scuba excursion anyone?

beachpal

Has anyone tried the discover scuba excursion they offer on the 5 night cruise out of Baltimore? My husband and I are thinking about doing this but we have never scuba dived before. Any reviews? Thanks in advance.

We just returned from the Carribean where my DH & 2 sons did the discover scuba class. I am a certified diver, but took the class to be with them. We dove in St Thomas, with a PADI certified dive shop. This is important information! PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc are accrediting agencies that monitor & approve dive shops. An accredited shop ensures that the class will be taught in a safe, but enjoyable way. I would not recommend doing a "discover scuba" with a non accredited shop. I have seen people learning to dive on the beaches of cozumel with "Jose'" whom they have just met on the beach. IMHO, that is a dangerous thing to do.

Now for the fun part. My family loved the dive. The dive master spends time on the boat explaining the equipment & how to use it. Then you spend time in the water practicing clearing your mask, & regulator. Once the instructor feels that you have these basic skills down, you begin your descent. The instructor leads you on a wonderful exploration of the wreck or reef that you are diving on. You will be surprised at how fast the time goes by! It is truly an experience like no other.

Now that my family has been introduced to diving, they have already signed up to become certified divers, and will begin their classes next month. I think the class is a wonderful intro to diving, and I highly recommend it!

Thanks for the great information. According to the shore excursion description on RCCL's website, the excursion is PADI approved. It is still a long way off :( , but we think we will give it a try! Thanks again.

Archived