Military Rates and ES

chach123

Do you only get a military discount if someone going on the ship is in the military, or can you get a discount if someone in your immediate family is part of the military? also, if you do es, can you get upgrades/obc if the price drops? ive never cruised before , thanks! :-)

The discount is only available if the military member (active, retired or veteran) is actually going on the cruise. Lately, early saver has been cheaper than the military rate.

This is normally true however our March cruise on the Spirit had military rates less than early saver. We got a very nice OBC when the military rate dropped lower than our ES price!!!

And the military discount only applies to the room that the military person is booked in. For example, my husband is retired military and we cruised with my whole family and got a suite with a connecting OV room and several other rooms. We only got the discount for the OV room (the one he was in), not the suite. We were also required to show proof (DD214) when booking.

And the military discount only applies to the room that the military person is booked in. For example, my husband is retired military and we cruised with my whole family and got a suite with a connecting OV room and several other rooms. We only got the discount for the OV room (the one he was in), not the suite. We were also required to show proof (DD214) when booking.

Not necessarily true if you book in May or November when they are running the military friends and family special.

Right now,

1) The ES is nearly ALWAYS lower than military.

2) VERY often, if you use military instead (why would you if ES is cheaper), and you travel with family that takes another room, THEY get the reduced military rate as well.

Our PVP has always told us that ES rates were better than military :(

One nice thing to mention is that everyone in the room with a member of the military gets the military rate.

We used the Military Rate on our first cruise and there was only a $10 difference between that and the ES rate so it does vary depending on the sailing. We got price drops taken off of the final balance all the way up to final payment date. After that we could have taken advantage of a room upgrade.

The good thing about the booking Military rates with Carnival is that you only need to submit a copy of your DD214 one time not each time you may choose to book. I E-mailed a copy of my DD214 to my PVP and now he has it on file in case I want to use this discount on any future cruises. He always advises me on what discount will save us the most money. In addition, the Documentation Dept at Carnival E-mailed me back a letter that stated that my documentation was approved. I also printed this out and keep it in my files for proof as well.

Archived