Folkstone or Batt beaches-Barbados

jackdiamond

We went to Folkestone Marine Park in November. A hurricane had recently been through the area, so the stairs to the water were broken. It was a difficult scramble over huge rocks to get to the water. There were some old picnic tables, but not much in the way of amenities. Snorkeling was not good due to heavy surf, but that was the result of the stormy weather that had gone through. All in all, I think I would have chosen another beach (not much "beach" there at all really) for the day if I had known about the water conditions & broken stairs. That being said, there was good shade and showers. No other amenities, although it looked like a nearby shop had water and souvenirs, but was closed. We chose Folkestone for the snorkeling, but with the cloudy water, it was disappointing. On a nice calm day it would probably be pretty good snorkeling. Water was nice and warm!

We would greatly appreciate the impressions of anyone who has visited either, or both, of the aforesaid beaches.

Thank you.

We have been to Folkestone 3 times. We like it for the snorkeling and that it is such a park like area. Right there is a very old church that you can tour. We go there by bus, you can get to the bus by walking off the ship, thru the shopping area, thru the taxi drivers, then take the sidewalk along the water to the right until you get to the bus terminal. Total time 10 minutes.

There are showers, lockers (bring your own lock) bathrooms, changing areas. There is a small store and a snack stand, we had a flying fish sandwhich there, 5$. You can rent beach chairs for 5$, there are umbrellas, don't know how much they are.

I can see that if there are storms near the surf could be too rough for good snorkeling, but we have always had good experiences.

When we are done at the beach we walk along the shore for awhile then walk up to the raod to take the bus back to the ship.

We really enjoy it!

We have been to Folkestone 3 times. We like it for the snorkeling and that it is such a park like area. Right there is a very old church that you can tour. We go there by bus, you can get to the bus by walking off the ship, thru the shopping area, thru the taxi drivers, then take the sidewalk along the water to the right until you get to the bus terminal. Total time 10 minutes.

There are showers, lockers (bring your own lock) bathrooms, changing areas. There is a small store and a snack stand, we had a flying fish sandwhich there, 5$. You can rent beach chairs for 5$, there are umbrellas, don't know how much they are.

I can see that if there are storms near the surf could be too rough for good snorkeling, but we have always had good experiences.

When we are done at the beach we walk along the shore for awhile then walk up to the raod to take the bus back to the ship.

We really enjoy it!

Thank you. Do you recall the approximate time from the taxi dispatch area to the bus stop?

Thank you. Do you recall the approximate time from the taxi dispatch area to the bus stop?

Thank you for your reply. However, it is not clear to me whether your time estimate of 10 minutes refers to the total time from the ship to the bus stop, or the time from the taxi dispatch area to the bus stop.l

The Fairchild Street Bus terminal is about 10-20 minute walk depending on your speed/ability.

This is from the ship, through the shopping area, past the taxis, through the gatehouse, down Princess Alice Hwy to Hwy 1 and right on Bridge Street across the river to the terminal.

Can't miss it.....easy deal. ;)

The Fairchild Street Bus terminal is about 10-20 minute walk depending on your speed/ability.

This is from the ship, through the shopping area, past the taxis, through the gatehouse, down Princess Alice Hwy to Hwy 1 and right on Bridge Street across the river to the terminal.

Can't miss it.....easy deal. ;)

Thank you; and, I assume from your post that the Bus terminal is just a short jaunt from the taxi place.

Well, I'm unsure what you mean by the taxi place.

The horde(s) of taxi drivers are located just after you exit the shopping area. Could this be the 'taxi place?'

DO NOT USE THESE GUYS!

THEY ARE CROOKS! PERIOD!!

If you are considering using a taxi for transport, continue past these thugs, through the gatehouse, out to Srping Garden Hwy and find an independent driver for 1/3 the cost. No worries! :D

Thank you Ming; and, yes that is what I meant. Based upon your advice, it would appear prudent to either obtain a taxi outside the dispatcher area of trot over to the terminal for a bus.

Yes, the total time from the ship to the bus terminal took us about 10 minutes, but like above poster said, that depends on how you walk and sometimes it is nice to just walk slow and absorb the area. The taxi drivers are quite agressive. :)

Yes, the total time from the ship to the bus terminal took us about 10 minutes, but like above poster said, that depends on how you walk and sometimes it is nice to just walk slow and absorb the area. The taxi drivers are quite agressive. :)

Thank you.

Archived