Family documents

Vettech30

The answers you are looking for can be found at http://travel.state.gov/travel.

Each country you visit has different rules for example children traveling to Mexico have follow these rules

Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or the nearest Mexican consulate for current information.

If in doubt, just get a notarized letter from the parent(s) that are not cruising. Most Credit Unions will notarize for free. Probably doesn't need to be notarized, but it never hurts.

Once my family went on a cruise (me, wife, 2 sons), along with my mom and my niece and nephew (my brother's kids). My brother and his wife were going through a divorce and we took their kids on a cruise to help them get away for awhile.

I just had my brother and his wife both sign a letter giving us permission to take their kids, as well as permission to authorize any medical attention or other legal matters.

I even wrote them the letter and sent it to them, they signed, notarized it at the credit union, and mailed it back.

Perhaps it was a bit excessive, but I am a bit anal, and it's a lot easier to go too far then to fly to Florida with 7 people only to find you can't go on the cruise.

There is!

Do not take the chance that since you slide by in the past that you will again in the future.

Bring your documentation. We bring our grandson on occasion..Never once questioned...until the last time...Fortunately, we had the court papers showing us as guardians....

NOT worth the risk! When you check in, with 2 or 3 hours till sailing, NEVER expect someone to waive a requirement and let you sail...Cover all bases!!!!!

Does anyone know how to get a definite answer from RCCL?

RCCL's response is irrelevant. It's not RCCL's rule. It's a legal issue, related to US laws and laws in other ports that are designed to prevent child abduction, including non-custodial parental kidnapping. It doesn't matter what RCCL's "definitive answer" is. You've already been provided the answer - any time a child is traveling with only one parent, you need the other parent's permission, or court documentation establishing your right to travel with the child. If you're not a parent, you need the parents' authorization. I mean, think about it, you're proposing to leave the country with a child, of course there's a concern about abduction. If RCCL were to tell you it's okay to not have the documentation, do not believe them.

Keri's Cruisin', I'm interested in knowing if you were on an Eastern or Western Caribbean cruise when you were not asked to show the divorce document. Just trying to see if the requirements might be stricter for Western ports; i.e., Mexico. Thanks!

Our cruise in November of 2008 was on Mariner of the Seas and it was the Eastern Caribbean-St Thomas, St Maarten and Coco Cay.

We are leaving again on March 14th to Key West, Nassau and Coco Cay. Will be sure to have all the "possibly needed" paperwork just in case.

If I read the words correctly in the 3rd para., the only situation requiring a notarized letter signed by the child's parent is when the accompanying adult is NOT the parent. The first 2 paragraphs talk only about providing documents that bridge a difference in name between the child and the parent. Those paragraphs do not refer at all to whether or not the child is accompanied by one or both parents.

So we are still not clear since RCCL does not have clear guidance on their website. We are grandparents who have reserved a cruise in Jan. 2012 for our extended family. Unless we get concrete guidance that we do not need the notarized letter from my daughter's ex husband, we will cancel the cruise and go on a land based Fla. vacation instead. It would be a hassle to get the notarized letter from her ex and it would not be worth the fight.

Does anyone know how to get a definite answer from RCCL?

This is the reply I got from RCCL when I asked the same question!

Dear Ms. Hubbard:

Thank you for your email.

A parent or legal guardian with proper legal documentation who is traveling with his or her minor child and the child's valid passport and visa or birth certificate (original, notarized or certified copy) will not be required to present a notarized letter from the other parent or legal guardian to board the ship. However, should the child's last name differ from that of the sailing parent's or legal guardian's, name-bridging documents must be presented. If name verification cannot be achieved due to lack of required documents, the child will not be allowed to board the vessel. Kindly also note that, while not required by Royal Caribbean International, some airlines (particularly on international flights) do mandate that a letter of permission from the non-traveling parent or legal guardian be submitted in order for the child to be allowed to travel via air.

Ms. Hubbard, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming your daughter onboard.

Sincerely,

Helen Urban

Customer Service Representative

there might be another way around it, but email me! I am working on it for my daughter. I will let you know if it worked.

earhub@yahoo

I'm traveling in April with my 3 daughters while my husband takes my son on a Father/son trip. When I booked the cruise, the TA told me that I would need a notarized letter from my husband saying that I had permission to take the girls out of the country. Thought it was strange as I had taken my youngest girl on a cruise to Europe last Spring and never heard of such a thing. Judging from RC response above, it's probably not needed. But, I plan to have the letter in hand, just in case. Would hate to get an over zealous or mis-informed boarding agent and be denied boarding ---and I doubt cruise insurance would cover that as a trip cancellation, lol!

RCCL gave you that response, however I am married to my children's father, and we all have the same last name, and I was asked for a notarized letter giving his permission for me to take them out of the country without him. We were cruising to the Eastern Caribbean, and it is the Bahamas (CocoCay) that has strict laws designed to deter child abductions to that country.

As another poster mentioned, RCCL's response is irrelevant because it isn't up to them. It is a requirement or law of customs and immigration, both of the US and of the countries you are visiting.

I'm a single parent and the only thing I bring with me (other than the passport) are certified copies of my children's birth certificates, since there last name is different than mine (maiden name). My drivers license has both my name and my old married name, which I use as back-up. I haven't been asked to provide any documents. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed myself now. :rolleyes:

You need to have the permission from the kids father. RCCL can deny your boarding and would not have to refund you...it's all about helping to prevent international kidnapping of children.

If there was an easy way that we could get my daughter's ex to provide a notarized letter we would definitely do that just to be safe. But that is not an option and we will have to cancel our family cruise if we definitely need that letter.

I have spent a lot of time searching all the official websites, State Dept., Customs, Immigration, and the Bahamas and Netherland Antilles (St. Martin) websites -- and can find absolutely no definitive words that say a parent traveling alone on a closed loop cruise ship, with a minor child has to have this notarized letter. And the RCI website, as well as their email response to "earlynurse" says that a notarized letter is NOT required (unless the child is accompanied by someone other than their parent). If anyone can provide a link to some official definitive words I would really appreciate it.

I don't understand why Royal Caribbean can deny boarding without a notarized letter from the absent parent if their website instructions and email responses from their company say it is NOT required. A person who does not read Cruise Critic or other forums would just follow RCI's instructions and not have a clue a notarized letter is required.

Sorry to belabor the point -- I agree with "its better to be safe than sorry" and if it was an option we'd just get the letter and be done with it, but that is not an option for us.

If it is her daughter then she needs to have the child's father sign a letter (Notrized) that she is allowed to go. Also covering medical just in case. If Decesed then take the proof of death with you to Nortary and fill out a paper showing that you can take child anywhere any time.

OK here is a silly question, after reading the posts im a bit concerned for our upcoming cruise in September. Both DH and I will be there with our DS but i kept my maiden name and he shares his daddy's name. We have a passport for him but would i need to bring something (copy or original bc) to prove that im the mommy since we have different last names?

Sorry if its a silly question :(

I have three sons from my first marriage that my current hubby and I have cruised with on several occasions. They have a different last name than mine and when we have cruised I do take both their birth certificates and mine. We have never had any trouble and have never been asked about their birth father. Their birth father did have to sign a notarized letter in order for me to get there passports but have never needed anything from him in order to cruise. We have been to several Caribbean ports (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau, Labadee, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Cococay as well as Ensenada Mexico). Copies of the birth certificates are usually made at the port for RCL's records and we are on our way. When we went on the Oasis was the first time we were asked for a copy of my marriage certificate but it was by a new employee and her supervisor said it was not needed that the birth certificates were sufficient. I would think as long as you are traveling with passports as your ID the only other documents you should need are to connect your last names together.

This is the reply I got from RCCL when I asked the same question!

Dear Ms. Hubbard:

Thank you for your email.

A parent or legal guardian with proper legal documentation who is traveling with his or her minor child and the child's valid passport and visa or birth certificate (original, notarized or certified copy) will not be required to present a notarized letter from the other parent or legal guardian to board the ship. However, should the child's last name differ from that of the sailing parent's or legal guardian's, name-bridging documents must be presented. If name verification cannot be achieved due to lack of required documents, the child will not be allowed to board the vessel. Kindly also note that, while not required by Royal Caribbean International, some airlines (particularly on international flights) do mandate that a letter of permission from the non-traveling parent or legal guardian be submitted in order for the child to be allowed to travel via air.

Ms. Hubbard, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming your daughter onboard.

Sincerely,

Helen Urban

Customer Service Representative

there might be another way around it, but email me! I am working on it for my daughter. I will let you know if it worked.

earhub@yahoo

I just received the same exact email word for word. It just took 3 days to get it. I will be printing this out and keeping it with my children's birth certificate, since there father is not in there lives at all. As long as they let us board, I'm happy. :)

I just received the same exact email word for word. It just took 3 days to get it. I will be printing this out and keeping it with my children's birth certificate, since there father is not in there lives at all. As long as they let us board, I'm happy. :)

Good to know but here is the glitch and why I bring my son's passport, birth certificate AND my divorce decree. Our last names do not match. I took back my maiden name when I got divorced. My married name is on my son's birth certificate. Divorce decree is only document I have that specifically states my married name was legally changed back to my maiden name. Better safe than sorry...I am lugging all 3 documents with me!

I've sailed 5x with RCCL and only on the last 2 cruises was I asked for any "documentation" for my daughters' father or to the fact that my daughters and I have a different last name. He's deceased and I use my maiden name.

On the Voyager last March, I was able to get them on because I'm military and my name is on their military dependant ID's (they didn't inquire as to the father's consent). But on the Explorer last August I didn't want to take any chances and brought along his death certificate. When I showed it to the check-in staffer when asked for documentation, she almost looked a bit guilty for asking.

As far as I'm concerned, we will be in compliance with the regulations and requirements without the notarized letter on the closed loop cruise to the Eastern Caribbean leaving from the U.S.

Unless I find official words to the contrary from US State Dept., Customs, Immigration or the islands we are visiting, I see no reason to believe that we will be denied boarding. Of course I will keep checking to make sure something doesn't change between now and our cruise.

As far as I'm concerned, we will be in compliance with the regulations and requirements without the notarized letter on the closed loop cruise to the Eastern Caribbean leaving from the U.S.

Unless I find official words to the contrary from US State Dept., Customs, Immigration or the islands we are visiting, I see no reason to believe that we will be denied boarding. Of course I will keep checking to make sure something doesn't change between now and our cruise.

I agree. I have my children's birth certificate showing my maiden name, which matches my passport, along with my driver's license showing my name hyphenated from when I was married. I never changed it just for this reason. I'm bringing a copy of the email, which will show I'm in compliance as well. There may be issues with other countries, but since the cruise we're go on is usually a closed loop cruise leaving & returning to the US, I don't see there being an issue.

Archived