NCL Dawn limping from port to port

bigtree01

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

Here is our statement on Norwegian Dawn.

Norwegian Dawn experienced technical difficulties with one of the ship’s engines on Friday, February 11. As a result, the ship traveled at a reduced speed while the issue was being repaired which in no way impacted the safe operation of the vessel.

Based on this reduced speed, changes were made to the itinerary that included cancelling the call to Samana, Dominican Republic on Sunday, February 13 and replacing Barbados and St. Kitts with St. Maarten and St. Thomas on Wednesday, February 16 and Thursday, February 17.

Guests on board received a $200 per stateroom on-board credit and a 10% future cruise credit. We appreciate their understanding regarding this necessary itinerary change.

The repairs were completed on Wednesday, February 16, so, therefore, all future cruises for Norwegian Dawn will sail as scheduled.

I mentioned this on another thread, but so many comments have been made on this board about whether NCL ever reads these threads. Quite honestly, I haven't read any company responses to issues on other cruiseline boards, so I am quite encouraged and pleased that NCL takes our dialogue here seriously enough to respond!:D Good on ya NCL!;)

This makes me so nervous...does anyone know if the engines will be repaired soon? I'm sailing the Dawn on 3/20 for my honeymoon and I do not know what I would do if they cancelled! Between work, family, and wedding planning, I do not have time to reschedule our trip :(

IMO, I think NCL should definitely have notified customers if they knew they were having issues 2 days before the cruise, so people could have the choice to cancel/reschedule/sail. For some, having their trip changed like that is a very big deal, and no amount of OBC can make up for it, but for others its not so bad. I personally would have thought we hit the jackpot with the OBC and hit up the bar and spa :)

I would definitely not want them to cancel unless there was an issue that could put my life at risk. A change in itinerary is not going to kill me or hamper my good time, but cancelling so last minute would be devastating. With tight work schedules, family etc, some of us only get 1 or 2 weeks off and don't have that kind of flexibility.

In the end, NCL is made up of people just like us, and people make mistakes. I think they hate having to cancel and reschedule ports just as much as we hate having them cancelled. I can imagine the headaches that go along with rescheduling ports, answering customer complaints, and then just the simple embarassment of it all.

They might have thought if they worked really hard on the engine everything would be fine, but they still should have given their customers a heads up.

Live and learn, and then give OBC!

The engine #2 has been repaired, so were back to 3 out of 4 and making 18 knots. Hopefully this will allow you to make all of your originally planned ports. Good luck!

It's a little more complicated than that; people can and do sue despite having signed away their right to do so, and sometimes they're even successful. But accepting compensation for damages adds another obstacle to, and may effectively terminate, the ability to sue.

That's a major reason companies rush to make some sort of compensation. For instance, Gulf Coast residents and companies who accepted BP's immediate offer after the oil spill found, to their chagrin, that it prevented them from suing for real damages.

The one thing that NCL has going against it in this particular instance is that they knew they only had 2 engines before they departed Miami. Repair crew or no, was there a reasonable expectation that they were going to be able to deliver the 9-day Southern Caribbean cruise they were selling? That's a pretty big question.

Also to those who earlier complained of stabilizers out, well we agree. Breakfast was with a retired navy man who said this rocking was totally unacceptable for the calm sea conditions. No one is very happy on board today, tired and much sea sickness.

I dont know where this report of the stabilizers keeps coming from, there has never been any official notice of that. This topic has been discussed over and over. We sailed on the Jan 28th sailing and was waiting for her to start rocking and rolling but nothing, Halos and Dr Jack were on the same sailing and can attest to the fact that the stabilizers are just fine.

My DH is not a "sailing" man so if anyone was going to feel it, it would have been him and he said he felt nothing. Infact this is the first cruise I've been on where it didnt take me a few days to get my land legs back

It's a little more complicated than that; people can and do sue despite having signed away their right to do so, and sometimes they're even successful. But accepting compensation for damages adds another obstacle to, and may effectively terminate, the ability to sue.

That's a major reason companies rush to make some sort of compensation. For instance, Gulf Coast residents and companies who accepted BP's immediate offer after the oil spill found, to their chagrin, that it prevented them from suing for real damages.

Good point. There is the little caviat that NCL knew before departure.

I dont know where this report of the stabilizers keeps coming from, there has never been any official notice of that. This topic has been discussed over and over. We sailed on the Jan 28th sailing and was waiting for her to start rocking and rolling but nothing, Halos and Dr Jack were on the same sailing and can attest to the fact that the stabilizers are just fine.

My DH is not a "sailing" man so if anyone was going to feel it, it would have been him and he said he felt nothing. Infact this is the first cruise I've been on where it didnt take me a few days to get my land legs back

I want to just validate that statement.

Because of things we had read on here prior to sailing, I think all of us were expecting a ship full of leaks that was bouncing all over the place and crawling through the seas.

We experienced nothing like that at all.

There was very little time during our cruise that it even felt like we were moving at all despite the fact that we were traveling in excess of 20 knots most of the time.

Are we THAT lucky??

Seriously doubt it...I just think other people exaggerate WAY too much.

We all heard what happened to that Carnival Cruise that lost all power and the ship was basically dead in the water! These poor passengers had no electricity, little to no water and only little food. Now, that's something to be upset about. Doesn't anyone follow the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" theme anymore. The Dawn's passengers were all taken care of and basically went on with "ship life as usual". They even got onboard credits. Missing ports may be disappointing but nothing to get angry about!

I am refusing to accept the $200 on board credit offered, and will not be taking them up on the 10 percent off on a future cruise taken within one year.

I hope you aren't planning to ever cruise on any other line, ever again...because this can happen at any time on any line.

Refusing $200 obc??

How the heck can you even DO that?

:confused:

Not sure how one goes about that to be honest.

Because of things we had read on here prior to sailing, I think all of us were expecting a ship full of leaks that was bouncing all over the place and crawling through the seas.

There was very little time during our cruise that it even felt like we were moving at all despite the fact that we were traveling in excess of 20 knots most of the time.

Are we THAT lucky??

See you have a better way of saying things then I do....:D

2 years ago on the Explorer on the trip before ours they hit a reef and bent the prop. When we got to the port there was a letter that we would not be going to Puerto Rico unless the divers (in the murky waters of Bayonne NJ in the winter) had enough visibility to fix the issue. So they cancelled PR and that was the only port I really had my heart set on because I wanted the Valentines Day sale at Coach. They knew a few days ago that we weren't going to PR but they didn't notify us until we got to port. We got some obc and still had a great time. The contract says that they can alter their itinerary and sometimes ship happens and you just have to make the best of it.

Are we THAT lucky??

I believe that the question about the stabilizers was asked of the Captain at the Meet & Greet and his answer was No problem with the stabilizers.He did say 1 engine was down at that time. It also was the smoothest sailing I've had to date and we were on the stern and would have felt it if it was rocking.

If a change of ports or being early or late to arrive or depart is a deal breaker, cruising may not be for you. These things happen all the time. The cruise lines do not try to intentionally irritate the passengers. Vacation flights are cancelled and trains run late and disrupt peoples plans and most of us accept it. If the airlines made up for missed vacation trips the way NCL does, we would all be happy. Miss you flight for any reason and all you'll get from the airline is a Happy Meal and I'm sorry. Every day, somewhere in the world, a ship is changing it's schedule. If your not prepared for this, you should find another kind of vacation. None of us likes to be disappointed, but it come with the business.

2 years ago on the Explorer on the trip before ours they hit a reef and bent the prop. When we got to the port there was a letter that we would not be going to Puerto Rico unless the divers (in the murky waters of Bayonne NJ in the winter) had enough visibility to fix the issue. So they cancelled PR and that was the only port I really had my heart set on because I wanted the Valentines Day sale at Coach. They knew a few days ago that we weren't going to PR but they didn't notify us until we got to port. We got some obc and still had a great time. The contract says that they can alter their itinerary and sometimes ship happens and you just have to make the best of it.

Some people just delight in the possibility to litigate every little mishap/ even if they know full well that there are no guarantees, as you state "ship happens"

...they let the cruise pass them by and not enjoy the good, and just wollow in misery.

I am on the Dawn the 25th, knowing full well there is engine trouble, heck even a small fire last night, the cruise has not been cancelled, so We will go, enjoy, no matter where/which ports we make, and enjoy time with my kids in the sun....and if "ship happens" NCL seems to offer OBC, the next round is on me...

Would you be happy if you purchased a plane ticket from LA to New York and were dropped off in Denver with a 200 dollar reinbusment on a $3000 ticket? Probably not.

I am refusing to accept the $200 on board credit offered, and will not be taking them up on the 10 percent off on a future cruise taken within one year.

Please ask NCL to move that OBC to my stateroom for our upcoming cruise!!! Boy, forcing them to keep their $200 is really going to teach them a lesson.:D

Some people just delight in the possibility to litigate every little mishap/ even if they know full well that there are no guarantees, as you state "ship happens"

...they let the cruise pass them by and not enjoy the good, and just wollow in misery.

I am on the Dawn the 25th, knowing full well there is engine trouble, heck even a small fire last night, the cruise has not been cancelled, so We will go, enjoy, no matter where/which ports we make, and enjoy time with my kids in the sun....and if "ship happens" NCL seems to offer OBC, the next round is on me...

I think I'd like to cruise with you! :)

;)Can't wait for the cruise... Will be very nice to meet you. Take care see you at the meet and greet.

Will be nice to get out of this -20 weather in Alberta....

;)Can't wait for the cruise... Will be very nice to meet you. Take care see you at the meet and greet.

Will be nice to get out of this -20 weather in Alberta....

-20 ouch!!

+2 today in eastern Canada

shovelled off the snow to the street so it can melt,

Yeah, ain't winter in Canada fun! :rolleyes:

...JUST A FEW MORE DAYS NOW....

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

Here is our statement on Norwegian Dawn.

Based on this reduced speed, changes were made to the itinerary that included cancelling the call to Samana, Dominican Republic on Sunday, February 13 and replacing Barbados and St. Kitts with St. Maarten and St. Thomas on Wednesday, February 16 and Thursday, February 17.

Guests on board received a $200 per stateroom on-board credit and a 10% future cruise credit. We appreciate their understanding regarding this necessary itinerary change.

Unless I made non-refundable plans at the missed ports, I wouldn't be all that upset over this if these were the only changes.

Samana - wouldn't get off the ship anyway.

Barbados/St Kitts v. St Maarten/St Thomas - po-tate-o, po-tat-o.

Actually if anything I think St Maarten/St Thomas are a step up.

I'd gladly take the $200/obc for these changes. Now if the ship was limping or drifting with no stops for 7 days, or if they ran out of pretzel rolls mid cruise....might get a bit more riled up about that.

or if they ran out of pretzel rolls mid cruise....might get a bit more riled up about that.

Good Lord, that's cause for mutiny!!!! :eek:

:D:D

What's this about the Pretzel rolls I keep reading about?

Where are they, what makes them so special?

They're just very yummy. :)

The "freestyle" attitude may be getting out of control with respect to dinner attire. One day my husband showed up to one of the main dining rooms in a sweaty t-shirt, flip flops and bathing trunks and asked to be seated. The host said, "Of course sir, right this way." My husband said "You mean you would actually seat me in the dining room with me dressed this way?!!" He was told, "Well, we don't like to tell people how to dress." .

So did he sit?

That's as bad as the people that say they sit outside the naughty room to watch the people have to go claim their allegedly contraband filled luggage.

So many things to do on a cruise ship and this is what they find "entertaining". Go figure.:rolleyes:

I plan to bring a 40 oz bottle of vodka on my next cruise... but I plan to empty it before leaving home, and to refill it with mouth-wash coloured water.

Is that naughty?

@ McCurler: You can be sure they knew they were going to deliver a 9 day cruise experience. And, I believe they're doing that, aren't they?

@BigTree1: Have a look at that ticket contract again....there's another little part which says you can't sue NCL. You have to enter binding arbitration....in Miami.

Step 4 of the Online Checkin at NCL.com says:

Important Notice for all Guests

The passengers’ attention is specifically directed to Paragraphs 10 & 14 of the Terms and Conditions of the Guest Contract. These paragraphs and all of the other Terms and Conditions of this Contract affect important legal rights, and the passenger is advised to read them.

10. Limitations on Actions:

(a) Suits for Injury or Death:

The Guest agrees that no suit, whether brought in rem or in personam, shall be maintained against the Carrier for emotional or physical injury, illness or death of Guest unless written notice of the claim, including a complete factual account of the basis of such claim, is delivered to the Carrier within 185 calendar days from the date of the incident giving rise to such injury, illness or death; and no suit shall be maintainable unless commenced with one (1) year from the day of the incident giving rise to such injury, illness or death, notwithstanding any provision of law of any state or country to the contrary.

(b) Other Suits:

Any and all disputes, claims, or controversies whatsoever, other than for personal injury, illness or death of a Guest, whether brought in personam or in rem or based on contract, tort, statutory, constitutional or other legal rights, including but not limited to alleged violation of civil rights, discrimination, consumer or privacy laws, or for any losses, damages or expenses, relating to or in any way arising out of or connected with this Contract or Guest's cruise, no matter how described, pleaded or styled, between the Guest and Carrier, with the sole exception of claims brought and litigated in small claims court, shall be referred to and resolved exclusively by binding arbitration pursuant to the United Nations Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (New York 1958), 21 U.S.T. 2517, 330 U.N.T.S. 3, 1970 U.S.T. LEXIS 115, 9 U.S.C. §§ 202-208 ("the Convention") and the Federal Arbitration Act, 9 U.S.C. §§ 1, et seq., ("FAA") solely in Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S.A. to the exclusion of any other forum. Guest hereby consents to jurisdiction and waives any venue or other objection that may be available to any such arbitration proceeding in Miami-Dade, Florida. The arbitration shall be administered by the American Arbitration Association under its Commercial Dispute Resolution Rules and Procedures which are deemed to be incorporated herein by reference. If you have a question about the arbitration administrators mentioned above, you can contact them as follows: American Arbitration Association, Bank of America Tower, 100 Southeast 2nd Street, Suite 2300, Miami, Florida 33131; (305) 358-7777. NEITHER PARTY WILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO A JURY TRIAL OR TO ENGAGE IN PRE-ARBITRATION DISCOVERY EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN THE APPLICABLE ARBITRATION RULES AND HEREIN, OR OTHERWISE TO LITIGATE THE CLAIM IN ANY COURT (OTHER THAN SMALL CLAIMS COURT). THE ARBITRATOR'S DECISION WILL BE FINAL AND BINDING. OTHER RIGHTS THAT GUEST OR CARRIER WOULD HAVE IN COURT ALSO MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ARBITRATION. An award rendered by an arbitrator may be entered in any court having jurisdiction under the Convention or FAA. Carrier and Guest further agree to permit the taking of a deposition under oath of the Guest asserting the claim, or for whose benefit the claim is asserted, in any such arbitration. In the event this provision is deemed unenforceable by an arbitrator or court of competent jurisdiction for any reason, then and only then the provisions of Section 14 below governing venue and jurisdiction shall exclusively apply to any lawsuit involving claims described in this Section. In any event, no claim described in this Section may be brought against Carrier unless written notice giving full particulars of the claim is delivered to the Carrier within thirty (30) days of termination of the Cruise and legal action on such claim is commenced within six (6) months from the date the claim arose, notwithstanding any provision of law of any state or country to the contrary.

© Guest Waives Right to Class Action Relief:

THIS CONTRACT PROVIDES FOR THE EXCLUSIVE RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES THROUGH INDIVIDUAL LEGAL ACTION ON GUEST'S OWN BEHALF INSTEAD OF THROUGH ANY CLASS ACTION. EVEN IF THE APPLICABLE LAW PROVIDES OTHERWISE, GUEST AGREES THAT ANY ARBITRATION OR LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER WHATSOEVER SHALL BE LITIGATED BY GUEST INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS A MEMBER OF ANY CLASS OR AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION, AND GUEST EXPRESSLY AGREES TO WAIVE ANY LAW ENTITLING GUEST TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. IF GUEST'S CLAIM IS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION UNDER SECTION 10(b) ABOVE, THE ARBITRATOR SHALL HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO ARBITRATE CLAIMS ON A CLASS ACTION BASIS. GUEST AGREES THAT THIS SECTION SHALL NOT BE SEVERABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FROM THE ARBITRATION CLAUSE SET FORTH IN SECTION 10(b) ABOVE, AND IF FOR ANY REASON THIS CLASS ACTION WAIVER IS UNENFORCEABLE AS TO ANY PARTICULAR CLAIM, THEN AND ONLY THEN SUCH CLAIM SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION.

Archived