Where to book excursions

5Pelicans

My husband and myself are taking our 3 teenagers on our first cruise FoS in March. We have been told to not book our excursions in advance with the cruise line, because there will be vendors waiting at port, and costs could be 25% less. Could you please advise us? Thank you.

Yes, there will be vendors on the piers, which can work out wonderfully, but I like to go to the Ports of Call boards here on CC to check out what other CCers suggest, and then I usually book my excursions through those private companies rather than the ship. They CAN be cheaper, but always have fewer people and are often more fun!! It is also very easy to get to a beach without the ship's excursions also.

Have fun planning!

And, get a guidebook on your ports...libraries have them, and so do bookstores!!!...and find out what each country you're visiting has to offer!

Don't just expect to waltz off the ship, and make the best use of your time. It does take a bit of research to make your shore time count!

Look at what shore excursions are offered by the cruise line to get an idea what there is to see and do in a port.

I agree with the other suggestions about doing some research. There are books on ports of call specifically written for cruisers and many have suggestions for tour operators.

yes, in some ports you can just flag a taxi down....in others you might want to pre-arrange things.

Archived