Schedual and transportation quetion

mcathig

We are taking our first cruise to Bermuda this May. I have been lurking around trying to get a feel of what to do. My parents are not into beaches and swimming, they want to tour more. (My husband and I could lie on a beach all day)

My questions are 2 fold, does this schedule look ok and what busses/ transportation should I use?

Day one: Taxi tour 4-6 hours. See the sights: Gibbs Light house, Horseshoe beach, Hamilton and St George..lunch etc

Day two: AM Take the ferry (mom wants to take a ferry) to St. George then go see the Caves (how do I get from dock to the caves?) Lunch at Swizzle Inn

PM Go to Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (again transportation between Swizzle and BUEI and dockyard) perhaps explore the area if we want.

Day three: Boat is scheduled to leave at 5- Stay close and explore dockyard maybe go to the beach (walking no transportation)

I think this is doable (my parents are in their early 70’s and in good health)

Also for those who have experienced Bermuda are there any airplane sights (museums etc) Dad is into that J

Thanks!!!

Day one: Taxi tour 4-6 hours. See the sights: Gibbs Light house, Horseshoe beach, Hamilton and St George..lunch etc

This is doable. Do you plan on climbing Gibbs or is it a photo op? Do you just want to visit HSB or go there for swimming?

Day two: AM Take the ferry (mom wants to take a ferry) to St. George then go see the Caves (how do I get from dock to the caves?) Lunch at Swizzle Inn

The first ferry (Orange Route) to SG leaves the Dockyard at 9:15am, next one at 10:00am. When you leave the ferry in SG, turn left and find King's Square (town square). Walk away from the waterfront and King's Square until you come to Duke of York St. Turn left and walk about 2 blocks to the bus stop. Board an inbound bus (routes #1, #3 , #10, or #11) all go to the caves. Bus routes #1 & #3 go right by the caves; #10 & #11 drop you in front of SI and then a 5-7 minutes walk to the caves. FYI, there are no elevators in the caves. You walk down 88 cement steps (IIRC) to get into Fantasy Cave and it would be about the same for Crystal Cave. Do you plan to do anything in SG?

PM Go to Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (again transportation between Swizzle and BUEI and dockyard) perhaps explore the area if we want.

After lunch, board a route #1 or #3 inbound bus to get to the BUEI. The bus routes #10 & #11 inbound will take you to the Hamilton bus terminal leaving you a short bus ride or walk to BUEI. When leaving the BUEI, walk with the harbor on you left hand and you eventually come to the ferry terminal which is on Front St. The ferry route to the Dockyard is the Blue Route.

Day three: Boat is scheduled to leave at 5- Stay close and explore dockyard maybe go to the beach (walking no transportation)

The only beach you can walk to at the Dockyard is Snorkel Park which may charge an admission. SP is a man made beach; since you will already have seen HSB, you are in for a big disappointment. Suggestion - take the bus to HSB and enjoy a real Bermuda Beach

Suggestion #2, download and read the Bermuda Sightseeing & Activities guide - http://www.insightcruises.com/pdf/Bermuda/Sightseeing.pdf

Suggestion #3, buy transportation passes, good on bus & ferry.

SBtS

Thanks for your response!!! That guide is great..

As far as Day one goes... I would like to see an over view of the main points of the island, climb the light house, visit Horseshoe beach (walks some)

The next day I was looking at doing the caves and maybe St Catherine’s.... Walking the area some (main square etc) After the BUEI I had thought to do the same around Hamilton... also the Pink line on the ferry goes through the harbor I considered just riding it....

On the last day I agree about the beach...But my mother does not like to swim....

I would love sugestions/ideas of places to go.........

Archived