Small items for a gift

bluesea4me

Sorry, I thought that you were asking for gifts to bring to children on the islands.

I am a teacher as well and my classes of 8-9 year olds loved whenever I brought seashells back for them. Seeing as we live on the prairies, the shells were a novelty for them.

Sorry, I thought that you were asking for gifts to bring to children on the islands.

I am a teacher as well and my classes of 8-9 year olds loved whenever I brought seashells back for them. Seeing as we live on the prairies, the shells were a novelty for them.

I'd love to bring shells back, but when we were in Aruba, we were told that it wouldn't make it through inspection because your not supposed to be bringing them into the states due to species...blah blah. Hmmm now I'm wondering.:confused:

If they find the shells, they will take them away from you. If they take the shells and that's your gift, you'll be left empty-handed. Try the other suggestions. I wouldn't take the chance of returning and saying, "your gift is with Inspector 105"..Cayman dollars is something I hadn't thought of, but I like that. Do they have coins??? I can't remember. That would be a cheap, fun souvenior.

Well, it looks like money might be the winner so far. In Roatan (i've posted on the boards for all of the placing we are porting) it is bills. They say a 1 would be .05 for me. Def. will be getting 18 of those! So that's .90 spent, then in 'cayman hopefully a coin around the same value! then Coz and Belize...probably won't happen, but would be neat! keep the ideas coming, I love them and thank you!

Smallest currency notes in Cayman are CI$1=US$1.25. Coins are available in CI$.01 CI$.05 CI$.10 and CI$.25. Each is worth 25% more than their American counterpart.

There is a shop on the water side of Harbour Drive next to Atlantis where they sell sea shells. The shells are imported - not locally collected.

great ideas! I won't chance the shells and I really want to get something unique to each ports culture. While getting a wood carving or a sombrero, etc. etc., that may prove to be a little expensive.

I guess if I have no luck then I'd rather not get them anything. So no Dollar Store...but thanks for the idea! Better to be truthful than lie I say. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

GC is rich in pirate history and that is always facinating to kids. Perhaps a book that talks about the pirates that were associated w/ GC. or a ship model to construct as a project. If you are a teacher and have a "treasure" box perhaps whatever trinkets you get could be delivered in the treasure box. I seem to remember a very good chocolate shop. Not sure if they have the gold foil covered chocolate coins, but that may be appreciated.

GC is rich in pirate history and that is always facinating to kids. Perhaps a book that talks about the pirates that were associated w/ GC. or a ship model to construct as a project. If you are a teacher and have a "treasure" box perhaps whatever trinkets you get could be delivered in the treasure box. I seem to remember a very good chocolate shop. Not sure if they have the gold foil covered chocolate coins, but that may be appreciated.

Great idea

And of course I've got a treasure box. Now I'll keep my eyes open for thar stuff Too! TY

After getting off the tender, to the right about two blocks there is an open air market with local made items. Cayanite is the island "stone", a brown sort of rock. There are many locaal items to choose from the market at different prices. You are bound to find something.

Archived