Tips or no tips?

AWCHIEF

I believe what they are trying to say is that as long as tips are handled in this manner, the cruise lines can still advertise "4 days starting at $299".

IF tips were added into the cost of the cruise...they should not advertise that.

However, IF the cruise lines treated the tips as what they truly are (a service surcharge)...then they could still advertise the low rates AND add it onto the bill at the time of booking like they didi the fuel surcharge.

But they truly are tips;)

Do the employees actually receive all the auto tips? I find it hard to believe that Carnival isn't taking something off the top. However I just returned from my first cruise and of course left mine and my families tips (even though our room steward sucked) All the staff on the ship work extremely hard and I sure hope they get all the tips they are entitled to.

Do the employees actually receive all the auto tips? I find it hard to believe that Carnival isn't taking something off the top. However I just returned from my first cruise and of course left mine and my families tips (even though our room steward sucked) All the staff on the ship work extremely hard and I sure hope they get all the tips they are entitled to.

yes, they get 100% of their tips.

Those who chose not to tip are boorish, arrogant and have a low sense of self-esteem...using money or withholding it - in efforts to "impress" the lowly serfs and servants that he IS a man.

There is no valid reason at all for NOT tipping at least the minimum...not on a Carnival ship or other reputable cruise line. None.

They generally feel they lack control over their lives, their environment, their job, their family, etc. and look to controling their 10.00 a day by

brow beating those who cannot talk back.

It's the cowards way....and can only be "cured" by years of therapy. It's not about tipping at all.....

He knows that CC members read his blog.... maybe HE likes to stir the pot !!!

Heaven forbid.....after all, he is the CCL God according to some !

Although the person who posted the comment used a well known CC user name no where in the comment did he identify himself as a CC member.

So why would John give a flying fig about CC in his response? If CC closed it's doors tomorrow it would not impact the cruise industry one iota... And probably make the internet a better place.

i usually never respond to the tipping issue, but i am compelled to say that we are platinium, and are going on our 32 cruise in april. we always tip. it's only common courtesy, after all a stranger is cleaning up after you, feeding you,cooking for you, and basically catering to your every need. your the prince or princess on the ship. the ship is the common nutralizer. everyone is treated the same, so why not tip. however if your not happy about the way your treated you can always go to the purser's desk and complaine, remember those guys in the kitchen and laundry who you never see, they get some of your tip too..

So how do they keep a list, if most don't adjust or remove the auto tips until the end of the cruise. Also, what happens when you have people that removed some/all of the tip but then hand some out in cash. How do they account for that and do those that receive cash tips let others know. For example if a family removed $60 from the autotip, but gave that money with/without additional money in tips to one or more people, would that person(s) keep that money. I haven't done this, just curious how it works.

We leave the auto tip in place and then also tip for the services we receive directly from our room stewards and the waite staff in the MDR. Any tipping to the maitre D' depends on the performance of his job. Last year on the Miracle, we had the pleasure of having Maitre D' Manuel. Each night in the MDR we saw him go to tables and speak to each guest. (We had last seating). We also saw him in the Lido buffet. He gave a tour of the galley and it was very informative. We were also entertained by a magician in the MDR. Of course we left him a nice tip for Manuel.

This last cruise, the only time the Maitre D' spoke to us was when he questioned us about the Chef's tour and the last night in the dining room. Guess what we did not give him.

Also, does the staff (room steward, waiter, etc.) know when you board that the tips have been automatically set up ahead of time?

So how do they keep a list, if most don't adjust or remove the auto tips until the end of the cruise. Also, what happens when you have people that removed some/all of the tip but then hand some out in cash. How do they account for that and do those that receive cash tips let others know. For example if a family removed $60 from the autotip, but gave that money with/without additional money in tips to one or more people, would that person(s) keep that money. I haven't done this, just curious how it works.

if one operson, the list has one name. those who wait till the end will be on long lines.

the person doing all that removing, and cash disbursments while on vacation has too much time on their hands.

My grandmother doesn't tip. Everywhere she goes we have to leave a tip for her. She also waits to pay her bill to see if one of us will do it for her. Why does this happen? For the same reason she gives my wife a candy bar and myself a box of nuts for Christmas every year. Even though she has more money than any of the rest of us she is cheap.

No, Carnival doesn't take a cut.

Your sorta new here but, I suppose if you do a search thingie, you'll find several posts from last year or so discussing this matter. The whole thing got quite testy.....

John Heald was involved too....so many had left a question on his blog.

All gratuities are distributed as shown on the website....

We did not tip the Maitr'de (sp?) on our last cruise, we got the envelope in our cabin, but I didn't even know who the Maitr'de was. As we went to dinner that night, I saw him (I assume) standing in front of the MDR, holding other envelopes. I felt guilty not handing him one, but I had never noticed him up to that point.

Question for you cruise experts, when tipping your waiters in MDR, do you tend to just give one big tip at your last dinner or small tips here and there. And what is a good tip to give for the whole week, considering I have paid the prepaid tips, I would hate to give an additional tip that would seem more like a salp in the face than a token of my appreciation.:confused: Also, do you typically just tip your head waiter or tip the assistant waiters as well?

There is a post on John's blog from someone claiming to be a Platinum level Carnival cruiser bragging about how they cancel all their tips and do not tip at all. What do the rest of you feel about this practice?

Really who cares what others do with tips. Carnival states it is not mandatory or required.

I can understand "newbies" who have booked through an internet site or through someone who did not thoroughly explain the other "costs" (ie tipping and parking at the port).

But for someone who knows that this is how these hardworking men and women receive the vast bulk of their SALARY and to knowingly deprive them of that salary is someone who is the infection in the puss that grows on the scum of the dirty residue in the toilet.

And I do have a tshirt that says.

Can't Afford To Tip

Stay Off Our Ship!

You must be so proud of that tshirt.

And I do not pay the people that work on the ship. Carnival pays them. I thank them with money if they have done a good job.

Those who chose not to tip are boorish' date=' arrogant and have a low sense of self-esteem...using money or withholding it - in efforts to "impress" the lowly serfs and servants that he IS a man.

There is no valid reason at all for NOT tipping at least the minimum...not on a Carnival ship or other reputable cruise line. None.

They generally feel they lack control over their lives, their environment, their job, their family, etc. and look to controling their 10.00 a day by

brow beating those who cannot talk back.

It's the cowards way....and can only be "cured" by years of therapy. It's not about tipping at all.....[/quote']

Oh Jesus.

We did not tip the Maitr'de (sp?) on our last cruise, we got the envelope in our cabin, but I didn't even know who the Maitr'de was. As we went to dinner that night, I saw him (I assume) standing in front of the MDR, holding other envelopes. I felt guilty not handing him one, but I had never noticed him up to that point.

Question for you cruise experts, when tipping your waiters in MDR, do you tend to just give one big tip at your last dinner or small tips here and there. And what is a good tip to give for the whole week, considering I have paid the prepaid tips, I would hate to give an additional tip that would seem more like a salp in the face than a token of my appreciation.:confused: Also, do you typically just tip your head waiter or tip the assistant waiters as well?

You felt guilty for not tipping a man you had never seen? You tip because others do?

And let's get this PAY thing straight. Yeah they are there for the tips. They receive a very small salary from Carnival which just happens to be equal or more than they would be making in their home country for unskilled labor. Plus they have room and board, basic medical care. The gravy comes in with the tips. Their job is not "hard" in the same way say a brick layers job is. They work a lot of hours, but so do I. My friend works a tug boat. He is a deck hand. He works 6hr on 6hr off (12 hours per day) for 30 days at a time then 15 off. He is working hard.

I will tip but I do not tip because I feel sorry for anyone or am guilty or because they are breathing and are assigned to me. I tip for service received only. You don't make my bed or forget what I order, tip is no long to be expected. I have had few problems with receiving service on a cruise, but it has happened and I will not hesitate for one min to remove that person's tips.

This is such a controversial topic I ALMOST hate to comment. We always prepay our tips and with one exception add personal tips to servers and room stewards. The first time we didn't hand something to the room steward was on our last minute cruise in October on the Fantasy, because we never met him/her. It was almost like the Phantom was our steward.

I don't care what others do. This is our personal policy. We also tip the baggage handlers, mainly because my Dad worked on the docks years ago and I remember what a tip meant to him.

This is exactly what we do, I did not tip a waiter once because he was a jerk, slow, condescending and even his assistant made herself scarce because he made sexual remarks to her.

I think tipping is very personal and everyone is going to have their own feelings on it.

I did read that post and I think the person was just blowing smoke to see who would get all up in arms about it. But reguardless, even if he does do this, my attitude is "sucks to be him" I certainly wouldn't want to have such a hard, stingy heart.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you give in life.

Cheers, Carole

Tipping is a personal decision. Why judge someone for something they choose to do? Everyone do what you feel is right to do :) I was a server for 4 years. You never know what type of situation another person may be in. <3

True, but to be fair - if they are in such a dire financial situation as to not be able to afford the $10 per day tip - then perhaps they should be waiting a little longer to save up an appropriate amount of money to cover the cost of the tips... And before I ever booked my first cruise I looked at the website and it is quite clear that tips are extra and added at $10 per person per day

Discusting that he is platinum and braggs about stiffing the crew.

We are platinum and have on occasion adjusted auto tips either up or down (generally up) but to be proud of what he is doing the fellow is a jerk.

Not to be creepy but you are my hero for a related thread "John & CC". This thread is related.

I am not saying Heald is actually making up these supposed CCers but he does seem to use CC as a punching bag while always saying how much

he loves and respects this site. Ya sure !

Don't get me wrong. I like John's blog but A) I don't believe the CCers who post are such and B) John seem to enjoy

making CC look like the home of every moron and jerk who has access to a computer.

Hi Jenale, we tip at the end of the cruise with extra if our waitstaff was awesome. We never tip the Maitr'de unless he's done a special service for us, which has never happened, I can't see tipping someone just because he shows up.

We have never adjusted our tips up or down but in the case of a really bad waiter we had (we ate at the supper club 3 times that cruise because our waiter was such a jerk) I would absolutely have removed his tips, except I felt really sorry for his assistant.

Do what you feel is right, but don't feel guilty for not tipping someone that hasn't done anything for you, if you feel he has then do what your heart and mind tell you.

Cheers, Carole

what list????

the list Fred noticed on his galley tour that had all the names of the pax who has removed auto tips...of course it was a list of names from the previous cruise...

IMHO..I think this list it put up in the Galley so the food staff can see which waiters lost their tips...possibly due to kitchen inefficiency:rolleyes:

Just sayin' because the pax from the last cruise have nothing to do with current pax...unless of course the same waiters..and their subsequent kitchen backup...keep on getting their tips pulled.

Archived