NCL Dawn limping from port to port

bigtree01

I do think the lines should come up with some sort of universal compensation though...because each time this happens, passengers receive different compensation...ranging from $25 port fee credit to discounts on future cruises (sometimes 10%, sometimes more)

I think if they just had some sort of formula to come up with a standard compensation package, it would be easier for people to swallow. As it stands now, it's random, so people think they deserve more.

I'm sure they have a standard procedure BUT it changes so frequently when dealing with the politics of each island... A lot of the time, its about contracts and paying in advance and all of that junk... For all we know, Samana could be free to port at and St. Thomas and St. Martin are drastically higher. SO they could have actually lost a ton of money on port fees. Sounds stupid BUT is politics...

I'm sure they have a standard procedure BUT it changes so frequently when dealing with the politics of each island... A lot of the time, its about contracts and paying in advance and all of that junk... For all we know, Samana could be free to port at and St. Thomas and St. Martin are drastically higher. SO they could have actually lost a ton of money on port fees. Sounds stupid BUT is politics...

I understand that each island has different port fees...but if the 'formula' were to refund exact port fees plus whatever else they come up with, and keep that standard instead of fluid, then at least it would be a formula and people would know what to expect.

I understand that each island has different port fees...but if the 'formula' were to refund exact port fees plus whatever else they come up with, and keep that standard instead of fluid, then at least it would be a formula and people would know what to expect.

I think it may change too much for them to even know on a week-to-week basis.

I do (I think we all do) understand how disappointed you are but again (and again) you have to know what you are buying. You say you didn't get what you paid for...that's because you don't understand what you bought.

NCL, CCL, RCI...doesn't matter. What you purchase is a CRUISE. Ports are never guaranteed...never promised.

You still got that cruise.

THAT is the reality.

Wishing will not change this reality.

I know how fabulous that itinerary was that you booked and I would have been disappointed as well. I do feel for you, but your purchase was your stay on the ship, your meals and your entertainment.

That is what you are paying for when you purchase a cruise.

Until everyone gets this, there will always be people who think they deserve more compensation.

I do think the lines should come up with some sort of universal compensation though...because each time this happens, passengers receive different compensation...ranging from $25 port fee credit to discounts on future cruises (sometimes 10%, sometimes more)

I think if they just had some sort of formula to come up with a standard compensation package, it would be easier for people to swallow. As it stands now, it's random, so people think they deserve more.

So put this to the extreme. In your reasoning if the ship never leaves te port and stays there for the total cruise thet would be ok for you as that is what you bought???

Of course cruiselines will not go that far even they could based on the terms and conditions and it is clear that this particular cruise was not as advertised and the consequences not handled in the best manner.

Doing business is not hide behind a unilateral clause but settle it in a reasonable manner. Clearly based on the many responses on this thread it is clear that the compensation offered is not in line with the excpectations of a group of the passengers.

I went and asked the cruise person who was doing the bookings and promotions, it is good for a year, cruise must be taken with in that time

That's how they work the Cruise Rewards program as well...cruise must be taken within four years.

That information should have been included on the letters given out.

Thanks for clarifying that Trudy.

Toni

To me it seems like the issue with the Dawn problems is the same issue I had back in August, when the other engine blew. All I want is the truth and I want it immediately so I can prepare and plan. In my instance the people at the information desk at the port, told me that they knew early in the morning, of the first of our scheduled three day stop, that we would be leaving a day early. Yet, the Captain didn't tell us until dinner time that night. Now, perhaps the Captain was waiting, and hoping there would be some miracle and that the engine could be repaired, so he held of telling us for the day. But, if that was the case then that is exactly what we should have been told in the morning.

I do not blame the Captain, as I feel that the the corporate policy is to never apologize, give as a little information as possible, and wait as long as possible to give it. Then allow the Captain to put all decisions on the "Miami Office", so they can successfully deflect any questions or criticism.

It seems to be there have been 2 types of reactions by the folks that sailed on this cruise. Although everyone expressed disappointment (and rightfully so), some expressed it through histrionics proclaiming that they were wronged, stolen from and suffered terribly. Others expressed it maturely and matter of factly and they also seem to have had an enjoyable cruise. I am quite sure that the folks that will get the most satisfaction from NCL are the ones who take the time to calmly and honestly relate their experience and dissatisfaction to NCL.

The only time I had a situation that I felt required rectification was on my first NCL cruise. I sent a sensible letter to corporate and I was very pleased with their response. I have been happily sailing NCL ever since. If you aren't happy with the compensation you were given onboard, I respectfully suggest that instead of spending your time & energy bashing NCL here, you should put those efforts into reasonably dealing with corporate.

Now, for those of us scheduled for the Dawn between now & drydock, let's get back to our pre-cruise excitement!!

. Clearly based on the many responses on this thread it is clear that the compensation offered is not in line with the excpectations of a group of the passengers.

My point is this.

You all can be 'clear' about how the compensation isn't good enough for you. What I am trying to get through is that this is exactly what all cruise lines do all the time (give or take a little)

SO...you can feel cheated all you want, but in the future if this were to happen again, the same compensation (or close to it) is exactly what you'd get. This is the same compensation that all cruise lines have been giving for missed ports for as long as I have been a member here...because I've seen threads like this one dozens of times over the past 7 years.

It's not going to change and if people don't accept that, they should fly to their destination.

And yes, the example you gave is extreme and not applicable. I do cruise with the anticipation of the ports BUT I know that they are not guaranteed and I will have a great time if I get to those ports or not. Like I said, I will not waste my money by ruining my own vacation by being disappointed or irate for more than 2 minutes.

It's not impossible. Others on this sailing did EXACTLY that.

I know and understand the risks. Everyone who sails should.

I know and understand the risks. Everyone who sails should.

Nobody will dispute that there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee. It is just how companies handle the situations where things don't go as planned.

Communication and hounesty are key to ensure customer satisfation.

So put this to the extreme. In your reasoning if the ship never leaves te port and stays there for the total cruise thet would be ok for you as that is what you bought???

Of course cruiselines will not go that far even they could based on the terms and conditions and it is clear that this particular cruise was not as advertised and the consequences not handled in the best manner.

Doing business is not hide behind a unilateral clause but settle it in a reasonable manner. Clearly based on the many responses on this thread it is clear that the compensation offered is not in line with the excpectations of a group of the passengers.

Maybe cruising isn't the vacation for you. When you purchase a cruise and this has already been explained a hundred times you are purchasing a hotel at sea including meals, entertainment and transportation. The Ports are normally important to all of us, but those who research or have cruised often understand ports are missed or substituted often. We booked two cruises (with another line I will mention) and had ports changed prior to sailing but after final payment, no compensation was offered at all. We were disappointed, we lived with it, had a good time in both cases and that was the end of it. I will add, both times the cancelled ports were ones we had not visited so we were temporarily bummed!!

All mass marketed lines handle these problems in a similar manner. I would guess in evey case there is a group of passengers that think whining will get them somewhere. It doesn't. the compensation for disappointment runs pretty standared across the board. i guess for those of you who want to continue to scream and shout, no one will change your mind, but you do need to open it some and realize, as someone else said: "ship happens"

Nita

Maybe cruising isn't the vacation for you. When you purchase a cruise and this has already been explained a hundred times you are purchasing a hotel at sea including meals, entertainment and transportation. The Ports are normally important to all of us, but those who research or have cruised often understand ports are missed or substituted often. We booked two cruises (with another line I will mention) and had ports changed prior to sailing but after final payment, no compensation was offered at all. We were disappointed, we lived with it, had a good time in both cases and that was the end of it. I will add, both times the cancelled ports were ones we had not visited so we were temporarily bummed!!

All mass marketed lines handle these problems in a similar manner. I would guess in evey case there is a group of passengers that think whining will get them somewhere. It doesn't. the compensation for disappointment runs pretty standared across the board. i guess for those of you who want to continue to scream and shout, no one will change your mind, but you do need to open it some and realize, as someone else said: "ship happens"

Nita

I speak only about THIS particalur cruise and how THIS cruise was handled.

Part of doing business is managing expectations and manage disruptions accordingly. I DO NOT speak about changes related to weather, political situations etc but about what happened on THIS cruise.

If a business only sticks to their unilateral conditions that are purely in place to protect themselves from those outrageous lawsuites in the US they would be out of business in a second.

I am glad that YOU are in the minority thinking that you only book a "floating hotel" otherwise no cruiseship will make the effort to visits ports anymore and keep all passenger on board as long as possible.

I speak only about THIS particalur cruise and how THIS cruise was handled.

Part of doing business is managing expectations and manage disruptions accordingly. I DO NOT speak about changes related to weather, political situations etc but about what happened on THIS cruise.

If a business only sticks to their unilateral conditions that are purely in place to protect themselves from those outrageous lawsuites in the US they would be out of business in a second.

I am glad that YOU are in the minority thinking that you only book a "floating hotel" otherwise no cruiseship will make the effort to visits ports anymore and keep all passenger on board as long as possible.

*Could not have put it in better words. We are TALKING ABOUT THIS CRUISE, and this cruise only and how poorly an unrespectfully everything was handled from start to finish.

This is sound advice, and should really be heeded by NCL themselves.

When I was on the Dawn this past summer when the engine blew. My problem wasn't the blown engine that caused us to cut our stay in Bermuda short one day, but it was the communication. The communication was slow and when it did come, we were told not to bother asking any questions because nobody on staff would be updated on the situation. The longer people were kept in the dark, the bigger the issue actually became.

Instead of ever being told something that even resembled an apology, we were constantly being told it could be worse. I felt then and I feel now that what NCL's customer service needs is an overhaul, because "it isn't what you say, but how you say it", and when you say it.

It sounds as if NCL made a conscious decision to do the exact opposite of what Carnival did on the Splendor. John Heard wrote a blog about the day to day efforts of Carnival management to keep him (and thereby all the passengers) absolutely, honestly up to date with what was happening to them.

Bingo! Halos gets the big prize.

What you describe above is my biggest pet peeve with cruising. I'm good with missing a port because I know that it isn't guaranteed. I am NOT good knowing that someone who misses an equal (or lesser in some cases) number of ports gets far more compensation than others. It can't be so random - and it is since I was told in no uncertain terms by another line myself.

I don't know how they could standardize it but it sure would help.

I went and asked the cruise person who was doing the bookings and promotions, it is good for a year, cruise must be taken with in that time

We did the same thing and he called Miami to verify it and called our cabin later in the day. 10% has to be booked and used within a year, so we won't be able to use it either.

It sounds as if NCL made a conscious decision to do the exact opposite of what Carnival did on the Splendor. John Heard wrote a blog about the day to day efforts of Carnival management to keep him (and thereby all the passengers) absolutely, honestly up to date with what was happening to them.

John Heald also wrote a blog about this. Coincidence? :rolleyes: :D

PE

*Could not have put it in better words. We are TALKING ABOUT THIS CRUISE, and this cruise only and how poorly an unrespectfully everything was handled from start to finish.

If everyone who sailed on that ship agreed with you, this would be easier to swallow. But since others have come back with total opposite reactions, my opinion is it wasn't what NCL did or didn't do, but how each passenger handled it.

Please read the quote I was referring to. :confused:

This why things go off track so quickly around here.:(

PE

I did see the quote. I was referring to your "also", as in, "in addition too":confused:, sorry I misunderstood your statement.

I can see where ambiguous statements such as this could easily get things off track.:(

We did the same thing and he called Miami to verify it and called our cabin later in the day. 10% has to be booked and used within a year, so we won't be able to use it either.

That's too bad Jodi. We just used our credit to book for January on the Star.

toni

just filled out the questionaire NCL sent, maybe they will change the discount to be used in booking within a year but taking the cruise with in 2, then more of us could decide to use it. I sure wouldn't mind sailing with Matt Baker again, what a great cruise director. I also loved the entertainment. I have my issues with this cruise but will say these were high lights, especially since we left this cruise to go straight onto Carnival Valor, who had the worst cruise director and OK entertainment. I will say both lines had excellent diniNg staff, even if Valor's spoKe English better, loved Dawn's many more bathrooms too.

That's too bad Jodi. We just used our credit to book for January on the Star.

toni

Hi Toni,

I hope y'all have a wonderful trip next year. We loved the Star. She was our first NCL cruise to Alaska. I think we're going to try to do an all-inclusive somewhere next year, never done that before. In a couple of years, we may try to do the NCL ship in Hawaii.

Take care,

Jodi

I did see the quote. I was referring to your "also", as in, "in addition too":confused:, sorry I misunderstood your statement.

I can see where ambiguous statements such as this could easily get things off track.:(

I was pointing out the incorrect name of John Heard by using the correct name of John Heald. ;)

PE

Archived