Questions about the Spirit

Hikini

Do they have the Olde English style fish and chips in the Blue Lagoon? We were on the Star and the Blue Lagoon was a favorite stop for the fish and chips.

Also, is there a La Trattoria on the Spirit? If so, is there a cover charge and are reservations required?

We'll be sailing on the Spirit in September. Thanks for any info you choose to share!

Hikini

There are fish n chips available in Henry's Pub on sea days for lunch. There was a trattoria set up in a closed off area of the buffet at nite. There was no cover charge but reservations were required.

You might want to look at my review posted recently for more info. Enjoy your cruise.. it's a beautiful ship.

I can't wait! Last year we were on the Star and we were docked right next to the Spirit in 2 different ports. Somehow I knew we would be going on the Spirit someday and I took lots of pictures of her. Of course they are all of the exterior, but I enjoy them nonetheless. Also, I live in Seattle so all summer long on the weekends I see the cruise ships docked at the pier and then pass our neighborhood as they cruise past Shilshole on their way north.

Seems really silly to be concerned about the food on a cruise that is 6 months away, but we were wondering about getting those fish and chips that we enjoyed so much on the Star. Is there a charge for getting them at Henry's?:p

Hikini

I'm doing the exact opposite, was on the Spirit, and loved it so much that I decided to do NCL again this year, but this time the Star.

Did you like the Star? And, if you don't mind me asking, we are planning a week in Seattle before the cruise. Do you have any hints on things we should not miss (last year we only a day, so we spent it at the space needle, EMP, etc.)

Enjoy the Spirit, it's a great ship!

The Star is beautiful - we loved it! Versailles, one of the no-cover restaurants is at the back of the ship - it's so elegant and beautiful. Aqua and Versailles serve the same food but in different settings.

The staff is excellent! I hope for your sake that Shawn Farquhar is still on board. He's a 2 time world champion magician, but is also a comedian in his own right. SO entertaining! Don't miss the Liar's Club, especially if Shawn is on board!

The CD, Kieron Buffery is also a hoot. Never a dull moment with these guys.

In case you missed it in one of my earlier posts, don't miss the Blue Lagoon cafe. Open 24 hours a day and they have great old English style fish and chips. I've heard that their burgers were super good, but we never ordered anything besides the fish and chips.

As far as things to do in Seattle - where do I begin? Since you are going on a cruise, it wouldn't be such a big deal to take a ferry ride across Puget Sound....but that's an idea. Visiting the Museum of Flight down at Boeing field is a great thing. Visiting the Government Locks in the Ballard area is really interesting. (I think they are officially called the Hiram M. Chittendam Locks). Walking along the waterfront there are tons of shops and interesting things to look at. The Ye Olde Curiousity Shop is one. There is an Omni Dome showing Imax-style films on the waterfront as well as the Seattle Aquarium.

Depending on when you are going to be here, the campus of the University of Washington is really beautiful when all the trees are blooming.

Take a drive across one of the floating bridges to the 'east' side. If you know someone with a boat you can go by Bills Gates' mansion on Lake Washington.

There are tons and tons of great restaurants here in town. Depends on what you like to eat and if you're on a budget. I'd be glad to answer more questions if you have them. Either about the Star, or Seattle!

Hikini:D

I'm doing the exact opposite, was on the Spirit, and loved it so much that I decided to do NCL again this year, but this time the Star.

Did you like the Star? And, if you don't mind me asking, we are planning a week in Seattle before the cruise. Do you have any hints on things we should not miss (last year we only a day, so we spent it at the space needle, EMP, etc.)

Enjoy the Spirit, it's a great ship!

Tanten99, we also were on the Spirit last summer and enjoyed the ship, the crew and the cruise to Alaska tremendously! When are you going back to Alaska? This June we are returning to Alaska on the Star - my husband wants to see Glacier Bay since we've been to Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier twice. Let's hope we enjoy the Star as much as we enjoyed the Spirit!

You will love the Star. Promise! Even more, you will love Glacier Bay. I so enjoyed spending the whole day in the bay and seeing so much wildelife and calving activity. I was even lucky enough to get a really big calving experience on video tape.

Going into Sawyer Glacier, back through Tracy Arm is beautiful, but actually seeing the glacier is such a short amount of time. You feel like you will miss it if you don't get out on deck in time. The day in Glacier Bay is so relaxing and you will have plenty of time to see the glaciers.

We saw several whales in the bay, especially at the entrance area. We saw harbor seals and tons of puffins. We also saw 6 different bears. 4 of them were together, the other 2 by themselves.

My parents are elderly and can't walk around an awful lot or stand for long periods of time. One of our group got up real early and went to sit in the Spinnaker Lounge to insure that Mom and Dad would have a nice place to sit and view the bay that morning. We were all in the lounge early, so had no problem securing a place to sit - but it does fill up fast. We didn't want to be chair hogs, so made sure that we were all together most of the time. Just a hint.

Have a blast! I know you will....

You will love the Star. Promise! Even more, you will love Glacier Bay. I so enjoyed spending the whole day in the bay and seeing so much wildelife and calving activity. I was even lucky enough to get a really big calving experience on video tape.

Going into Sawyer Glacier, back through Tracy Arm is beautiful, but actually seeing the glacier is such a short amount of time. You feel like you will miss it if you don't get out on deck in time. The day in Glacier Bay is so relaxing and you will have plenty of time to see the glaciers.

We saw several whales in the bay, especially at the entrance area. We saw harbor seals and tons of puffins. We also saw 6 different bears. 4 of them were together, the other 2 by themselves.

My parents are elderly and can't walk around an awful lot or stand for long periods of time. One of our group got up real early and went to sit in the Spinnaker Lounge to insure that Mom and Dad would have a nice place to sit and view the bay that morning. We were all in the lounge early, so had no problem securing a place to sit - but it does fill up fast. We didn't want to be chair hogs, so made sure that we were all together most of the time. Just a hint.

Have a blast! I know you will....

Thanks for all the info, Hikini. We are looking foward to Glacier Bay (and all of Alaska's breathtaking scenery). Do you remember about what time in the morning that you started to enter the bay. Were you there the whole day? We were wondering if we would be able to get good viewing of Glacier Bay from our mini-suite balcony. What do you think? Thanks again!

I believe we entered the bay around 6am. Some naturalists got on board with us - I think they work for Glacier Bay National Park. They set up some tables in the Spinnaker Lounge. I didn't see the rendevous with the boat, but my sister in law did and she said it was interesting to see them come aboard with all their stuff.

Later in the morning they began to make announcements about what we were seeing and where to look for wildlife that had been spotted, etc. It was really, very interesting.

I think you will love having a balcony for your own private viewing while in the bay. The one drawback with that is that you can't hear the public announcements in your cabin, so might not know when there is something specific to see.

We enjoyed outdoor viewing from the back of the ship up on the 12th or 13th deck. Plenty of deck space and it wasn't crowded, so you can move around easily for viewing and picture taking.

If I remember right we left the bay sometime around 4pm. It seemed like the day zoomed by.

While we were looking at Marjerie Glacier, the Coral Princess came into the same area. It really gave us a true perspective about how high the glacier is - it towered over the ship.

Dress warm!

Hikini:p

I believe we entered the bay around 6am. Some naturalists got on board with us - I think they work for Glacier Bay National Park. They set up some tables in the Spinnaker Lounge. I didn't see the rendevous with the boat, but my sister in law did and she said it was interesting to see them come aboard with all their stuff.

Later in the morning they began to make announcements about what we were seeing and where to look for wildlife that had been spotted, etc. It was really, very interesting.

I think you will love having a balcony for your own private viewing while in the bay. The one drawback with that is that you can't hear the public announcements in your cabin, so might not know when there is something specific to see.

We enjoyed outdoor viewing from the back of the ship up on the 12th or 13th deck. Plenty of deck space and it wasn't crowded, so you can move around easily for viewing and picture taking.

If I remember right we left the bay sometime around 4pm. It seemed like the day zoomed by.

While we were looking at Marjerie Glacier, the Coral Princess came into the same area. It really gave us a true perspective about how high the glacier is - it towered over the ship.

Dress warm!

Hikini:p

Thanks for all the great information, Hikini. When was your cruise last year? And, when are you going on the Spirit? I posted a lengthy review on CruiseCritics member review section. Take a look! And, have you seen my pictures of the Spirit?

One other question, though. You mentioned not being able to hear the naturalists or ship announcements in your cabin. On the Spirit we were able to tune the television to a particular channel and hear all the announcements taking place. Do you know if this is also true about the Star? Thanks again.

Tanten99, we also were on the Spirit last summer and enjoyed the ship, the crew and the cruise to Alaska tremendously! When are you going back to Alaska? This June we are returning to Alaska on the Star - my husband wants to see Glacier Bay since we've been to Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier twice. Let's hope we enjoy the Star as much as we enjoyed the Spirit!

We'll be going back this year on the 5/29 cruise. Going to Glacier Bay was the reason we chose the Star, as opposed to doing the Spirit again (we loved everything about the Spirit). Sawyer Glacier was amazing, but we wanted to do Glacier Bay this time (experience something new).

Everyone seems to have great things to say about it, so I cannot wait!

Also, Hikini, Thanks for the info on Seattle! I've written it down in my Seattle book, and am getting excited about that part of our trip as well!

I'm betting that you can tune the TV to the announcement channel. Forgot about that! The thing I didn't like about that channel is that when they are not making announcements they are playing music - we'd just as soon have it quiet.

I will go and read your review about the Spirit, and look at your pictures. We were on the Star last June and will be going on the Spirit this September.

I heard they are moving the Spirit off of this route after this season. So I'm sure we'll be getting a new ship into the Seattle to Alaska market in 2006. Wonder what it will be? We are already planning another trip in 2006 with several family members, so of course it interests me when talk like that circulates.

In 2 years we will have taken 3 different ships to AK. The Sky (which is now Pride of Aloha) the Star and now the Spirit. And next year?????

I'm betting that you can tune the TV to the announcement channel. Forgot about that! The thing I didn't like about that channel is that when they are not making announcements they are playing music - we'd just as soon have it quiet.

I will go and read your review about the Spirit, and look at your pictures. We were on the Star last June and will be going on the Spirit this September.

I heard they are moving the Spirit off of this route after this season. So I'm sure we'll be getting a new ship into the Seattle to Alaska market in 2006. Wonder what it will be? We are already planning another trip in 2006 with several family members, so of course it interests me when talk like that circulates.

In 2 years we will have taken 3 different ships to AK. The Sky (which is now Pride of Aloha) the Star and now the Spirit. And next year?????

Yes, Seattle will be getting the Jewel for the 2006 Alaska season replacing the Spirit. Not sure yet if the Jewel will have the same itinerary as the Spirit or not.

Hey, Hikini, we have a lot in common (except I'm much older than you)! Our first cruise was to Alaska on the Sky, then last year we went on the Spirit and now we'll get to see Alaska on the Star. And, we're already planning to go again next year! I'd like to do the 11-day, but not sure about the Dream. Now, if the Jewel would do the 11-day, then there would be no question about it. Just not enough time to see all that Alaska has to offer!

I can't wait! Last year we were on the Star and we were docked right next to the Spirit in 2 different ports. Somehow I knew we would be going on the Spirit someday and I took lots of pictures of her. Of course they are all of the exterior, but I enjoy them nonetheless. Also, I live in Seattle so all summer long on the weekends I see the cruise ships docked at the pier and then pass our neighborhood as they cruise past Shilshole on their way north.

Seems really silly to be concerned about the food on a cruise that is 6 months away, but we were wondering about getting those fish and chips that we enjoyed so much on the Star. Is there a charge for getting them at Henry's?:p

Hikini

Hikini, have you posted your pictures from last year? Would love to see them!

Brunolvr,

I just looked at your past cruisers and we have more in common than I realized. (As you mentioned!)

We were on the Sky 09/06/03 (as we were getting off the ship, you were waiting to get on!)

The Star 06/06/04

and will be on the Spirit 09/10/05

And next year???? Sounds like it will be the Jewel.

No, I haven't posted pictures - I don't know how to! :rolleyes: I am new to this board and loving the wealth of knowledge from other cruisers.

If I can do it, anybody can! I went to webshots community and followed their directions - only problem was the limit of 100 pictures unless you want to pay for the service.

Hikini, saw your post that you will be on the Spirit for 9/10/05 same time I will be. Great! I am looking forward to this cruise. I have done one before on the old Westerdam with Holland America. She was a great old ship and I loved her. We are celebrating our wedding anniversary, #15 and my parents anniversary #53. My parents have cruised Alaska 3 times on Princess so this will be interesting. They have a penthouse suite on the Spirit, we just have an outside guarantee. Guess we will be in their cabin for most of this trip!

It is great to see all the info posted here. I am a travel agent so this helps me get info for my clients too. Thanks!

Kristie

Archived