18 year old in teen club

Tropical09

Is there an official policy about 18 year olds who are happy to give up on their privileges.

Last year on Splendour from Venice there appeared to be little supervision of the teen club or indeed the disco. They did however insist on the curfew.

If my daughter is not allowed into the teenclub then the 15 and 17 year olds will hang out with her on deck, in the lobbies etc etc. Not the outcome that RC would want I am sure.

I'm not really seeing an issue here. Older teens don't really hang out in the club, and most activities that older teens do, are outside around the pool, flowrider, and sport deck.

I have an 18 year old, soon going to be a Marine, and a 15 year old. I understand most parents expect that when they allow their child to hang out, that they will be hanging out in a controlled environment, which means, that a kid's club is just that, for kid's.

Sure you have arguments about they are mixed in High School, and other areas, but with that being true, it is a different environment. Ships must be careful, because they want to make sure parents are comfortable with the rules, and if they break the rules, than the trust is also broken.

I tell my older kid, if he wants to be an adult, it must be full time, not just when it is convenient. Your are either an adult, or not and this country, and most countries, 18 is the age of maturity, with some countries, still at 16 I think.

It's not a question about debating, but reality. They are 18, and are restricted not only on the ship, but many other areas of their life now, and they are now legally responsible for their actions as an adult. This is much more than just two kids wanting to hang out, but about the responsibility that comes with crossing that magical line that gives you rights and privledges that you did not have and accepting that you are an adult.

The question I always have for those who are concerned about having 18 year old with 15 year olds is how is that any different than their high school? High schools have students ranging from 13 (early entry freshman) to 19 (late start/held back seniors.) They coexist peacefully and often to not have any more of an influence on each other than they would being together on a cruise.

15 and 18 -- not an issue. But RCI combines the 12 - 14 and the 15 -17 year old group on some ships/sailings. I know they did on Grandeur when we were on it.

So now we are talking about 12 year olds and 18 year olds. As the mother of a girl who just turned 11 tonight, yeah I can say that I would have a problem with that if RCI was allowing 18 year olds into her AO club next year. :eek: Ummm, yeah no!

Is there an official policy about 18 year olds who are happy to give up on their privileges.

Last year on Splendour from Venice there appeared to be little supervision of the teen club or indeed the disco. They did however insist on the curfew.

If my daughter is not allowed into the teenclub then the 15 and 17 year olds will hang out with her on deck, in the lobbies etc etc. Not the outcome that RC would want I am sure.

No, I don't think there is an official policy. I'm sure it varies from ship to ship. It really is about accommodating passengers. I would imagine that if allowing 18 year olds in the teen club created problems they would stop doing it.

Archived