Cenote (Dos Ojos)

DGNY

We snorkeled Dos Ojos about 4 years ago. We signed up and went with one of the workers at the dive shop at the resort we stayed at (Akumal Beach Resort). I would not recommend doing a cenote snorkel (especially Dos Ojos) without an experienced guide. A flashlight is a must. Be prepared for an awesome experience. Not any fish to look at but the stalagmite and stalactite formations were awesome. A bit harrowing going through some of the passages - in some areas the water level was less than a foot from the roof of the cave. Have snorkeled in the wild with dolphins, seals, turtles and Atlantic humpback whales, but the Dos Ojos snorkel was one of the most memorable.

• 1 month later...

I've been diving in Dos Ojos, I wouldn't have thought there'd be much area to snorkel. Definitely take a flashlight. Also, the water is pretty cool. Maybe consider a wetsuit if you'll be in there for an extended period of time.

I did do a snorkel at Chaak Tun cenote and was very disappointed. Life jackets were mandatory and really awkward, there wasn't a lot of area to explore and we weren't given much time (this was part of a larger jeep tour). Hopefully your experience will be better!

Archived