11 Night Spain/Canary Island Cruise 2 nd February 2012

Hi - we have just booked this on Independence of the Seas from Southampton - I know it's for next year but anyone been in this cruise this year - what is/was

the weather like please?

Hi there The weather is something that obviously can change day to day. It sems that the Bay of Biscay can be kind one minute and cruel the next. Our son and his fiance are on Indy at the moment I spoke to him midweek. They left Southampton on Sunday aiming for Lisbon on Wednesday. The captain advised them at sailaway that there would be some bad weather to contend with before the cruise began :eek:

Turned out to be worse than that. They entered the BOB and it wasn't to bad the storm they were anticipating had moved quicker but there was another one brewing over Portugal. The outcome was that they couldn't dock in Lisbon and carried on to Palma.

They then had a medical emergency and had to dock in Gibraltar to offload the passenger. The ship was docked for all of 30 minutes before making for Palma where it arrived this morning. So they have had virtually 5 days at sea, almost he same as a transatlantic crossing. :eek:

If you are talking weather in general we sailed from Barcelona down to the Canaries 2 years ago We docked in Malaga the next day and we were walking around in shorts and T shirts while the locals were all in overcoats LOL but when we arrived in Tenerife the north side of the island (where the ships dock) was pleasant. We drove to the south side and it was really warm in the low 80's

Basically it's the luck of the draw!!!!

Regards.

Paul

Hi - we have just booked this on Independence of the Seas from Southampton - I know it's for next year but anyone been in this cruise this year - what is/was

the weather like please?

Will be able to tell you better in a few weeks as we are going 14th March

i

Oh gosh Paul they are certainly having a time of it - let's hope things

improve rapidly.

I would be grateful for any info your son may have on the ship/cruise.

thanks - Barbara

Hi there The weather is something that obviously can change day to day. It sems that the Bay of Biscay can be kind one minute and cruel the next. Our son and his fiance are on Indy at the moment I spoke to him midweek. They left Southampton on Sunday aiming for Lisbon on Wednesday. The captain advised them at sailaway that there would be some bad weather to contend with before the cruise began :eek:

Turned out to be worse than that. They entered the BOB and it wasn't to bad the storm they were anticipating had moved quicker but there was another one brewing over Portugal. The outcome was that they couldn't dock in Lisbon and carried on to Palma.

They then had a medical emergency and had to dock in Gibraltar to offload the passenger. The ship was docked for all of 30 minutes before making for Palma where it arrived this morning. So they have had virtually 5 days at sea, almost he same as a transatlantic crossing. :eek:

If you are talking weather in general we sailed from Barcelona down to the Canaries 2 years ago We docked in Malaga the next day and we were walking around in shorts and T shirts while the locals were all in overcoats LOL but when we arrived in Tenerife the north side of the island (where the ships dock) was pleasant. We drove to the south side and it was really warm in the low 80's

Basically it's the luck of the draw!!!!

Regards.

Paul

Have not cruise in that area at that time of year, but the BOB can be difficult any time. We have had a good few holidays in The canaries at that time of year. We were there this year from 16th to 23rd decemebr and each day it was around 23 deg, so very pleasant. Friends were there at the end of January and had a week of rain, so you just never know. That said there are not many places in Europe with such good weather as The Canaries at that time of year. For that reason I would probaly pick May, June, or september to cruise there and June, July or Augudt for the Med.

Archived