withing 90 days of entering Brazil. And it also says that all visas are now good for 10 years. If you follow the directions on their website, it is an easy process, even if it is time consuming. We didn't feel the need to pay double to have a visa service do it when the consulate was within a 50 mile drive.

Good luck.

that is good to know, I mentioned to my honey that now that the visa is good for five years we need to make at least one more trip to Brazil to get our money's worth

The new Visas cost $10 more, but are good for 10 years.

Check with the Miami consulate. We just applied for a received our visas in August for our cruise in February. The Los Angeles website says you no longer have to apply withing 90 days of entering Brazil. And it also says that all visas are now good for 10 years. If you follow the directions on their website, it is an easy process, even if it is time consuming. We didn't feel the need to pay double to have a visa service do it when the consulate was within a 50 mile drive.

Good luck.

We got ours in Miami and their rules are different than LA. And those in Atlanta are different than Miami and LA. It seems that each consulate runs their "business" their own way.

sadly ours are still good for only five years :-( and just got it, so we have to get our value in while we can, but the cost was only $81.25 for us

but happy in Canada

Vickie

I B****ed about the initial price and then I used it again and thought differently. Now that we're booked for 2013 and I get to use it a third time, I'm thinking the original price was a bargain. :D

Great minds think alike -- I've been looking at the Manaus-FLL itinerary!

Wonderful; you will love it. We did it as a B2B; 14 up/14 back. That way we didn't have to fly.

In my dreams (the one where they pay brand-new assistant professors six-figure salaries and give them an entire month off between semesters!), the b2b is definitely a contender.

I've wanted to see Manaus ever since I read an article about it long, long ago in Travel & Leisure or Conde Nast Traveler. That would be the upside of not doing a b2b, to get to spend a few days pre-cruise there.

Got our Brazil Visa for our SA cruise this year....went to the embassy in LA....easy process, but they are very strict on the paperwork and drop off/pick up dates. Had to drop it all off on one day, certain hours; then return 5 days later, certain hours to pick up. No wiggle room there.

It was $140 for a 10 year visa - no 90 day requirement any more - at least that is what we were told.

If your passport expires, just take the old one along with the visa in it - still good for 10 years. Unlike Chile - passport expires, visa is no good either.

No YF shot needed for SA cruise, but we didnt go to any indemic areas before arriving in Brazil.

Brazil is VERY strict on their visa requirements - some were put off the ship before Brazil or not allowed to board without the visa.

Many thanks!

Brazilian Consulate General in Miami

80 SW 8th Street, Suite 2600

Miami, FL 33130-3004

Phone: (305) 285-6200

Fax: (305) 285-6229

Fax on demand for information and forms: (305) 285-6259

E-mail: consbras@brazilmiami.org

Jurisdiction: States of Florida, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.

Go here for the Brazil Consulate office in Miami:

http://www.brazilmiami.org/eng/visas.php

Notice they only receive applications for visas from 10Am to Noon every day. Also says it takes 5 days before you can pick the visa up and can be picked up only between 3 PM and 4PM.

May be easier to use a visa service; such as Generations Visa Service (we have used them before, no problems), or Zierer Visas, and there are others.

Get a multiple entry visa if it does not cost more, you might go back; never know. I see there is now a visa good for 10 years. Cost is $160 for Brazil consulate. The visa services charge around $75 to $80 for each visa they get for you. As the USA raises the cost for a Brazilian to get a US visa, Brasil raises their fee for a US citizen to get a Brazil visa. So the $160 Brazil charges is probably what the US charges a citizen of Brazil to get a US visa

This was our experience at the Chicago Consulate also. Very strict drop off and pick up times. I would probably pay the extra $$ and use a service to save yourself the hassle. I had heard last year that Brazil was going to relax the 90 day rule because of the upcoming Olympics and World Cup. I don't know if that has happened but worth a check. One more tip: there was a woman on our flight Dallas-Rio because an American Airlines gate agent was confused with the "enter Brazil within 90 days" rule. The gate agent kept telling her she needed to have her visa at least 90 days BEFORE travel. This poor woman had her seat taken away from her on an overbooked flight and given to someone else. When the gate agent finally understood she didn't know if she could undo what she had done. The woman DID get on the flight....last seat. Always good to know the rules! BTW...we had a fabulous and amazing cruise!

This was our experience at the Chicago Consulate also. Very strict drop off and pick up times. I would probably pay the extra $$ and use a service to save yourself the hassle. I had heard last year that Brazil was going to relax the 90 day rule because of the upcoming Olympics and World Cup. I don't know if that has happened but worth a check. One more tip: there was a woman on our flight Dallas-Rio because an American Airlines gate agent was confused with the "enter Brazil within 90 days" rule. The gate agent kept telling her she needed to have her visa at least 90 days BEFORE travel. This poor woman had her seat taken away from her on an overbooked flight and given to someone else. When the gate agent finally understood she didn't know if she could undo what she had done. The woman DID get on the flight....last seat. Always good to know the rules! BTW...we had a fabulous and amazing cruise!

yes they made the change in June of this year, you no longer have to wait till 90 days prior to get your visa....

which makes it much easier - we got ours in August for February

Archived