Thomas Cook Premium to Barbados (Azura)

Eclipse1

Dear All, Hello.

This is my first ever posting on the forum so please forgive me if this question has already been posted/answered elsewhere.

I'm booked on Azura in Feb'12 ex Barbados, flying from LGW on the 3rd February. My travel itinerary via the cruise personalizer on the P&O website is showing Thomas Cook as the airline - flight TCX321.

As I'm taking my Mum on this cruise I have opted to pay the extra for the Premium cabin. I'd like to know if anyone else has travelled with Thomas Cook in their Premium cabin as part of a P&O cruise and what they thought of it i.e. what was the service like, food, seating, entertainment, a/c etc.

This is my first cruise with P&O and as part of a flying package. I usually cruise ex Southampton on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

I've heard good things about P&O and I can't wait to sail on Azura, but mixed reports re Thomas Cook. Any information would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance. :)

We have just returned on a thomas cook flight and we didnt purchase premier seats. We purchased (for £50 for both of us return) very good seats. The first set of two together towards the back of the plane. Loads and loads of leg room. My hubby is 6ft tall and was very comfy on the long flight back from Acapulco. All the drinks are very and we had plenty, as did everyone else. !!!!

Thanks for your prompt reply - nice to hear from someone that enjoyed the flight with Thomas Cook. I guess you can read too much into trip reports etc on forums.

Thank you & glad to hear that you had a good experience. Fingers crossed! :)

we flew back from barbados to manchester on thomas cook after our cruise on azura, we paid extra for the seats at the back just for two people there are about 6 rows of twos plenty of leg room and window seats. we were very happy that we had chosen them, drink service and meals were just ok. have a great holiday.

Thanks Asda - glad you had a good flight. I'll keep an eye out for the good seats once the flight booker opens nearer the time.

Hope you enjoyed Azura? Looking forward to sailing on her next year.

Thank you. :)

Premium seats on Thomas Cook are all at the front of the aircraft, we are flying out in 2 weeks to Barbados then onto Azura, I will let you know how we get on, not used Thomas Cook before usually fly BA or Virgin.

Got back from Azura on Sunday - 1st Thomas Cook flight and 1st P&O cruise. Really impressed with Thomas Cook only flew economy from Gatwick but pre-booked our seats so we were all sat together - food and drinks and entertainment all free.

Happy to answer any questions on 1st time on Azura if you have any.

Hi Clare, thanks for the info. Glad Thomas Cook flights were enjoyable & you enjoyed Azura. She looks an amazing ship and I'm really looking forward to sailing on her next year. I've already started a countdown.......

Thanks again.

Having been on RCI, and Celebrity myself the only thing that might disappoint you about Azura are the bathrooms....small shower with curtain rather than doors.....other than that I'm sure you will love it!!

The P and O charter flights to Barbados always seem to get good reviews, although we flew with Thomson we had free drinks and food and there was loads of room in Economy we were very comfortable....i would save the cost of the Premium seats and do some shopping!!!!!!

Hi there - thanks for your reply & the info re the shower.......no doubt it will feel even smaller towards the end of the cruise, after 14 nights of 'cruise' food!!

I love Celebrity (especially Eclipse) but choose P&O for the itinerary and the chance to sail on Azura.

Glad you had good flights with Thomson. Most people on here seem to rate both Thomson & Thomas Cook quite high so fingers crossed.

I booked Premium as I'm taking my Mum and didn't want her cramped or too tired etc. I still find room for shopping though......

Thanks again, I really appreciate your reply.

Shaun

Seats are in 2x3x2 configuration. It is extra to book sepcific seats and that does not guaranttee that you will get the seats you book, although you will get a refund of the booking fee. This happened to me on returning from Azura in January. The seats to avoid are those in row 7, the last row of premium, as they do not recline as much as the other 6 rows.

Personally, I find the Thompson seats more comfortable as they seem to have a bit more legroom. Having said that, there was plenty for me on the TC flight and I'm 6'2".

Service is good and the advantage at being at the front of the plane is that it is much quieter than in the main part of the plane (less engine noise). If you aren't having an alcoholic drink, some of the soft drinks are small - just mixer size - but they will usually give you two if you ask.

Hi cruiser1955, thanks for that - really helpful. I'd have preferred Thomson as friends have flown with them and always reported good things, but fingers crossed TCX will be just as good. I decided on Premium for the extra legroom for my Mum and a nice relaxing flight. Thanks re the seat advice, I'll try to pre-assign as soon as the flight booker opens.

I know it's a year away but I'm already looking forward to it......

Thanks again. Cheers. Shaun

We have twice done the Caribbean to Bridgetown flight over the past two years, 2nd time flew with Tommy cook ***** there A330. Very good flight staff excellent and good all round service, last year we flew with Thomson on there ex First Choice 767 while yes it was a a lot better for space and comfort 2x3x2 as Thomas Cook is 3x3x3 the plane it self was worn ad quite dirty. On the way back they had run out of drinks only tea and water for 9 hours, the staff didn't seem to care. I think for next time we will try and book for the Thomas cook flight. Also word of warning at Manchester they were hot on baggage weight, even being slight over your were stung, most people on the Thomson flight had to pay extra including us, was a complete scam.

Hi there - thanks for the info. I'm hoping Thomas Cook will live up to my expectations.

As long as they get us there on time & safely - anything else is a bonus.

I've heard that the baggage rules are fierce - 23kg for a two week cruise seems restrictive. Guess we'll have to be ruthless and use the launderette onboard if necessary. Hand baggage at 5kg is bizarre, most bags weigh 1 kg before you even start. I'll have to stuff my jacket pockets with various items.

Thanks again.

I will be on the same Gatwick flight as you! Can't believe I am so excited about this when it's such a long time to wait. Cruise with P&O about 10 years ago, but since then mostly RCCL and Princess. Looking forward to seeing how it's evolved over the decade. Love big ships so this doesn't bother me.

Do you know when you can start to pre-book the seats as I would definitely like to do this. Any advice greatly appreciated.

You should be able to book seats around 12 weeks before departure. There will be an option on the flights screen in cruise personaliser when it is available. When it was introduced last September there were a few teething problems, so it may pay to check every now and again to see if it is available. It is very straightforward to use.

Hi English Rose.....small world! We'll have to look out for each other at LGW.

I know what you mean about being excited - roll on Feb'12.... ha ha.

Like cruiser1955 says the flight booker tool should go live approx 12 weeks before departure and 17 weeks before departure the website says that the flight details will be confirmed. Knowing me I'll be checking hourly & daily :-)

Like you my Mum and I love big ships so we're looking forward to Azura & exploring - plus the itinerary of course.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely be looking every hour too! I think it will be fun on the plane as everyone is doing the same thing so conversation should be very easy. I am actually visiting the Ventura in April. P&O asked me if I would like to come for a visit and a free lunch with my family. So Good Friday a local trip to Southampton is in store. I have no idea why, but I am very grateful. At least I can see what the sort of ship Azura is and will get my taste buds going nicely!

I agree, everyone onboard the flight will all be P&O'ers and excited etc.

Should make for a fun flight.

Have a great time on Ventura, that sounds lovely - enjoy every moment & do a reccy whilst onboard ready for Azura. Have a great time.

We came back from the Ventura Trans Atlantic to Gatwick in the 'upgraded seats' in 2009

I have to say the legroom was disappointing, also, in spite of booking about 9 months early we were not allocated seats together (tried on board to complain, but told we had booked 'too late')

As for the drinks service, I asked the attendant for a Scotch and a beer (Great Scottish combination!) and she looked at me as if I had horns! 'YOU CAN ONLY ORDER 1 DRINK AT A TIME' , she told me.

If I had the choice, I would not rush to pay the extra again.

Hi there - thanks for the info. Doesn't sound too promising......

I think I'll travel with low expectations of the flight - that way (hopefully) I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks.

Archived