MSC Magnifica - for us ??

MICK48DC

We normally cruise RC or HA however i have found a good cruise with good ports with the right dates and price BUT we are slightly worried about some negative reviews . We are English and love the Italian people but accept that they are very familiy oriented and can be pretty noisy on holiday , we are looking for a nice cruise to relax and read a few books , eat nice food and see nice places ?? , no more no less , will we enjoy the MSC Magnifica

Magnifica generally has a very nice deck plan and is well maintained. The food has good and not so good moments (less than HAL [i can't speak to RC]), service is good. Italians are noisy 'q' cutters. I don't recollect loungers on the promenade (which is good for book reading) but there are some nice cafe lounges. If the ports and price are key factors - you'll do fine. Just don't expect to be wowed by cuisine (it's 'spotty'). Personally (as a book reader) I prefer HAL Statendam class ships - but we enjoyed our MSC cruise itinerary and the ship generally.

We normally cruise RC or HA however i have found a good cruise with good ports with the right dates and price BUT we are slightly worried about some negative reviews . We are English and love the Italian people but accept that they are very familiy oriented and can be pretty noisy on holiday , we are looking for a nice cruise to relax and read a few books , eat nice food and see nice places ?? , no more no less , will we enjoy the MSC Magnifica

We travelled on the MSC Magnifica this past January. Overall, we had fun. I agree with Woodofpine that the food was not necessarily the best we have had on a cruise ship, but it was passable. If you want time to relax and read books, you should be able to do it; the ship does not have much going on during the day. If you do not find a chair by the pool, I recommend going to the large balcony on the back of the ship by the disco. The disco is on the highest floor beyond the kids club area. This space was hardly ever used during the day, yet it has an expanded balcony with chairs where you can relax at leasure. In addition, this is a great spot to see the shore as you are leaving the ports.

• 9 months later...
We travelled on the MSC Magnifica this past January. Overall, we had fun. I agree with Woodofpine that the food was not necessarily the best we have had on a cruise ship, but it was passable. If you want time to relax and read books, you should be able to do it; the ship does not have much going on during the day. If you do not find a chair by the pool, I recommend going to the large balcony on the back of the ship by the disco. The disco is on the highest floor beyond the kids club area. This space was hardly ever used during the day, yet it has an expanded balcony with chairs where you can relax at leasure. In addition, this is a great spot to see the shore as you are leaving the ports.

This is a great bit of information. I really like sitting on the promenade deck reading on sea days, but if there aren't chairs there then the area you mention above sounds like just what I might like.

This is a great bit of information. I really like sitting on the promenade deck reading on sea days, but if there aren't chairs there then the area you mention above sounds like just what I might like.

JJDC,

These two pictures are from my cruise on MSC Musica, which is twin sister of MSC Magnifica. The area drblue is talking about is this one, on deck 14

Poppa Ponte 14

but there's also another one I quite liked, aft deck 13, (at the end of restaurant L'Oasi onMSC Magnifica). I used to seat there and read a book,it's very quiet.

Poppa ponte 13

Laura

Globetotter -- Thank you! Those areas both look nice. I love watching the wake. I tend to find myself reading a page or two, then staring out at the ocean for a while, and repeat. I may not get too much reading done, but I find myself wonderfully relaxed. Since they don't seem to have the chairs on the promenade deck, I'm really happy to see they have these other areas away from the pool deck.

And, thanks to the caption on your photo, I've learned a new Italian word -- poppa -- that will be useful on my cruise. Inspired me to go look up the Italian word for the bow of the ship.

Archived