train from LeHavre to Paris

cruisnfool

• 2 months later...
Anyone know how much?

It depends on the schedule and the type of train you choose.

We went on a Thurday (April 28, 2011) using the 8:03am train from Le Havre (little over 2 hrs, no connections; returning from Paris on the 5:50pm train) and paid the "regular fare" of 30.80 €/ one way/ pp for 2nd class and then 20% off this fare for senior citizens. So that makes it 61.60 €/ pp round trip ("regular" fare).

Note that they occasionally they have specials (promo rates) such as 23.00 €/pp/one way for May promo Inter-cities on the 1st class etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if pre-purchased train tickets are transferrable to the next train if you miss the one the tickets are for?

We're getting off the ship in Le Havre instead of returning to Southampton in August. We want to purchase tickets on the 8:00am train to Paris. The ship docks at 7:00am which should give us time to get to the train station for the trip into Paris.

If the ship is delayed, can we just use the tickets for the next train at 11:00am?

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

With a super late sailing, I would take the train.

Schedules at voyages-sncf.com Site is in French but you can use the google translator on it.

Depart Le Havre

Arrivee Paris Saint Lazare

21 Euros and bit over 2 hours.

For some journeys, you can pay a bit more for a reservation which means you have a reserved seat on the train. If you don't have one, you could be standing if the train is full.

• 3 weeks later...
With a super late sailing, I would take the train.

Schedules at voyages-sncf.com Site is in French but you can use the google translator on it.

Depart Le Havre

Arrivee Paris Saint Lazare

21 Euros and bit over 2 hours.

For some journeys, you can pay a bit more for a reservation which means you have a reserved seat on the train. If you don't have one, you could be standing if the train is full.

If I remember correctly, we too paid about 21 euros per person. :)

Also keep in mind that the SNCF has generous discounts for "seniors." As to who qualifies for a senior, that is the question! We are in our early 60s and always ask (and get the discount) which can be more then 20%. Bottom line is if you are 60+ just ask when you are buying your ticket...and see what happens.

Hank

The process is pretty easy too. When you buy online they give a electronic confirmation number. There are lots of kiosks in the station where you enter your name and the confirmation number, and it prints out your ticket. The machines/kiosks a have a "English' icon and all the instructions can be viewed in english, and as a bonus there's no need to stand inline at the ticket window (no french is required :D)

Pretty easy day trip IMO

Srpilo

• 2 weeks later...

We arrive in Le Havre at 7:00am -- Can we get to the train station in time to catch the 8:00 train? We are hoping to book a walking tour of Paris at 11:00

Here is the schedule:

Dock 7:00am

Train departs at 8:00am

Arrive Paris 10:15ish

Walking tour begins (Notre Dame) 11:00

Is this a doable schedule?

Thanks to anyone that has had this experience and can comment.

Becky

Anyone know if pre-purchased train tickets are transferrable to the next train if you miss the one the tickets are for?

We're getting off the ship in Le Havre instead of returning to Southampton in August. We want to purchase tickets on the 8:00am train to Paris. The ship docks at 7:00am which should give us time to get to the train station for the trip into Paris.

If the ship is delayed, can we just use the tickets for the next train at 11:00am?

Thanks.

I also would like to know how this worked for you. We are planning to do the same thing this September. Can you give an update? Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning to try to catch the train in May. Would love to know if we can make it to the station for the 8:00am if we dock at 7:00am.

We will try and I will post when we return - - but, still would like to hear from someone that has tried.

We would offer one thought of caution for anyone considering taking a late train back to LeHavre (as mentioned in a post). You cannot assume that there will be any taxis waiting at the LeHavre train station! If there are no taxis you are faced with the dilemma of either waiting and hoping one will show-up, having a cell phone with a few local taxi companies programmed so you can call (it helps to speak French), or you might find yourself having to make what can be at least a 30 min walk (the time will vary depending on docking position and your pace) back to the ship. As independent travelers we have learned to always have a "Plan B" to get back to the ship (or catch-up in the next port) and the "Plan B" for Lehavre is to allow enough time for us to make that long trek back to the port.

Hank

We are planning to try to catch the train in May. Would love to know if we can make it to the station for the 8:00am if we dock at 7:00am.

We will try and I will post when we return - - but, still would like to hear from someone that has tried.

The answer is maybe! Assuming your ship docks on time, they are able to get the gangplank in place quickly (not always a given in France because of the labor unions), and your ship gets quickly cleared you might be able to get off the ship by 7:20. At this point, if you get lucky and find a taxi willing to take you to the train station you will make that 8am train (its only about a 10 min taxi ride to the station). If you have to walk to the train station (we did this on our last visit) it can easily be a 30 min walk.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Hank.

We will be in Le Havre on 3-May, and would like to catch the train to Paris.

I am just worried about pre-paying online for a ticket and then missing that 7:59am train. We only just arrive at 7am.

Maybe I should just book the 9am and take it a little slower getting to the train.

And make sure I pick up a local Le Havre map in case we have to walk back to the ship when we return.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has taken the train from Le Havre to Paris and from the train station, the easiest public transport to see the Eiffel Tower (excluding taxi).

Is there a metro station close by the train station that will drop us off very close to the Eiffel Tower? Is there a website that would give me the schedule and cost?

Thank you so much for your help. It is one of our dreams to see the Eiffel Tower.

Bethany

googled it and the train goes to the st lazare station...says its about 3.5 or 4 miles from there to the eiffel tower...so an hour walk

also there is a metro station from the station to the ecole militaire..if you want to go up the tower you will have to line up so the time saved may be worth it to you

last time we were in paris there was a public transportation strike..so cabs were not a choice either..had to walk and take the hop on hop off boat (well worth it..alternative to the bateau mouche tours

have a great trip

try doing a search in cruise critic too for paris tips

Thanks for the info Hank.

We will be in Le Havre on 3-May, and would like to catch the train to Paris.

I am just worried about pre-paying online for a ticket and then missing that 7:59am train. We only just arrive at 7am.

Maybe I should just book the 9am and take it a little slower getting to the train.

And make sure I pick up a local Le Havre map in case we have to walk back to the ship when we return.

It is relatively easy to find your way back to the port since you can simply walk down to the water, turn right, and eventually you will see your ship :). There is no way to be sure when choosing between those two trains which is one reason we never make train reservations when we are on cruise ships. You probably would be able to get tickets for either train at the station, but this can take a little time....which could be an issue if you are running for the 7:59. These are the kind of decisions that make independent travel so much fun :)

Hank

We arrive in Le Havre at 7:00am -- Can we get to the train station in time to catch the 8:00 train? We are hoping to book a walking tour of Paris at 11:00

Here is the schedule:

Dock 7:00am

Train departs at 8:00am

Arrive Paris 10:15ish

Walking tour begins (Notre Dame) 11:00

Is this a doable schedule?

Thanks to anyone that has had this experience and can comment.

Becky

It is doable if the ship arrives in Port of Le Havre as scheduled and you're among the first ones getting off the ship... and catch quickly a taxi to the train station and there is a short line there or you purchase your tickets directly at the machine.

We did all this last year (April 2011) and made it the last minute on the early morning train to Paris - as soon as we got on the train, it left the station!

As someone mentioned above already, although we took an earlier train back from Paris, there were NO taxis at Le Havre train station that evening... However, having plenty of time in hand, we walked back to the RCI cruise ship (almost 30 minutes):

map-corail-paris-le-havre.jpg

Images and tickets/ prices from our experience in April 2011:

Photos: LE HAVRE, France - a cold & cloudy day (Thursday, 04.28.2011)

Thursday morning, "Vision of the Seas" arrived in our last port of call: Le Havre (7am). It was a very cold, windy, cloudy day...

Left the cruise ship very early in the morning, taking a taxi straight to the Train Station. We immediately headed to PARIS for the day via the local train (little over 2 hours ride each way).

In the evening, we walked from the Train Station to our RCI cruise ship "Vision of the Seas" (docked right next to RCI "Independence of the Seas")... couldn't find a taxi near the Train Station in Le Havre...

Sailaway (9pm) was bit sad as this was our last port of call before getting to our final destination on Friday morning: Southampton, UK...

View photo album (150)

Photos: TRAIN RIDE (roundtrip) from Le Havre to PARIS St. Lazare (Thursday, 04.28.2011)

In LE HAVRE, we left the cruise ship very early in the morning, heading straight to PARIS for the day via the local train (a little over 2 hours ride each way).

In the evening, we returned directly to the RCI cruise ship "Vision of the Seas" (docked right next to "Independence of the Seas").

View photo album (95)

Photos: PARIS L'Open Tour Bus highlights (Thursday 04.28.2011)

I love Paris in the spring time

I love Paris in the Fall

I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles

I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles!

View photo album (1060)

googled it and the train goes to the st lazare station...says its about 3.5 or 4 miles from there to the eiffel tower...so an hour walk

also there is a metro station from the station to the ecole militaire..if you want to go up the tower you will have to line up so the time saved may be worth it to you

last time we were in paris there was a public transportation strike..so cabs were not a choice either..had to walk and take the hop on hop off boat (well worth it..alternative to the bateau mouche tours

have a great trip

try doing a search in cruise critic too for paris tips

Thank you so much for the tips. We may give it a try! :D

Archived