Box Lunch

gatorbill62

We are booked on a cruise tour this August in Alaska and Yukon.

Many of the tours, Whitehorse-Kluane NP, Dawson-Tombstone NP and Denali-TWT all say Box Lunch provided.

Does anyone know what comprises these lunch boxes? I have been on tours with a “Lunch Box Provided” and the box was more nutritious than the lunch.

Are they an apple, bottle of water and dried up sandwich?

If so, is there anywhere one can get something better? I have read on these boards where there is a Subway near Denali, how about Whitehorse and Dawson.

Over on the Alaska ports of call board there is a discussion of the box lunch. Most posters suggest that you plan to bring along some snacks of your own as well. Of course these were comments about last year's offerings, so who knows. For our family I am planning to advise that everyone pack some snacks, just in case.

The box lunch provided in the park was a bottle of water and a granola bar.

We took a cruise tour from Fairbanks to Seward and the was NO laundromat-a very big surprise. We bought underware in Anchorage to get us to the ship!

Had an awesome time!

I can't tell you about Whitehorse or Dawson, but there's lots of good places to eat at Denali. The Subway is one of the poorest choices IMO. Our box lunch on the Tundra Wilderness tour didn't have a sandwich as I recall, but it had crackers, a chunk of cheddar cheese, and a smoked sausage along with the apple and water. It's enough to hold you until you get back to "town".

We took a cruise tour from Fairbanks to Seward and the was NO laundromat-a very big surprise.
Our Chalet Canyon Lodge at the McKinley Chalet Resort at Denali had self service machines on our floor.
If you are taking a bus or train to Denali I doubt that you will be able to stop enroute to pick up a sandwich somewhere. You will need to buy sandwiches or snack food ahead of time.
Excellent food is sold on the train on the lower level of the each car. (Prices are typical AK: 50% more than FL.) On the bus from Denali to Seward we stopped for lunch at a nice restaurant in Wasila for a good buffet, "included" in the tour price.

Whitehorse is a large city by Yukon standards and you will have no problem finding something. Dawson is a lot more limited but the box lunch provided on the Tombstone tour was very good and was made that morning with your choice of sandwich. I forgot what all was in it but it was good and enough was there. They did have some snacks for sale on the bus.

The tour bus for Tombstone was owned and operated by Holland and the hotel in Dawson provided the meal, In Denali these are goverment contracted buses and the provided meals were from them.

For the trip in Denali I would suggest taking something along to add to it. Roly

All of the 'box lunches' on HAL tours are provided by the shore operators, as part of the package. We have found they varied from awful ( bottle of water & granola bar) to barely adequate ( apple, cellophane wrapped chunk of cheese, cellophane wrapped msall muffin & small plastic water bottle). sopme have the opportunity for passengers to buy additional items, some not. I would bring whatever items yhou can from the ship buffet in hyour pocket or pack, since NONE of the tour companies can be depended on. the ship excursion ofices have zero information as to what will be provided. the companies do not care about complaints since you will not be taking that tour again, and HAL also does not care as long as you get 'something'.

Stan

Archived