Still Confused about ID's.

dcedar

I know this subject has been discussed a zillion times. I read Carnival's website and it confused me even more. Please don't post a quote from the website...it talks in circles:)

I have an Enhanced Drivers License. Is this enough? Will I need to bring any other ID at all?

I know this subject has been discussed a zillion times. I read Carnival's website and it confused me even more. Please don't post a quote from the website...it talks in circles:)

I have an Enhanced Drivers License. Is this enough? Will I need to bring any other ID at all?

I don't think I will be of any help to you, but what is an Enhanced Drivers License?

It will cost you no extra to carry along a certified copy of your birth certficate. I would suggest doing that, then there is no need to worry

It gets confusing, but if you are traveling from an American Port to and American Port by boat, you can get by with a DL. If something happens while you are gone and you would need to fly home, example a medical emergency or death at home, you cannot FLY across water to get back to America without a passport. Personally I would not leave to USA by boat without a passport, but that is up to you.

Have a Great Cruise!

Not sure if you mean as opposed to another PHOTO ID, or if you mean "not bring your birth certificate".

According to this: Enhanced Driver's License – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

You don't need anything else. But keep in mind, it won't work to fly. It's as effective as a driver license and birth certificate, not as effective as a passport.

I would also call Carnival, see if many people are using these. You don't want to get to the port without your Birth certificate and have a less-than-knowledgeable agent not know about it, and deny you boarding for lack of proof of citizeship...

You should be fine. I'm sorry to quote their website, but it specifically states that (see below). You might call Carnival also, but you typically will get different answers, so keep calling until you reach a majority of reps who seem to know the answer. Just kidding (sort of). ;)

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Passport Card

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)

Certificate of Naturalization

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

Enhanced Tribal Card

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

And it also meets the requirement for a govt' issued photo ID.

I think people are confused by what you're actually asking. The answer to your question is YES, you still need to bring other ID. Not just your drivers license, you need a birth certificate too. It has to be one issued by the Dept. of Vital Statistics because those usually (not in all cases, depending on state) have a raised seal. Anyway, you can't bring a photo copy or a hospital issued birth certificate as they aren't considered "official".

And as others have said, a passport is optimum. But if you don't have one, your drivers license and proper birth certificate will get you embarked and debarked.

Hope this answers your question.

- Sharon -

I think people are confused by what you're actually asking. The answer to your question is YES, you still need to bring other ID. Not just your drivers license, you need a birth certificate too. It has to be one issued by the Dept. of Vital Statistics because those usually (not in all cases, depending on state) have a raised seal. Anyway, you can't bring a photo copy or a hospital issued birth certificate as they aren't considered "official".

And as others have said, a passport is optimum. But if you don't have one, your drivers license and proper birth certificate will get you embarked and debarked.

- Sharon -

No... not according to the website. They only need to bring ONE WHTI compliant document.

Just like a passport, the EDL serves as BOTH your WHTI compliant document AND your photo ID.

Not confused at all.

- Sharon -

Actually, with an EDL, no other form of ID is required if crossing borders on land, or in the Caribbean by ship. It is an ID that is only in Washington, Vermont, NY & I believe, Maine. It works like a Passport Card. This ENHANCED license proves citizenship as much as a Passport Card does. It is indeed quoted as an acceptable form of proof of citizenship for the WHTI.

If you plan on using only your drivers license to travel thinking it is an EDL (Enhanced Drivers License), make sure that it actually is an EDL and not a secure ID. Many people are confusing EDL's with the new secured State identification standards that has been established by the Real ID Act of 2005, which establishes minimum standards that States must adopt for State issued driver’s licenses and identification cards. Like others have stated, only a few states have implemented offering EDL's.

I know for my state, just to renew my license this year, I have to bring in several types of documentation to proof I am who I say I am and that I live where I say I live. This is all just for a regular "secured" license, not an EDL.

Enhanced Drivers License (information as of April 26, 2010)

The only states that currently offer an enhanced drivers license (EDL) are: Michigan, New York, Washington, and Vermont.

States considering implementing an EDL include: Arizona, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Texas.

EDLs, not surprisingly, are popular with states bordering Canada and Mexico. An EDL serves as a driver license and as a pseudo passport. A driver in Vermont holding an EDL, for example, can cross into Canada without needing additional identification; if the driver carried a regular drivers license, he or she would need to produce a passport in order to cross.

You must apply with your state's DMV to obtain an EDL. The fee is higher than a regular driver license, but less than a passport.

Keep in mind that an EDL only works for ground travel by car, train, or boat. Air travelers flying into Mexico, Canada, or participating Caribbean countries must still provide passports.

Source: http://dmvanswers.com/questions/1839/Which-states-offer-an-enhanced-drivers-license-or-EDL

Other states have the EDL's like Utah and I think I read that California has some EDL licenses as well. Best to check with whatever state anyone lives in. Make sure your personal license is EDL even in states where it is fully rolled out as some got their license before the rollout and won't get it until they renew.

I don't like to beat a dead horse, but this comes up over and over when someone is denied boarding with the wrong combination of identification. There is a active thread right now by someone who is pissed because he thinks he has valid ID and Carnival said no. His full fare for he and his wife was lost.

I know there is a cost, but I have yet to see a thread about someone denied boarding that had a valid U.S. passport. It also might come in handy if you were forced to leave the ship for some reason in a foreign port.

Passport = "Don't leave home without it"

The best way to tell if you have an EDL or not: If "Enhanced Drivers License" appears on your license, you have an EDL. If not, you do not have an EDL.

Again, do not confuse EDL with the new standards due to the Real Act of 2005 that have been implemented in the past year. Just because you now have to present all those documents at the DMV to verify who you are and where you live, does not mean you will receive an EDL. You have to reside in a state that is issuing EDL's, and as of right now, there are only a few.

Before you ask, yes, I use to work for the DMV. Please do not hate me. :D

You should be fine. I'm sorry to quote their website, but it specifically states that (see below). You might call Carnival also, but you typically will get different answers, so keep calling until you reach a majority of reps who seem to know the answer. Just kidding (sort of). ;)

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Passport Card

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)

Certificate of Naturalization

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

Enhanced Tribal Card

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

And it also meets the requirement for a govt' issued photo ID.

I believe only Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington (and a few of the Canadian provences) issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses. I don't think Kentucky has them yet.

Well, the "rules" of the State Department is that the EDL is enough. However, many folks have been left at the pier because they didn't have a birth certificate.

Rather than risk being denied boarding, tuck the BC in with the rest of your travel documents.

If you read around online: Homeland Security/U.S. State dept websites, etc., you will find lots of information on this EDL

However, at the pier, you will be dealing with people....Customs and Immigration individuals, checkin personnel. Why take the chance. An original or state issued copy of your BC should be with you just in case they ask. Believe me, if you don't have what they ask for, you won't be cruising. Why risk denied boarding......

Archived