Luau?

Hollyster2

Are you going to be on Oahu any days either before or post cruise? If so, there are several luaus on Oahu--Polynesian Cultural Center, Germaine's, Paradise Cove. You can get transportation to most from your hotel included with a ticket price. Also, there are a couple of other luaus right in Waikiki, but they are on specific days of the week, not everyday as the first three that are mentioned.

On Maui, there is Old Lahaina Luau, that would entail driving from port in Kahalui, which could only be done on your first day in Maui.'

On Kuaui there is Smith's Luau, and I think that you can get a tour to it through Roberts.

As suggested, there are dozens of threads relating to luaus, and am sure you can find the luau that would be right for you and your party.

What is best really depends on what you expect or want.

There are some really "big" ones, I've done one of them, will never do it again. Because of their size and budget they can do some really "big" things but with it comes huge crowds, huge lines for food, huge number of drunk and possible sick people... Anyways that was my take on the thing

The much smaller ones offered by some of the local hotels have been my favorites. Its a much more intimate setting, but since its a much smaller crowd you don't get a lot of expensive or eleborate other things. In general the food and service IMHO is better at these smaller gatherings.

No different than asking what is the best size ship.

We went to a luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center on one trip to Hawaii and to the Old Lahaina on our next trip. I guess either of these would be considered the BIG luau mentioned by another poster. We absolutely Loved, Loved, LOVED the Old Lahaina. We booked way in advance to get good seats. From the moment we entered, until we left, we were treated as honored guests by each and every person at the Old Lahaina. It is a breathtaking place on the beach and the sunset is to die for. I would go back in a minute! We didn't wait in lines, there weren't drunks (even though the alcoholic drinks were included) and we had a pretty diverse crowd of 10 (extended family). Not one single person in our group had a complaint. We all hated to leave :( at the end of the evening.

We went to a luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center on one trip to Hawaii and to the Old Lahaina on our next trip. I guess either of these would be considered the BIG luau mentioned by another poster. We absolutely Loved, Loved, LOVED the Old Lahaina. We booked way in advance to get good seats. From the moment we entered, until we left, we were treated as honored guests by each and every person at the Old Lahaina. It is a breathtaking place on the beach and the sunset is to die for. I would go back in a minute! We didn't wait in lines, there weren't drunks (even though the alcoholic drinks were included) and we had a pretty diverse crowd of 10 (extended family). Not one single person in our group had a complaint. We all hated to leave :( at the end of the evening.

Thanks for the great info about the Old Lahaini Luau. I had heard it was really good. How did you get to the OLL. Did you book through a tour company that took you back and forth from the ship?

Thanks for the great info about the Old Lahaini Luau. I had heard it was really good. How did you get to the OLL. Did you book through a tour company that took you back and forth from the ship?

Just my preference, but I went onto their website and then I called them. I just like to personally talk to someone and ask questions if I have them. We booked directly over the phone with them. When we got to Maui, we took a taxi to the luau. You can walk, but it's a long way and my parents would never have been able to do it..and for convenience we just grabbed a couple of cabs at the pier. It was a short cab ride and wasn't expensive. Besides, not that it's dangerous, but it's late and dark to walk back, and we had all consumed quite a few of the fun drinks by then. We still use the picture taken of us at the Luau for a screen saver. You can book seating that's on the ground which is the closest, but I think we would have needed a crane to get my parents off the cushions and back upright after a few hours of sitting (LOL) so we opted for the table. Our table was very close, but the way they have it set up, there is honestly not a bad table. All the drinks you can hold are included and they are very generous with those also. It is honestly one of our favorite vacation memories. There was a smile on each of our faces the entire night, which is sometimes hard to accomplish with a big group with different tastes and ages. Every year, we watch the Macy's parade to see the OLL dancers in the parade. It's like getting a little piece of that night back again when we see them. We wouldn't trade if for the world. Hawaii was the place my Dad had always said he wanted to see. He got to see the volcanoes, the whales, the luau, Pearl Harbor, waterfalls, rainbows..he even got to sit at Pearl Harbor and chat with a WWII vet who sits there to answer questions. My Dad died not so long ago, and I will never regret one moment of that cruise. Book the luau now to make sure you can get in on the night you are there. Passengers from all the cruise ships will be booking too, so get your name on the list. It's worth every cent.

Just my preference, but I went onto their website and then I called them. I just like to personally talk to someone and ask questions if I have them. We booked directly over the phone with them. When we got to Maui, we took a taxi to the luau. You can walk, but it's a long way and my parents would never have been able to do it..and for convenience we just grabbed a couple of cabs at the pier. It was a short cab ride and wasn't expensive. Besides, not that it's dangerous, but it's late and dark to walk back, and we had all consumed quite a few of the fun drinks by then. We still use the picture taken of us at the Luau for a screen saver. You can book seating that's on the ground which is the closest, but I think we would have needed a crane to get my parents off the cushions and back upright after a few hours of sitting (LOL) so we opted for the table. Our table was very close, but the way they have it set up, there is honestly not a bad table. All the drinks you can hold are included and they are very generous with those also. It is honestly one of our favorite vacation memories. There was a smile on each of our faces the entire night, which is sometimes hard to accomplish with a big group with different tastes and ages. Every year, we watch the Macy's parade to see the OLL dancers in the parade. It's like getting a little piece of that night back again when we see them. We wouldn't trade if for the world. Hawaii was the place my Dad had always said he wanted to see. He got to see the volcanoes, the whales, the luau, Pearl Harbor, waterfalls, rainbows..he even got to sit at Pearl Harbor and chat with a WWII vet who sits there to answer questions. My Dad died not so long ago, and I will never regret one moment of that cruise. Book the luau now to make sure you can get in on the night you are there. Passengers from all the cruise ships will be booking too, so get your name on the list. It's worth every cent.

Thank you Griffy116 for the thoughtful description of the OLL. I had read in a guide book that it was wonderful, but it's nice to hear from someone who was actually there. I am glad that you have such happy memories of this event!

Greg

Archived