What to do?

TN-CruiseGirl

I am sure the beaches are lovely but we had a crappy day weather wise so we chose not to go. My advice here however is to beware of all the crazy taxi drivers - this place was INSANE. We told 62 different people in a matter of minutes we did not want a taxi. Also 7 people no to hair braiding and one guy no to weed. The only pushier people I have seen in the Caribbean are the crazy Labadee vendors!

Well....I really need further advice, because it sounds like we need to develop a plan. And I've encounter those vendors before and know exactly what you are talking about. So, if the weather is good should we do the beach?

Eli's EcoTour is a fantastic way to experience Antigua. It's a boat tour, you go to Hells Gate and Bird Island, get time for snorkeling, and have a great home-made lunch. Eli's tours are our absolute all-time favorite - www.adventureantigua.com gives a complete description of that tour, as well as some alternatives.

I vote for creole cruises. We did it in november with my husband, grandma and two daughters, ages 6 and 9. There is a thread on Creole....but glen and Mario are great, they spent a lot of time with my kids. It's a laid back day, their boat picks you up at the port, the lobster lunch is wonderful, 2 snorkel stops with lots of starfish, and island exploration with crabs and great views! One of the best excursions that we have been on. Small, personal, and relaxing, no stress. Worth every penny. They really care about making sure that you have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked on the Carnival Freedom in March. We cruise a lot, but have never stopped in Antigua before. We love the beach, but do not want to miss anything that is a "must see." Advice?

We`ll be there on Wed. Apr. 13 and booked with Gordon Tours for the BEST OF PARADISE ISLAND TOUR recomended by many fellow members and covers all the best things to see in antigua (a beach stopover included) as I remember for a previous visit in 1999.

We just returned from our Serenade of the Seas cruise (3/5-3/12) and booked a tour with Gordon on our own. It was a wonderful day! I contacted Gordon via email at:

tourguidegordon@gmail.com

There were six of us and I think he needs to have 4 people in order to set up a tour.

We could have customized our tour to see anything we wanted, but pretty much stuck with what we had read about on CC. We saw all the "must see" sites- the Block House (where we saw Eric Clapton's house, and 2 whales in the water) Nelson's Dockyards, Shirley Heights, Devil's Bridge and ended the day at Long Bay Beach- all beautiful sites!

Gordon is everything everyone says! He is engaging, friendly, polite, professional, and knowledgeable. He will adapt his tour to suit you.

As far as an 8 and 10 year old. The tour is interesting enough and moves at a fast enough pace that I think they would enjoy it- and they would get along well with Gordon. The one recommendation I would make: when you get to Nelson's Dockyard, Gordon will let you off at the entrance and will wait for you in the parking lot. You will have already paid a fee to go to all the "National Park Sites" - I think $5. When you come into the entrance they will ask you if you want to join a tour. It's free, and takes about 20 minutes. I would strongly suggest doing that. We had a charming young lady as our tour guide and found out much more information from her than we would have on our own.

We loved Antigua, and Gordon is a wonderful ambassador for his beautiful island!

Archived