how "random" are upgrades?

being first time cruisers, just wondering if we had a snowballs chance in (you know where) of getting an upgrade at all. we booked a 6A GTY relatively early, if that makes any difference (first week of 11/04 for 5/22/05 sailing). I didn't know if prior cruisers had priority in getting visits from the "Upgrade Fairy".

thanks!

The first and only time I ever booked an oceanview guarantee, I did it about four months from sailing date and ended up with and 8C balcony. I was afraid to press our luck on the next cruise, so I booked a balcony guarantee.

We booked with a big agency which is one of Carnival's biggest bookers, and were assigned cabins shortly after Carnival changed to an early-assignment policy last summer. When I noted to our agent that we'd been assigned cabins more than 60 days in advance, he was surprised and called an acquaintance within Carnival to verify the cabin assignment (which was a good upgrade). He was told that part of the reason for the early cabin assignment that upgraded both category and deck was our booking through his big agency.

So, it helps to book with one of Carnival's major travel agents. But, as long as you book your guarantee into the lowest category in which you'd be happy, you really can't be disappointed. Even with no upgrade at all, you still get a price break in exchange for the flexibility your guarantee gives the cruise line.

My DH and I booked our first cruise through an online agency. It was for our honeymoon. We did not know about the gty catagory, so we chose a room on the Main deck (6B) since Riviera deck was sold out per the agency. When our docs came in the mail, we were upgraded to Cat 11!!! We actually called Carnival to make sure there was no mistake- the lady confirmed the new assignment!!! We could not believe it. We have taken several cruises and only one has not been upgraded due to last minute booking.

When we called Carnival about the upgrade, the lady said she could not just give us the info, but if we told her what the docs said, she could tell us if it was correct or not.

I booked my cruise for this August on the celebration last June. From what information I can find on the celebration, there is not much places to be upgraded to. I have a oceanview gty. Since there are no balcony rooms, that just leaves me a suite. What is the odds of that happening?

Well, when I decided about 6 weeks ago to take a cruise, I was so excited that I booked a 1A GT on Elation. At the time it sounded good but I really did not research rooms prior to booking. Keep in mind 1A are bunk beds. HHMMM, it would not be very comfortable since I am going with my signifcant other. Well, I did call back last week when I saw on the Carnival website that "Upgrade May be Available" . I called on my own and got into a 5A. 5A has a small porthole and twin beds that can be changed into one bed. I am very happy with the upgrade. I will at least be able to see the open water.

Now I have seen pictures of cabins with a balcony and would hope to go that route next time.

Do they everupgrade from a balcony to a suite?:cool:

Last year we booked an 8C and ended up in an 11 - from a balcony to a suite.

So - yes, it definately does happen.

This year however, the upgrade fairy did not visit us (so far) and we are still with an 8C. But I booked what I would be happy with..........anything better is a bonus.

Archived