Rain in Belize

gquest

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion of things to do if my cave tubing excursion gets canceled due to rain. Weather.com reports Shower (40%). I am a little worried at this point and wanted to have a plan B in place. Thanks

Bite your tongue! There's no historical evidence of it ever raining in Belize

<pouts>

Belize is my favorite port, and I hate the idea of it raining when I visit! lol

Shopping would be an option (Belize is one of my favorite places to shop. Particularly the flea market), as would scuba diving (if certified) and maybe even snorkeling... Assuming there isn't a lot of wind with the rain.

You could try a city tour, the zoo or even the mayan ruins near the city. I'd imagine rain or not the Mayan sites would be open.

LES!

It rained on us while we were caving tubing. As first we were concerned but then our guide reminded us that we were in a "RAIN" forrest and it rains A LOT in that region.

It was actually very neat. This light, cool rain while we were walking through a rain forrest. I was like something out of a movie. We had a great time!

We did the cave tubing last week and it POURED!! Most of the time you are in a cave so it doesnt matter. It was kind of cool though, you did feel like you were in a movie. I don't think they would cancel due to rain unless it was a monsoon. Don't worry about it

Les, you mentioned a flea market - could you give me some directions? My mom-in-law LOVES flea market shopping and we'll be there with NCL over Easter Week this year. Appreciate any tips!

Picklebritches

Your MIL and I would get along great! :D

The flea market is very easy to find. But not for the faint of heart. Once you're out of the "Tourism Village" you get bombarded by local tour operators. Once inside the flea market, they leave you alone.

The market is located just behind the Tourism Village. Walk out the glass doors (I believe they're at the back of Diamonds International, but I can't remember). It's not hard at all to see the doors from each little area of the village. Once you walk through the glass doors you'll be in a fenced in driveway area. There'll be armed guards standing by the entrance/exit gate. Go through the doors, through the tour operators and about 15 yards you'll see the market.

It's really small, but the people selling their wares are very friendly. And you can get the best deals on things there. Anything you see in the Tourism Village that you want, check the market outside first. You'll save as much as 50% off the Tourism Village prices. Which are already fairly cheap. The people in the market will also negotiate prices with you (which is a lot of fun with locals!). As long as you don't get intimidated by the pushy tour operators, you'll be fine. They don't touch you or anything (they do in Costa Maya and I HATED that) so it's perfectly safe.

If you're also adventurous, about 6 blocks or so from the Tourism Village, there's the world's only operational hand cranked swing bridge. It opens and closes once in the morning and again in the afternoon.

Ok, I'll stop. I can go on and on about Belize (which is becoming painfully obvious :eek: )

LES!

Les, you mentioned a flea market - could you give me some directions? My mom-in-law LOVES flea market shopping and we'll be there with NCL over Easter Week this year. Appreciate any tips!

Picklebritches

I also wanted to give you a much shorter answer. :o

Out the back doors of the Tourism Village, to your left about 15 yards and you're there. You'll see it when you step outside.

LES!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived