questin about EVO

celticlady

Hi,

We are leaving on the Ruby March 6th for the Carribean. I have a new sprint evo and since this is my first smart phone I am still learning. Can anyone tell me if it will work on the ship? If so, does it cost extra? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'll probably be posting other questions now that the trip is just days away.

Call your cell phone carrier and specifically ask if your phone will accrue data charges even when you aren't using it (if it's on). I took my Droid HTC Incredible to Canada and even tho Verizon quoted me the price for phone calls and texts (rather cheap really) I found out there was a roaming charge for the data plan that could NOT be shut off. Thankfully found it out quick and transferred my number to my old EnV phone that did not have data.

The cell phone companies are sneaky so ask questions or you'll be shocked to see your bill when you return.

Call your cell phone carrier and specifically ask if your phone will accrue data charges even when you aren't using it (if it's on). I took my Droid HTC Incredible to Canada and even tho Verizon quoted me the price for phone calls and texts (rather cheap really) I found out there was a roaming charge for the data plan that could NOT be shut off. Thankfully found it out quick and transferred my number to my old EnV phone that did not have data.

The cell phone companies are sneaky so ask questions or you'll be shocked to see your bill when you return.

I agree that the cell phone companies are sneaky. You really, really need to turn your data capabilities all the way off when you cruise. Even if you're not using it, it's still receiving data. I just activated my smart phone last month and have gone round and round on the phone with customer service who said it wasn't possible to turn data off. I finally went into a Verizon store and told this nice young man behind the counter that I wanted to turn the data off and he said sure, zip, zip, and it was OFF!!!!

I agree that the cell phone companies are sneaky. You really, really need to turn your data capabilities all the way off when you cruise. Even if you're not using it, it's still receiving data. I just activated my smart phone last month and have gone round and round on the phone with customer service who said it wasn't possible to turn data off. I finally went into a Verizon store and told this nice young man behind the counter that I wanted to turn the data off and he said sure, zip, zip, and it was OFF!!!!

That's cool. My friend works at Verizon and he said my phone could not turn the data off. I took his word for it. Not worth the chance.

You gotta love how they will quote you prices for phone calls and text messages but will fail to mention your data charges.

Data roaming can be easily turned off under Settings-> Wireless & Networks -> Data Roaming. This will prevent data connections which are not Sprint (last time I checked the US Evo is only sold by Sprint). However the easier method is to disable 3G and 4G when you know Sprint is not available. The wireless (Wi-Fi) connection should work fine if you want to use the phone for internet via the ship's system. You will need to purchase an internet plan from the Internet Cafe to do this.;)

Archived